Why become a member? ×

Professional Setups

wishface

Most of the shops/places (ie those local) that I've enquired seem to want you to hand over your instrment for 2 weeks while the tech puts it in the queue and deals with it in turn.

This doesn't seem desirable to me, not least of all because I only have one bass and I don't want to have nothing to play for two weeks (or more). 

More importantly, perhaps, since you the player isn't present, how can you be sure they'll set it up right? 

Is this practice the norm?

Yes, but you should learn how to set up your bass yourself, it's actually not that difficult, there's many tutorials on YouTube, which is how I learnt.

The benefit of being able to do it yourself is that you save lots of money, you get your bass set up how you like it (having a pro set up won't necessarily mean you will like how it plays or feels once done).

Also, if you change strings, and especially different tension's you'll have to set it up again anyway.

• Like 2

I did my own bass set-ups for years, then one time needed some work done that required more than my basic skills, so took the bass to a local guitar tech. He did the work and also set it up perfectly. He now knows exactly how I play and every bass I have has been through his hands. I now use only two on a regular basis, and will be taking them to him once  year to ensure they stay in peak condition. Costs me 50-60 quid a time - for the difference it makes, it is money well spent. 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 17:14, FinnDave said:

I did my own bass set-ups for years, then one time needed some work done that required more than my basic skills, so took the bass to a local guitar tech. He did the work and also set it up perfectly. He now knows exactly how I play and every bass I have has been through his hands. I now use only two on a regular basis, and will be taking them to him once  year to ensure they stay in peak condition. Costs me 50-60 quid a time - for the difference it makes, it is money well spent. 

Unfortunately the local techs are so buys (so I'm told) that it will take weeks and it'll be out of my possession then which means I'm not involved in the setup process.

On 25/09/2019 at 15:58, hooky_lowdown said:

Yes, but you should learn how to set up your bass yourself, it's actually not that difficult, there's many tutorials on YouTube, which is how I learnt.

The benefit of being able to do it yourself is that you save lots of money, you get your bass set up how you like it (having a pro set up won't necessarily mean you will like how it plays or feels once done).

Also, if you change strings, and especially different tension's you'll have to set it up again anyway.

Yes I've commented elsewhere on following these videos. The problem is I can't get the action as low as I'd like. I don't know whether that's beause it's just too low in general, or its uneven frets (which I can't fix anyway), or something else entirely. 

Or just a question of getting used to a slightly higher action. 

It's no good endlessly tweaking truss rods and string action

9 hours ago, wishface said:

Unfortunately the local techs are so buys (so I'm told) that it will take weeks and it'll be out of my possession then which means I'm not involved in the setup process.

Yes I've commented elsewhere on following these videos. The problem is I can't get the action as low as I'd like. I don't know whether that's beause it's just too low in general, or its uneven frets (which I can't fix anyway), or something else entirely. 

Or just a question of getting used to a slightly higher action. 

It's no good endlessly tweaking truss rods and string action

It's really worth finding someone who knows what they are doing - it was uneven frets that first had me look for a proper tech - not a kid in the local guitar shop! I am sure someone on here will be able to help if you let us know your location. I only know the area around Oxford.

What do you need doing? Pretty much everything is DIY, requiring no more skills than you require to tie your shoelaces.  I have had little joy of professional techs, and finally lost faith when one asked why I was paying him to do something I could do myself.  

3 hours ago, lownote12 said:

What do you need doing? Pretty much everything is DIY, requiring no more skills than you require to tie your shoelaces.  I have had little joy of professional techs, and finally lost faith when one asked why I was paying him to do something I could do myself.  

I'd like the string action to be a bit lower without buzz, assuming that's possible

On 26/09/2019 at 22:16, wishface said:

Assuming you've followed the set up videos and still can't get the action as low as you'd like, the only option left is to shim the neck. 

I've just done this on my P bass and its very easy. 

Here's what I did, not saying this is gospel, but it worked for me.

1. Took the neck off the bass

2. Took a small piece of thin card (think business card etc) cut a bit shorter than the width of the neck longways and maybe a 2cm wide. Then folded in half. 

3. Attached the bit of card to the heal of the neck about 1cm from the edge closest to the body with masking tape. 

4. Carefully put the neck back on the body being careful not to overtighten the screws. 

5. Restring, retune, check height. Bridge adjustment will probably be needed. 

6. If happy, sort intonation and crack on. If not, whip the neck off and add/remove a thickness as required. 

Hope this helps. If not, you need to get your bass to a tech I'm afraid. 

