Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick tab (Ian Dury)

Beedster

[quote name='Sean' post='370323' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:39 PM']Cheers for the transcription posting.

Just found a couple of things on it that might be worth pointing out...

in bar 2 after the F to Ab hammer on the Bb hammers on to C before the Eb staccato sixteenths.

Anyone else hear this?[/quote]
Fantastic. Do you play Dungeons & Dragons & like computers by any chance? I do and this is the kind of thing I would post if I [s]could bunk off work & get the wife and child out of the house[/s] had the talent.

EDIT: The only thing I ever picked out was a run in some Foo-Fighters song that Stuart Clayton [kindly] pretended he hadn't heard!

EDIT 2: I will learn this by the end of the year.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='ednaplate' post='369466' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:21 PM']Hope it works.

Cheers[/quote]

That bass-less track is grerat for rehearsing to. Where did you get it? Do you have any more, a library of those on here would be great?
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='pete.young' post='374605' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:13 PM']There's a scurrilous rumour going the rounds that the great Norm did indeed tune his bass up a semitone to play this. Anyone want to confirm? Personally I can't see it because it's as easy to play in Fm as it is in Em tuned up.[/quote]

It's certainly easier to mute in Fm so I doubt he tuned up?

[quote name='Sean' post='370323' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:39 PM']in bar 2 after the F to Ab hammer on the Bb hammers on to C before the Eb staccato sixteenths.

Anyone else hear this?[/quote]

I don't hear that, though you could put it in as a variation.

There is a difference in that bar between what Norm plays on the Blockheads site soundclip (and also the version I learned off the record) and what's on the sheet music.

I reckon Normans version has that run going C - Eb - F - Ab rather than C - F -Ab - Bb

There are number of ways to play that and I can't decide which one I like the best.

damn, if only this thread had popped up a few weeks earlier.

my bros drum teacher told me he'll give me £50000 if i got rythm stick nailed by jan 19th lol. obvs he wont give me the money, but i'd still have been happy to be able to play it by then. and i got exams this week so havent really got time to get this nailed by the 19th.

anyway, thanks a lot for that transcription! thats gonna be very helpful

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='378001' date='Jan 12 2009, 05:17 PM']damn, if only this thread had popped up a few weeks earlier.

my bros drum teacher told me he'll give me £50000 if i got rythm stick nailed by jan 19th lol. obvs he wont give me the money, but i'd still have been happy to be able to play it by then. and i got exams this week so havent really got time to get this nailed by the 19th.

anyway, thanks a lot for that transcription! thats gonna be very helpful[/quote]

One of us could pretend to be you and split the money :P

I can't get the mp3's to download .. ;)

Top tune and thanks for the tab. This is one of those "I'll know I'm okay when I can play..." tunes. I've been meaning to try it for ages and now I have no excuse. Been working on it for a couple of hours today and I can now play it! But slooowly...

Damn this is a fast tune - my poor old fingers. Had to slow it right down (can manage it at 85bpm - the original is 105 ;) ). I'll get there in the end.

[quote name='elom' post='383481' date='Jan 17 2009, 07:00 PM']Top tune and thanks for the tab. This is one of those "I'll know I'm okay when I can play..." tunes. I've been meaning to try it for ages and now I have no excuse. Been working on it for a couple of hours today and I can now play it! But slooowly...

Damn this is a fast tune - my poor old fingers. Had to slow it right down (can manage it at 85bpm - the original is 105 ;) ). I'll get there in the end.[/quote]

ive sorted it. i started at 85 bpm and throughout sort of half an hour upped it to 105 bmp. it wasnt too difficult, i just went up in set of 5 bmp and kept trying until i had it sorted at that speed, then went up another 5.

I dont understand all this tab nonsense. It's in F. There is a cheeky little A flat in the opening part and then your'e up the scale for the narration/ singing. The bit before the chorus I have seen played in a few different places. I have gone back down the neck to play it on the D and G strings.

