Why become a member? ×

24/9/91 all three of these were released!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

On 24/9/91 all three of these were released!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday stating all three of these albums were released on the same day 28 years ago. Readers were asked which was their favourite and why. I was quite surprised at the comments as for me, there is a clear winner. What does the Basschat collective think?

• Nevermind by Nirvana
    • Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden
    • Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • I don't really think much of any of them

Definitely Soundgarden for me. Whilst I loved Nirvana's Bleach, Nevermind was a far too polished production for my tastes back then. The Chilli's BSSM was just an ok album. 

Over the last 28 years I still listen to BadMotorFinger regularly, I've grown to like Nevermind. But BSSM bores me to tears, dear god it's dull.

Edited by bartelby

It's interesting (to me at least), that whilst 'grunge' and post- MOR Rock bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Mudhoney etc.) started having success in the late '80s & early '90s, a very different scene was happening in the UK, with bands like Primal Scream, Belle & Sebastian, Talk Talk, The Chameleons, World of Twist etc. and 'Madchester' / 'baggy' bands like The Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays etc.

The big American bands get remembered as defining the late '80s / early '90s, but I'm not sure that they really did - some of the British music from this era was pretty influential too.

Other albums released in September 1991:

Primal Scream - Screamadelica (23/9/91);

Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha (16/9/91);

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (19/9/91);

Orbital - Orbital (30/9/91);

and last, but definitely least...

Simply Red - Stars (30/9/91)!!!!!! :o 

Edited by Teebs
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Other albums released in September 1991:

Primal Scream - Screamadelica (23/9/91);

Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha (16/9/91);

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (19/9/91);

Orbital - Orbital (30/9/91);

and last, but definitely least...

Simply Red - Stars (30/9/91)!!!!!! :o 

See if you can guess which one of those my parents had a copy of...!

• Haha 1

1991 was a great year for music, I've still got most of these on vinyl:
Eight Track Stomp - Chickasaw Mudd Puppies
Uncle Anesthesia - Screaming Trees
Green Mind - Dinosaur Jr.
Piouhgd - Butthole Surfers
The White Room - The KLF
Ex:el - 808 State
The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld - The Orb
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
Flyin' the Flannel - Firehose
Blessed Are the Sick - Morbid Angel
God Fodder - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
O.G. Original Gangster - Ice-T
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
Schubert Dip - EMF
Gish - The Smashing Pumpkins
Like an Ever Flowing Stream - Dismember
Never Loved Elvis - The Wonder Stuff
Superstition - Siouxsie and the Banshees
13-Point Program to Destroy America - The Nation of Ulysses
1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day
Butchered at Birth - Cannibal Corpse
Frequencies - LFO
Steady Diet of Nothing - Fugazi
To Mother - Babes in Toyland
Ten - Pearl Jam
Foxbase Alpha - Saint Etienne
Trompe le Monde - Pixies
Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
Nevermind - Nirvana
Prove You Wrong - Prong
Ebbhead - Nitzer Ebb
Orbital - Orbital
Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black - Public Enemy
Human - Death
Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious - Carcass
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Clandestine - Entombed
Forest of Equilibrium - Cathedral

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Low End Bee said:

All 3 albums are a bit too American and heroiny for me.

Good point. My issue with grunge (or should I say early 90s American rock) is how destructive it was; not nihilistic in a punk sense but in self destructive sense. Too many drugs and too much smashed up equipment. Not that impressive.

Edited by BrunoBass

7 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Good point. My issue with grunge (or should I say early 90s American rock) is how destructive it was; not nihilistic in a punk sense but in self destructive sense. Too many drugs and too much smashed up equipment. Not that impressive.

I think Cobain smashed enough gear for all three bands...

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

BSSM launched RHCP into the mainstream, when Under The Bridge became a hit, but my memory is that it was greeted as just another Chili Peppers album on its release, and took quite a while to build momentum. Whereas Nevernind was an instant smash BSSM bubbled away for a few months / years until it reached the status it now has. Give It Away didn’t even become a hit until 1994.

True - I'd seen the RHCPs a couple of times touring Mother's Milk, playing at the Astoria, and they were complaining that they weren't sure they'd come back because nobody bought their albums over here.  The BSSM tour booked them into the Brixton Academy, so a slight improvement on the Astoria, but they only played about four or five dates in the UK, presumably because nobody anticipated how much the album would take off when they booked the tour.  It wasn't until One Hot Minute that they moved up to Wembley sized venues (and that was a terrible gig)

As I recall Badmotorfinger was seen as good, solid progress from an up and coming band, but they stayed quite underground and didn't really take off until Superunknown

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

They influenced me a lot (well the Nirvana and RHCP albums did, I don't think I was aware of Soundgarden other than as a name at the time), to make make music that was nothing to do with what these bands were offering.