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
  • Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 15:17, wishface said:

Most of the shops/places (ie those local) that I've enquired seem to want you to hand over your instrment for 2 weeks while the tech puts it in the queue and deals with it in turn.

This doesn't seem desirable to me, not least of all because I only have one bass and I don't want to have nothing to play for two weeks (or more). 

More importantly, perhaps, since you the player isn't present, how can you be sure they'll set it up right? 

Is this practice the norm?

Point 1, why do you only have one bass?

Point 2, if you take your bass to someone who is good at their job they'll ask you how you want it set up. Then they'll do that. If you decide you don't like it I'd expect the good guys to change it. If you take it to repair guy who thinks it's smart to make fun of your decision to use him, then you've gone to the wrong guy. In this case the answer isn't always to do it yourself, it's to find a better guy.  If you find a good workman you can trust him.

Point 3, a DIY set up is doable, but how far can you go? If any other, more complicated stuff arises you can find yourself getting out of your depth in no time. If you feel confident you can handle truss rods, fret levelling etc carry on, but finding a good repair guy is as important as finding a good electrician or plumber.  

10 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Assuming you've followed the set up videos and still can't get the action as low as you'd like, the only option left is to shim the neck. 

I've just done this on my P bass and its very easy. 

Here's what I did, not saying this is gospel, but it worked for me.

1. Took the neck off the bass

2. Took a small piece of thin card (think business card etc) cut a bit shorter than the width of the neck longways and maybe a 2cm wide. Then folded in half. 

3. Attached the bit of card to the heal of the neck about 1cm from the edge closest to the body with masking tape. 

4. Carefully put the neck back on the body being careful not to overtighten the screws. 

5. Restring, retune, check height. Bridge adjustment will probably be needed. 

6. If happy, sort intonation and crack on. If not, whip the neck off and add/remove a thickness as required. 

Hope this helps. If not, you need to get your bass to a tech I'm afraid. 

Thanks, i've heard of shimming, but I'm not comfortable taking the neck off at this time. 

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Point 1, why do you only have one bass?

Point 2, if you take your bass to someone who is good at their job they'll ask you how you want it set up. Then they'll do that. If you decide you don't like it I'd expect the good guys to change it. If you take it to repair guy who thinks it's smart to make fun of your decision to use him, then you've gone to the wrong guy. In this case the answer isn't always to do it yourself, it's to find a better guy.  If you find a good workman you can trust him.

Point 3, a DIY set up is doable, but how far can you go? If any other, more complicated stuff arises you can find yourself getting out of your depth in no time. If you feel confident you can handle truss rods, fret levelling etc carry on, but finding a good repair guy is as important as finding a good electrician or plumber.  

1. Because I don't have the money for any more. I'm not a professional/gigging musician either, so any more would probably be an indulgence :D.

2. I don't know if the guy I mentioned (whoever he or she is) is any good. I would hope so. TBH that was my nearest shop but I have no idea if they have a good reputation for setups. They seem to have positive reviews on google, but I can't really find anything regarding techie stuff specifically.

3. of course

If you can't do it yourself, don't go to any sort of shop as they'll either farm it out to someone else or have someone in the shop who is always 'really busy' and will take weeks. Look on Facebook for a local guitar tech, go round and chat to them, most will do it whilst you wait. I found three here in York quite easily when I needed electronics doing.

26 minutes ago, wishface said:

Thanks, i've heard of shimming, but I'm not comfortable taking the neck off at this time. 

1. Because I don't have the money for any more. I'm not a professional/gigging musician either, so any more would probably be an indulgence :D.

2. I don't know if the guy I mentioned (whoever he or she is) is any good. I would hope so. TBH that was my nearest shop but I have no idea if they have a good reputation for setups. They seem to have positive reviews on google, but I can't really find anything regarding techie stuff specifically.

3. of course

Give us a clue about where you live and I am sure someone on here will be able to recommend someone local to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Give us a clue about where you live and I am sure someone on here will be able to recommend someone local to you.

I live in North Somerset

1 hour ago, ped said:

If you can't do it yourself, don't go to any sort of shop as they'll either farm it out to someone else or have someone in the shop who is always 'really busy' and will take weeks. Look on Facebook for a local guitar tech, go round and chat to them, most will do it whilst you wait. I found three here in York quite easily when I needed electronics doing.

The shops I've spoken to are quite up front about it taking weeks. So presumably they are that busy.

Finding a local tech who could do it directly would be very good and probably quite instructional.