Why become a member? ×

Tone Knobs (I don't use them)

Sardonicus

In all my years playing, I don't think I've ever used my tone knobs, I've always had everything full on and adjusted my sound with my right hand, if I want a rounder sound I play nearer the neck and if I want a brighter sound I play nearer the bridge.

In light of this, would it make any difference if I disconnected my tone knobs and just had the pickups wired to the volume knobs only?

I'd be interested in your comments.

Edited by Big Rich

1 hour ago, Big Rich said:

In all my years playing, I don't think I've ever used my tone knobs, I've always had everything full on and adjusted my sound with my right hand, if I want a rounder sound I play nearer the neck and if I want a brighter sound I play nearer the bridge.

In light of this, would it make any difference if I disconnected my tone knobs and just had the pickups wired to the volume knobs only?

@KiOgon I have been told by @Teebs that you are the Yoda of bass electronics, with your knowledge grace me you must.

• Like 1

If you remove pots and caps from the signal path, the signal gets slightly louder, and the frequency response gets a bit wider. This is the reason people talk about harshness. I have a bass with just a pickup wired to the output jack. I do the adjustments in the pedalboard and/or amp. Works like a dream - for me.

The thing to have pots in the instrument has a lot to do with being able to do some sound tweaking quickly. Two switches for vol and tone would be a very fast option.

(Carbon track pots are of low quality (noisy, unreliable...), but no one is interested in them, if the adjustments are needed. A higher quality conductive plastic pot - like blue Bourns - costs some more, but not that much.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Let's think about this thing another way around: vol + tone + bypass switch.

If you set vol fully ccw (to 0), the switch becomes a killswitch, if that is in need.

If the vol is set anywhere >0, you get two sounds from the bass with a flick of a switch.

I'm installing new pups soon so I'm going from vol+vol+tone+tone to vol+vol+tone.  It makes sense to keep a tone knob rather than try to fix what isn't broken.

On 25/09/2019 at 14:22, Big Rich said:

I've done a build and a number of mods for @wwcringe  (Tom) where the tone circuit is completely by-passable or isn't in place at all.   Tom's preference is, in any case, to use rotary switches rather than potentiometers so, in most cases, the signal is going straight from the pickup to the jack.

My view is the same as @Hellzero 's in terms of an A/B comparison but I doubt if you'd notice the difference as the volume and tone difference from different venues has a much bigger impact than any bypassing of a full-off pot would. 

Very easy to try it - it's just a single disconnected wire from the volume pot to the tone pot.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've done a build and a number of mods for @wwcringe  (Tom) where the tone circuit is completely by-passable or isn't in place at all.   Tom's preference is, in any case, to use rotary switches rather than potentiometers so, in most cases, the signal is going straight from the pickup to the jack.

My view is the same as @Hellzero 's in terms of an A/B comparison but I doubt if you'd notice the difference as the volume and tone difference from different venues has a much bigger impact than any bypassing of a full-off pot would. 

Very easy to try it - it's just a single disconnected wire from the volume pot to the tone pot.

I'll try it both ways, with the wire disconnected and then connected, I'll let my ears be the judges.

• Like 1

Schecter Baron H dUg pinnick signature bass is volume only as an example.

I have a bass I made with a Creamery 58 pick up (the pick up is amazing), which was wired with a Tonestyler Bass Ten. Took the tonestyler our for another project,  now it’s volume only-it’s still bloody brilliant, probably won’t bother with a tone knob at all now