Why become a member? ×

24/9/91 all three of these were released!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 24/9/91 all three of these were released!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday stating all three of these albums were released on the same day 28 years ago. Readers were asked which was their favourite and why. I was quite surprised at the comments as for me, there is a clear winner. What does the Basschat collective think?

• Nevermind by Nirvana
    • Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden
    • Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • I don't really think much of any of them

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You want me to add a ‘none of the above’ option to a poll asking which is your favourite out of these three albums?

IMO it would be interesting to see how many like myself were completely unaffected by these three supposedly influential albums.

There's nothing on either The Nirvana or RHCP albums that musically excites me (I didn't find them interesting at the time and still don't now) and while I don't think I know anything from that particular Soungarden album, what I've heard from their other albums leads me to suspect that I wouldn't find it enjoyable either.

If I had to pick an album that was important to me in 1991 it would be Massive Attack's "Blue Lines", although by far my favourite record of that year was the Blindfold EP by Curve.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

IMO it would be interesting to see how many like myself were completely unaffected by these three supposedly influential albums.

There's nothing on either The Nirvana or RHCP albums that musically excites me (I didn't find them interesting at the time and still don't now) and while I don't think I know anything from that particular Soungarden album, what I've heard from their other albums leads me to suspect that I wouldn't find it enjoyable either.

If I had to pick an album that was important to me in 1991 it would be Massive Attack's "Blue Lines", although by far my favourite record of that year was the Blindfold EP by Curve.

Oh, go on then 😏

Nevermind is my least favourite Nirvana album, and I actively hate a couple of songs from that album, although I love Bleach and In Utero. 

(and I can't stand RHCP) 

So Badmotorfinger. 

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You could throw that at any era and collection of albums though. I wasn’t even vaguely influenced by anything the Velvet Underground, Bowie, Stevie Wonder or Guns n Roses ever did, to pick a few artists at random, but evidently many people were.

At the time, the 3 albums mentioned were very big. I don’t think anyone is arguing that they influenced everyone, because that would be ludicrous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

What are you talking about? The best of 1991 was not the point of this thread. Which of those three specific albums do you prefer (and why) was what was asked.

I voted 'I don't really think much of them', so I've already answered that question.

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

I voted 'I don't really think much of them', so I've already answered that question.

Pook, are you one of those music snobs who only likes what most folks haven't heard of - on principal?

Cos I gotta tell you that I was like that in my youth, and to be fair it was awesome! 😀

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Pook, are you one of those music snobs who only likes what most folks haven't heard of - on principal?

Cos I gotta tell you that I was like that in my youth, and to be fair it was awesome! 😀

Not on principal.....it's just better that way.

:D :D

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

Nevermind is the most important of the three on a global scale, in that it had a huge impact on the scene and breathed new life into guitar rock which was suffocating under a haze of hairspray and spandex at that time. 

BSSM launched RHCP into the mainstream, when Under The Bridge became a hit, but my memory is that it was greeted as just another Chili Peppers album on its release, and took quite a while to build momentum. Whereas Nevernind was an instant smash BSSM bubbled away for a few months / years until it reached the status it now has. Give It Away didn’t even become a hit until 1994.

Badmotorfinger for me, just on personal preference. Admittedly I was too young to be aware of these albums in '91, so I was late coming to the party. BSSM was good, but the Chillis were never a big favourite of mine, and I remember Nevermind being an eye-opener when I heard it for the first time. I don't think I'm the only one on here who went through a Nirvana "phase" but got a bit fed up with them after a couple of years. To be honest, when I discovered Soundgarden, Cobain & co got pushed to one side.

I appreciate that Nevermind had a massive impact at the time. But I've gone back to it a few times since, and I just don't think it's aged very well. I think I understand why 14-year-old me was impressed by it, but grumpy *cough*-year-old me just thinks a lot of it sounds a bit dated and badly written. Badmotorfinger, in contrast, still sounds fresh and inventive. I'm sure plenty of you will disagree with me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I appreciate that Nevermind had a massive impact... I just don't think it's aged very well. I think I understand why 14-year-old me was impressed by it, but grumpy *cough*-year-old me just thinks a lot of it sounds a bit dated and badly written.

I'm sure plenty of you will disagree with me!

:o

:D

Bought Nevermind but I haven't played it in decades. Badmotorfinger still does get the occasional airing and IMO it's far better then Nevermind. As for BSSM, IMO the RHCP are one of the worst bands I've ever heard. Atrocious 'singer', horrible scratchy guitar sound,  an ok rhythm section and thin sounding material.

The best album released that day  and in that month for that matter is The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest, an absolute hip hop classic by one of the very best in the biz. Not far behind is  Screamadelica which was put out the day before.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

At the time, the 3 albums mentioned were very big. I don’t think anyone is arguing that they influenced everyone, because that would be ludicrous.

They influenced me a lot (well the Nirvana and RHCP albums did, I don't think I was aware of Soundgarden other than as a name at the time), to make make music that was nothing to do with what these bands were offering.

• Like 1

Because of this thread I listened to Nevermind last night as I quite liked it at the time. Well I listened to some of it. It's OK but not as good as I remembered it being. I've tried to like RHCP but I don't. Soundgarden I haven't even tried liking. All 3 albums are a bit too American and heroiny for me.