Why become a member? ×

24/9/91 all three of these were released!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 24/9/91 all three of these were released!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday stating all three of these albums were released on the same day 28 years ago. Readers were asked which was their favourite and why. I was quite surprised at the comments as for me, there is a clear winner. What does the Basschat collective think?

• Nevermind by Nirvana
    • Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden
    • Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • I don't really think much of any of them

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I think Nevermind is one of those albums that captured the spirit of the times  but like Moby's Play few who bought it ever revisit it. 

For me, the novelty of Nevermind wore off pretty quick, especially after gigging 4 or 5 songs off it for a few months.

Alice In Chains were probably the band of that era/genre that I liked most.

• Like 1

Listen to BSSM once a week ish, Nevermind got rinsed when I was 16 - “Lounge Act” is still one of my favourite basslines. But I don’t go back to listen to Nirvana often.

Soundgarden I revisit once in a blue moon - again, rinsed by mates and brother so not for me.

BSSM is just lovely to me. All the polish of the later albums and retention of the cheeky stuff - flea really got this right and the Wal sounds ace throughout - and the MM Stingray 5.

Mothers Milk preceding it was a hint of what was to come but just hasn’t aged well - I still like it but I feel it’s follow up is less stuck in time.

• Like 2

I'm going to give Nevermind and Badmotorfinger a thorough play through, to remind myself of Nevermind and to have a second listen of Badmotorfinger. I know BSSM well enough otherwise I'd listen to all three together. Would be good to revisit as a group of albums and see what thoughts and inspiration it stirs. 

On 25/09/2019 at 16:16, Chiliwailer said:

So which is it for you Warren? 

I bet your purple Modulus it's BSSM 😁

So, I've listened to them all a couple of times since posting this.

@Chiliwailer - you were quite right, Blood Sugar Sex Magik all the way for me. I was going to re-iterate what I said on the FB post which was 'by a country mile', but I'd like to amend that. Badmotorfinger is actually a cracking album, but like you, I don't really care much for the production. Perhaps a better way to put it would be that it doesn't hold up very well against Rick Rubin's effort. 

I have nothing against Nevermind, there are some great tunes on it, but it doesn't feel (to me) like one cohesive unit the way BSSM does. I was once again reminded why I don't listen past Track #11 due to the drone of Something In The Way followed by that ridiculous ten minute silence and then the cacophony of Endless/Nameless.

I very much enjoyed listening to Badmotorfinger again and if the production was just that little bit better, it would be right on the tail of BSSM IMHO. 

For me, Red Hot Chili Peppers just got better and better by the album. When Slovak died, I thought they were done; then Mother's Milk came out. I didn't think they would make anything better. I must have played MM hundreds of times in the couple of years after it came out and I still love it. Much to my surprise and enjoyment the 2003 remastered edition contained extended versions of two of my favourite tracks from that album, Sexy Mexican Maid and Knock Me Down. Nirvana indeed.

I bought BSSM the week it came out and loved it. Subsequent playings have not diminished my opinion on the album, whereas as Nevermind, also bought the same week, now just feels a bit 'meh'.

Let us not forget that the BSSM recording sessions also gave us 'Sikamikanico' (which sounds more like MM era RHCP to me) as well as the mighty 'Soul to Squeeze'.

Right, I'm off to watch Funky Monks again 😀

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Does anyone here have the remastered version of Badmotorfinger that came out in 2016? I would be interested to know how different it sounds compared to the original version.

I would also like to hear the studio outtakes.

I've listened to the remasters on Spotify but frustratingly they don't have the original to compare, but the 2016 version sounds better in my opinion, without ruining the vibe of the original, just a bit more bass punch and the guitar sounds a bit more focused.

As an aside, I first heard BSSM, or more specifically Under the Bridge for the first time in 92 when visiting the States, I'd only just discovered RHCP through the Mothers Milk album and loved the infectious pop funk rock grooves and sense of fun they had. I learned once we arrived Stateside that they actually had a massive new hit single in the US charts and couldn't wait to hear it so spent all my hotel time watching MTV. When it eventually played, I couldn't believe it was the same band, everything I loved about Mothers Milk was gone!!!!! Of course, once I got the album and played it a few times I appreciated it for the masterwork it was, yes it was different but it was a necessary evolution of the band, and John Frusciantes guitar sound is a thing of wonder. Great days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Does anyone here have the remastered version of Badmotorfinger that came out in 2016? I would be interested to know how different it sounds compared to the original version.

I would also like to hear the studio outtakes.

yep.  Sounds brilliant

To me the bass is clearer, in fact everything seems clearer, with great separation overall, and you can hear what's happening on of some of the muddier parts now

To be honest, while it's nice to have all the extras (and I'm pleased they included the SOMMS tracks - took me forever to find that version  when it first came out) I'm not a great one for alternative versions of tracks unless there's a substantial difference - I tend to listen to them once and then never bother again.  I don't remember there being anything in there that makes me want to go back to those...although it's nice to have them

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Thanks 1

been re-listening to the albums over the last couple of days.  hasn't changed my opinion, but what a fantastic trio of albums they are

Nevermind still stands up for me.  I can understand the comments about it having been rinsed to death back in the day, but it's still full of great songs, and I don't have an issue with the mix.  I probably haven't listened to it for a few years now - I tend to favour In Utero if I'm going to pick a Nirvana album to listen to, and it does sit up there with some "classic" albums like Led Zep IV which are excellent, but seem like an uninspired/cliche'd choice to play as the songs are so well known...and then I listen to them and remember how brilliant they are

Badmotorfinger - still my favourite, and as above, the 25th anniversary version sounds excellent

BSSM - brilliant...but sooo very long.  Having mostly listened to it on CD for the last couple of decades, I'd forgotten that it was a double album.  Personal choice, but there are three or four songs that I wouldn't miss that could have been trimmed and made it an easier listen.  Plus the vocals...I've heard worse, but I've heard better.  It's odd that he sort of inhabits an area somewhere between singing and rapping, and isn't especially good at either.  Still, an excellent front man, and not the ugliest looking individual which never hurts a band.  But more than made up for by the music - how the bass takes the lead on almost everything, fantastic feel and never overplaying despite it's prominence, and the guitar playing the supporting role with funky chops and lead lines without needing to play big riffs

My vote hasn't changed - still Badmotorfinger, but it's been fun revisiting Nevermind and BSSM - thanks @hiram.k.hackenbacker

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I didn’t see this on the horizon anytime soon, but RHCP actually played Sikamikanico live in Rio yesterday.

It’s a tricky git of a song to get right at the best of times and I can see why they avoided it for so long, but they pulled it off just for Josh as it was his 40th birthday. Happy Birthday JK 🎉🎂🍺.

The video and audio in this excerpt is not as good quality as the full gig it’s extracted from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I didn’t see this on the horizon anytime soon, but RHCP actually played Sikamikanico live in Rio yesterday.

It’s a tricky git of a song to get right at the best of times and I can see why they avoided it for so long, but they pulled it off just for Josh as it was his 40th birthday. Happy Birthday JK 🎉🎂🍺.

The video and audio in this excerpt is not as good quality as the full gig it’s extracted from.

Phwoar. Love that tune

• Like 1