Why become a member? ×

24/9/91 all three of these were released!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 24/9/91 all three of these were released!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday stating all three of these albums were released on the same day 28 years ago. Readers were asked which was their favourite and why. I was quite surprised at the comments as for me, there is a clear winner. What does the Basschat collective think?

• Nevermind by Nirvana
    • Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden
    • Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • I don't really think much of any of them

I'm afraid as my playing came from the generation before i.e. Guns N Roses / Quireboys etc, this was the death of my era so I took an unnatural aversion to all of this. With hindsight I probably closed my mind and ears to a lot of new music but I wasn't ready to see the back of the current crop.... even though I'd be first to admit that the record industry had seriously diluted the talent pool with the likes of Warrant / Winger and those awful newer bands (at the time).

• Like 3

I went with Nevermind.

I'm probably a bit unusual for a bass playing Chilies fan in that, although it grew on on me, I wasn't particularly keen on Blood Sugar Sex Magik at first.

I preferred their earlier stuff. I've always thought they peaked with 'Mother's Milk'.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Teebs said:

All good, but Nevermind had a seismic influence at the time, and still sounds fresh today.

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

No contest as far as I can see.  Nevermind defined a new music genre and in its way changed the direction of contemporary music.

I think these posts pretty much sum it up.  Amazing album really.  Some great bass playing on it too.

• Like 1

there doesn't seem to be an actual question that we are being asked to answer

I like and have owned all three of the albums since they were released (and have owned several reissued, remixed and remastered versions since - in fact I've just got the new coloured vinyl reissue of Badmotorfinger) and saw two of the bands on those tours (sadly not Nirvana) but for me it depends on what is actually being asked:

• Most culturally significant?  Nevermind, no contest
  • Best bass playing?  Blood Sugar Sex Magic - again, no contest
  • My personal favourite and the one I've listened to most over time?  Badmotorfinger - again, no contest, but with Nevermind a very close second

And in all three cases, they're not my favourite albums by those bands

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2

Only recently bought Badmotorfinger but couldn't tell you anything about it sadly. I had it on in the background and it just didn't grab me but I did have my mind on other things. I need to be alone for a long car journey with that one. I LOVE Superunknown so I have high hopes. 

BSSM is a classic that I have listened to over and over and over for years and will never get tired of. Breaking the Girl, Under the Bridge, Sir Psycho, Naked in the Rain, Suck my kiss... All classics. 

Nevermind... Well I got kinda sick of all the Nirvana kids at college. I like it as an album, I like most of the songs, it had a massive impactin so many ways but it's not one I'd go back to and listen to again and again, in fact probably haven't listened to it in over 15 years. It just reminds me of all the kids hanging round outside Woolworths in their Nirvana hoodies desparate to be picked on for being "different", despite there being a huge gang of them all dressed the same, even though nobody gave a stinky poo enough to pick on them at all. Maybe just my experience from the backwards little town I grew up in, but thats what music does for me - clings to moments and memories and creates associations far beyond the content of the album. 

Edited by uk_lefty

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

there doesn't seem to be an actual question that we are being asked to answer

I like and have owned all three of the albums since they were released (and have owned several reissued, remixed and remastered versions since - in fact I've just got the new coloured vinyl reissue of Badmotorfinger) and saw two of the bands on those tours (sadly not Nirvana) but for me it depends on what is actually being asked:

• Most culturally significant?  Nevermind, no contest
  • Best bass playing?  Blood Sugar Sex Magic - again, no contest
  • My personal favourite and the one I've listened to most over time?  Badmotorfinger - again, no contest, but with Nevermind a very close second

And in all three cases, they're not my favourite albums by those bands

The question got lost in me deciding to add the poll 🙄

All subjective I suppose, but the question was ‘what’s your favourite?’.

(now edited)

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Haha 1

Badmotorfinger for me, can still listen to it and find it fresh and exciting and edgy. Not that the other two are too shabby, BSSM is a great sounding album with some great songs ( but maybe a bit samey) and Nevermind is obviously a classic but I probably overlistened to it back in the day..

I'm off to stand in a Jesus Christ Pose.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Amazing that those three were released the same day!

It was a 'vintage' year for music (IMHO), but in short, my vote goes to BSSM.

I'll never forget the first time I heard track 1, when my best mate (and drummer) stuck it in my CD player at home, just before we were getting off to a rehearsal.

Wow! It was like what I always wanted to play - but better! 😮

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

All good, but Nevermind had a seismic influence at the time, and still sounds fresh today.

I went with Nevermind too. Although I like the Chilli Peppers, and BSSM was a great album when it came out, and still stands the test of time
Nevermind was just something else IMO

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

(now edited)

If that’s the question, BSSM by a nautical mile. Like both the others, but not remotely as much as BSSM. However as others have said, Nevermind unquestionably had the most impact culturally, if not for me personally. BSSM was a game-changer for me at the time I discovered it (RHCPs are amongst my favourite bands, although unlike many others Flea hasn’t really been an influence; I was far more influenced by Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow, who I suspect - particularly based on BSSM - was also a big influence on Flea).

28 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You want me to add a ‘none of the above’ option to a poll asking which is your favourite out of these three albums?

Well, people do like to have a vote, even if they're not interested. I believe it's known as 'the pie option'.

1. Nirvana
  2. Soundgarden
  3. RHCP
  4. Pie

😄

Edited by Ricky 4000

Badmotorfinger is the king of the hill for me, Chris Cornell was one of the greatest rock singers of all time. I still listen to and love that album, Room a thousand years wide being the highlight for me. 

Whereas Anthony whatshisname is arguably one of the most atrocious singers I've ever heard, he's on a par with Springsteen. Flea is is an amazing bass player but the whole slap thing leaves me cold so this is definitely the worst of the 3 in my ignorant, ill informed opinion. 

Nevermind was, and still is, fantastic so that comes a close second to Soundgarden. 

• Like 2

Clearly Chiliwailer is going to choose the Chili's album...

But to be a protencious cynic too, and still being a Nirvana and Soundgarden fan, I'd say Bad Motorfinger can get too harsh on the trebles for me and Nevermind's inconsistent production can get on my tits sometimes.

For me BSSM is a creative peak that suits my soul right down to the ground.