Granted ... putting it all together and nailing it takes time, but I don't think finding out the actual notes being played is too hard.

The problem for me is that I have played it in a band for so many years that I have slightly bastardised the original (unintentionally) ;) . Sure, you would know what I am playing, but is it EXACTLY like the original. No. Do I lie awake at night. No.

[quote name='Beedster' post='373776' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:48 AM']That bass-less track is grerat for rehearsing to. Where did you get it? Do you have any more, a library of those on here would be great?
Cheers
Chris[/quote]
Hi Beedster,

This was from Guitarist magazine a few years ago. It had a guitar-free and bass-free track as well as the complete track. They ran a series of bass-free tracks for about 12 months back in 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant thread chaps,

Two weeks ago my bass teacher asked if there were any song I particularly wanted to learn. Having thought about it for a week I came up with this one and the Wishbone Ash's 'Handy' (of their first LP), so this thread has been brilliant for the former and the various sound tracks are now loaded onto my bass trainer.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt I'll ever get to play these out, but they'd both stretch my technique and agility somewhat, and after all, if you can play Rhythm Stick a lot of other bass lines must suddenly seem a lot less daunting.

That first video of someone playing it does seem a bit odd. Has he recorded it slower (to make it easier) and then sped it up to make it look more impressive? If so, then shame on him. If not then well done.

Clive.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='396756' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:08 PM']Brilliant thread chaps,

Two weeks ago my bass teacher asked if there were any song I particularly wanted to learn. Having thought about it for a week I came up with this one and the Wishbone Ash's 'Handy' (of their first LP), so this thread has been brilliant for the former and the various sound tracks are now loaded onto my bass trainer.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt I'll ever get to play these out, but they'd both stretch my technique and agility somewhat, and after all, if you can play Rhythm Stick a lot of other bass lines must suddenly seem a lot less daunting.

That first video of someone playing it does seem a bit odd. Has he recorded it slower (to make it easier) and then sped it up to make it look more impressive? If so, then shame on him. If not then well done.

Clive.[/quote]

That video has been messed up by youtube,

if you go onto youtube and search for marlowedk you will see that he has more than enough skill to play this tune!

I think we should have a basschat comp with this tune ;)

Set a deadline and have to post up a vid of us playing it and then create a poll for best performance :P

Jake

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='397804' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:06 PM']I think we should have a basschat comp with this tune ;)

Set a deadline and have to post up a vid of us playing it and then create a poll for best performance :huh:

Jake[/quote]

And a special prize for anyone who can play it on upright :P

I got it down on fretted and am now working on getting it right fretless, which sounds much better, although is a little tricky tuning-wise around the 3rd bar of the verse. Great training though :)

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='397804' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:06 PM']That video has been messed up by youtube,

if you go onto youtube and search for marlowedk you will see that he has more than enough skill to play this tune![/quote]

I've not checked, but I'll take your word for it, and I'm happy that this is the case.

Edited by Clive Thorne

From memory, there are quite a few errors with the Bassist transcription, not least of which is that the tab doesn't match the score in certain places (end of bar 7 for example has F on the 8th fret of the D string instead of the A).

I also disagree with the run at the end of the main riff, for example in bar 2:

---------------8--8--------
-----------8--------------
----8-11------------------
-------------------------

I would play

---------------8--8------
-----------6-------------
----6-8-----------------
-------------------------

And the verse is all over the place. I would play the first bar (bar 8):

---|-----10-8-8---------------------------------|
---|------------10-10-8-8-----------------------|
-8-|-(8)------------------11-11-8-8-10-10--*--*--|
---|--------------------------------------------|

(with * being 16th rests)

Bar 10's also wrong, but I'd need my bass to write the correct tab

That's what I play at least, but it seems to match the record and the NWR solo recording.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='398932' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:00 PM']Bar 10's also wrong, but I'd need my bass to write the correct tab[/quote]

Forgot about that last night, but it's basically the same as the opening riff for Come On Come Over by Jaco, shifted up a few frets.