Why become a member? ×

Paul Simonon’s Precision bass

BrunoBass

I’m looking for a detailed specification of Paul Simonon’s famous Precision bass - the maple necked model he smashed on the cover of London Calling, not the rosewood necked model he still plays today. 

It looks like it’s a Seventies model and I assume it’s all stock, but can anyone shed any more light please? 

F082E3BF-4CAC-4BA0-87DC-4BFE60305F39.jpeg

• Like 1

I think it was an early to mid 70's job. (and stock)

The one he plays now I think was a fretless (might even be a jazz neck) that he got fretted, seems the neck and body might be from different basses. Not sure but that's my guess.

Edited by Highfox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Anyone know what strings he used? It sounds like rounds on some and flats in other songs. The white bass he still uses today seems to be strung with d'addario rounds but the bass he smashed and is on museum display seems to have flatwound strings with red silk so probably roto flats.

On 25/09/2019 at 14:19, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Looks like a job for...

RepairShop_TXCardV2.jpg

Julyan Wallis, who does the fretted instrument repairs for that, has a workshop just outside Penzance. I took nearly all my instruments to him for setups when I lived in Cornwall. Sound bloke and excellent luthier.

Edited by asingardenof
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...