Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for PJ set (Darkglass Tone Capsule)

DanTM

Hello there !

So I have all those PJ bass parts coming in soon and the PJ pickups are the only parts that are missing.

This bass will be played in D standard and will be used for Stoner/Doom/Sludge music only.

I will use a Darkglass Tone Capsule with 18V and now I am looking for a good set of PJ pickups.

I have my eyes on four different "sets":

- Häussel BigMag P and J
Those pickups have 9,5mm MM style pole pieces (Alnico V magnets)

- Aguilar HOT P and J (Unfortunately they are not available as a PJ set)
- Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ set
- Rio Grande Muy Grande PJ set
Aguilar, SD and Rio Grande have 6mm pole pieces (Also Alnico V magnets)

The problem is --> I've never played any of them. They are only on my radar because of youtube videos and reviews on the internet.

Does anyone of you have experience using one of those sets in combination with the Darkglass Tone Capsule ?

Thank you very much in advance
Dan

Tell you what, you have picked a very niche question, which prolly won’t elicit many responses!

A good thing would be to look at the tone profiles of each pick up, Seymour Duncan do that nicely on their website as it will tell you how toward they are in each band. The DG tone capsule as you know gives a low, low mid and upper mid push, less the treble (although there may be some crossover). I know you are playing stoner rock, but you may want to consider a more treble forward pick up just to keep that bite as you will be controlling that frequency less if that makes sense.

I’ll throw something else in there with the Sandberg black label pick ups. Them and the DG tone capsule are in the Grand dark bass (although that is a JM configuration), by if you can play one in a store it may give you an idea of how things work as they are very balanced but very punchy pick ups.

Haussel are inherently hot and mid forward from what I have played,  I haven’t played the Haüssel P but I have extensively played the Jazz pick ups both small and large pole and they are very very nice, but mid forward and hot. The neck solo’d on a J pick up goes very close to P territory.

Aggie’s tend to be veering towards a more vintage type sound and QPs are decent and punchy, fairly modern.

Sorry I cannot give exact match for match but hope it helps a little

I was just about to suggest the DiMarzio Model P/J too, same as the ones in the bass above. The J is a split humbucker to keep the noise down. More output and bass than a typical P/J pickup, but not over the top or scooped. Black polepieces too, if you're into the stealth look!