Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick tab (Ian Dury)

Beedster

I think MarloweDK should be canonised or knighted or something ( ok I know he's not British )

I've been watching his stuff for years, he's a bloody bass genius, no seriously, the guy is amazing. Any style, he's just got it. He does the best Carwash I've heard to, and it all looks so bloody effortless, great technique. If you haven't already had a look through his stiuff, I'd advise you remedy that asap.

B*ST*RD .......................I'm gonna break his hands one of these days. !!!

Jealousy is indeed a terrible thing.

Sorry to go off topic, but just had to flag him up.
Stewart

[quote name='dlloyd' post='398932' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:00 PM']From memory, there are quite a few errors with the Bassist transcription, not least of which is that the tab doesn't match the score in certain places (end of bar 7 for example has F on the 8th fret of the D string instead of the A).

I also disagree with the run at the end of the main riff, for example in bar 2:

---------------8--8--------
-----------8--------------
----8-11------------------
-------------------------

I would play

---------------8--8------
-----------6-------------
----6-8-----------------
-------------------------

And the verse is all over the place. I would play the first bar (bar 8):

---|-----10-8-8---------------------------------|
---|------------10-10-8-8-----------------------|
-8-|-(8)------------------11-11-8-8-10-10--*--*--|
---|--------------------------------------------|

(with * being 16th rests)

Bar 10's also wrong, but I'd need my bass to write the correct tab

That's what I play at least, but it seems to match the record and the NWR solo recording.[/quote]

thats what i play, too

I am old enough to remember hearing this song aged 6 on the radio when it first came out - I'm 36 now - I just remember loving the idea of a 'rhythm stick' - whatever that was - I had no real idea about bass, drums or whatever - I just loved the way Ian Dury sang the song. Definitely a personal fave.

But... I've never bothered to try and play the bassline - even though I've heard it a ton of times and could hear the general idea of it - i.e. fast 8th notes. I dig Marlowe's playing too and I just copied the line from the video and had it within a few views/listens - it's such a satisfying b-line to play - but hard work for sure.

My tip with any kind of bass line like this where you have to keep that constant groove going is to relax into it - and play lighter rather than dig in - you can accent notes better that way as well. Try and stay focused on the drums/beat - and while I would obviously try and cop what the might Norman does I would also feel free to improvise a little within the groove - like Marlowe does on the breakdown in the middle.

An Awesome Bass Line.

End Of ;)

Mike

• 10 months later...

Anyone know which edition of Bassist that comes from? I have most up to 1998 but cant find the one its in.
Beedster how are you getting on with the fretless version? I have just started to play fretless and an hoping i can get this down (would be happy to nail it with bass with rails though TBH!)
Cheers
Bri

• 5 weeks later...

My attempts:

Full speed:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh58NIRSPDw&feature=fvw"]Hit Me[/url]

Slowed down:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2PhJm_eMg&feature=related"]Hit Me![/url]

(Shows 2 options for the end of riff run...)

One finger right hand, for fun:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDEztzR8YI&feature=channel"]Hit me!![/url]

Story goes that NWR composed it soon after seeing Jaco with Weather Report. Wonderful.

[quote name='pete.young' post='374605' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:13 PM']There's a scurrilous rumour going the rounds that the great Norm did indeed tune his bass up a semitone to play this. Anyone want to confirm? Personally I can't see it because it's as easy to play in Fm as it is in Em tuned up.[/quote]

Get yourself to the Standard in London tonight and ask him!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It is an old thread for a great bassline. The playalong files can be found here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/158406-sight-reading-playalong-practice-files-now-with-fast-download/"]http://basschat.co.u...-fast-download/[/url] no TAB I'm afraid, don't bother with anything over 600 years old which has got worse not better since it was first invented. I prefer to stick with more modern ways of writing music, only 300 or so years old. The later allows you to play not only tunes you know but also tunes you don't, how clever is that?

Edited by wal4string

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...