But just because you weren’t positively influenced by them doesn’t mean plenty of others weren’t. In the context of the original question, you needn’t have bothered answering. If it had been specifically aimed at you, then ok, but it wasn’t. Surely it would have been easier to just think “doesn’t apply to me” & move on? That’s what I’d have done if the options were Lou Reed, Guns n Roses and Simply Red.😉

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

Definitely Soundgarden for me. Whilst I loved Nirvana's Bleach, Nevermind was a far too polished production for my tastes back then.

the production on that record is horrible.

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

1991 was a great year for music, I've still got most of these on vinyl:
Eight Track Stomp - Chickasaw Mudd Puppies
Uncle Anesthesia - Screaming Trees
Green Mind - Dinosaur Jr.
Piouhgd - Butthole Surfers
The White Room - The KLF
Ex:el - 808 State
The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld - The Orb
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
Flyin' the Flannel - Firehose
Blessed Are the Sick - Morbid Angel
God Fodder - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
O.G. Original Gangster - Ice-T
Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
Schubert Dip - EMF
Gish - The Smashing Pumpkins
Like an Ever Flowing Stream - Dismember
Never Loved Elvis - The Wonder Stuff
Superstition - Siouxsie and the Banshees
13-Point Program to Destroy America - The Nation of Ulysses
1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day
Butchered at Birth - Cannibal Corpse
Frequencies - LFO
Steady Diet of Nothing - Fugazi
To Mother - Babes in Toyland
Ten - Pearl Jam
Foxbase Alpha - Saint Etienne
Trompe le Monde - Pixies
Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
Nevermind - Nirvana
Prove You Wrong - Prong
Ebbhead - Nitzer Ebb
Orbital - Orbital
Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black - Public Enemy
Human - Death
Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious - Carcass
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Clandestine - Entombed
Forest of Equilibrium - Cathedral

Some top notch stuff there...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Polished in a bad way

kind of depends...

Personally I prefer In Utero because it's much more raw, but Nevermind was mixed to sell a bazillion copies, and it certainly did that. 

So we might not be sat here discussing the cultural significance of Nevermind if it hadn't been mixed that way

You can get the original Butch Vig mixes as part of the super deluxe reissue from a few years ago, but supposedly the band didn't think those worked and they picked Andy Wallace to do the final mix.  Which they loved in the studio...and then hated when the album came out and they realised it was more hair metal than punk rock.  I've got quite a lot of stuff that Andy Wallace mixed, and he's very good at making bands sound "big"

10 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

So we might not be sat here discussing the cultural significance of Nevermind if it hadn't been mixed that way

yeah Butch Vig did a great job at making it usable for tampons commercials and influencing a ton of crap MTV bands the world would have done very well without.

Great lesson on how you turn something decent into crap generating MORE crap.

I woulnd't have missed nevermind if if it was never published honestly.

Edited by oZZma

13 minutes ago, oZZma said:

yeah Butch Vig did a great job at making it usable for tampons commercials and influencing a ton of crap MTV bands the world would have done very well without.

Great lesson on how you turn something decent into crap generating MORE crap.

I woulnd't have missed nevermind if if it was never published honestly.

In this world there is music that you like and music that you don't like.  And there's plenty of both

Life is much easier if you concentrate on the stuff you like and ignore the stuff you don't

I think Nevermind is one of those albums that captured the spirit of the times  but like Moby's Play few who bought it ever revisit it. I have both albums but have played neither for at least 15 years. Way past time to offload them onto Sue Ryder though I cant imagine who'd buy them.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

In this world there is music that you like and music that you don't like.  And there's plenty of both

Life is much easier if you concentrate on the stuff you like and ignore the stuff you don't

my stupidity tolerance treshold is very low.

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

But just because you weren’t positively influenced by them doesn’t mean plenty of others weren’t. In the context of the original question, you needn’t have bothered answering. If it had been specifically aimed at you, then ok, but it wasn’t. Surely it would have been easier to just think “doesn’t apply to me” & move on? That’s what I’d have done if the options were Lou Reed, Guns n Roses and Simply Red.😉

But one of the response possibilities was 'I don't really think much of any of them'  so he's perfectly within his rights to discuss why.   

1 minute ago, oZZma said:

my stupidity tolerance treshold is very low.

a mate of mine posted on FB seconds after Download announced it's 2020 headliners on Monday that it was a poor lineup and he wouldn't be going unless they much improved the undercard, just furious that they weren't putting on bands that he personally wanted to see.

And seconds after that another mate posted that Download are probably pretty confident that they can find 90,000+ people who will buy tickets to see Kiss, Iron Maiden and System Of A Down and nobody will be crying because he's not there

I wouldn't say that anybody who does like Nevermind is stupid, or any of the multi millionaires who made it are stupid either.  Popularity is no indicator of quality, but these arguments never get beyond "I don't personally like it". 

• Like 1