Why become a member? ×

Power supply for small pedalboard suggestions

Friskydingo

I'm getting a small pedalboard along the lines of a pedal train nano or palmer pedalbay 50, whatever has the most clearance.

I need another power supply as my current one is too tall to put underneath and is in use for my other board. 

Anyone have expertise of what will fit underneath? 

Only parameters, it has to have 4+ outputs, preferably isolated but not necessary and can fit underneath the board, thanks. 

And if it matters I'll be powering low powered pedals, tc electronic polytune, orange kongpressor, mooer chorus and Carl martin dc drive 

There are a few made for the job that fit perfectly under a Nano:

• Cioks DC5 / DC7
  • Truetone CS6
  • Strymon Ojai R30

Or just get a simple 9V daisy chain like a One-Spot. Sometimes you might find a pedal that introduces noise onto the chain, necessitating a power supply with isolated outputs, but 9 times out of 10 you'll be fine without! 

40 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

There are a few made for the job that fit perfectly under a Nano:

• Cioks DC5 / DC7
  • Truetone CS6
  • Strymon Ojai R30

Or just get a simple 9V daisy chain like a One-Spot. Sometimes you might find a pedal that introduces noise onto the chain, necessitating a power supply with isolated outputs, but 9 times out of 10 you'll be fine without! 

I was thinking about that and just hope for no noise

4 hours ago, Friskydingo said:

I was thinking about that and just hope for no noise

I ran a 9V daisy chain with several pedals for years with no issues. When I started doing a lot of practice with headphones, I noticed a lot of noise in my chain, so got a Cioks DC5. It did not solve my noise issues, that turned out to be my patch cables!

Nowadays I have my pedals mostly sprawled over the floor of my music room with a 9V daisy chain and don't notice any noise issues with 7 pedals in the chain.

Zoom/EHX digital pedals (TC and Mooer seem to be fine!) and some pedals with internal 9V-18V charge pumps seem to be the main culprit for noise in my experience and will require a separate power supply or just one with isolated outputs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've got a Vitoos Iso8 and it's great (and genuinely fully isolated). I've bought a Vitoos PS1 off the back of that, which I haven't yet pressed into service. If you have 12V or 18V requirements, both will do those but the Iso8 is more flexible.

I've seen test online where the first 2 inputs with changeable voltage are isolated and the other 6 aren't. They're just daisy chain. So only 3 are isolated 

6 hours ago, Friskydingo said:

I've seen test online where the first 2 inputs with changeable voltage are isolated and the other 6 aren't. They're just daisy chain. So only 3 are isolated 

Which one? I checked the Iso8 with a multimeter which is why I say it has genuinely isolated outputs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjvqrm1kPHkAhUzonEKHeleDrsQxa8BMAB6BAgAEAI&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Or search guitarpusher is his channel or leothemetal. They do comprehensive checks and concur 6 outputs are daisy chain and don't have a short circuit safety which Harley Benton does. 

They're not the most charismatic people but informative 

Ok, so I looked over the videos and details of the power supplies again and the Harley Benton iso 2 pro has 8 isolated outputs separate from each other, while the Vitoos, sometimes known as Fame and other budget brands, are not all isolated. 6 outputs are daisy chained.

So I’ll get the iso 2 and some longer screws so it fits under the board

Link doesn't work in Chrome or Firefox. Vitoos Iso8 is fully isolated, but don't believe me if you don't want to. As it's identical to the Harley Benton, it seems quite likely I'm right. Not sure about the PS1, there seems something rather odd about that when I go over the outputs in the same way so I'll reserve judgement on that.

I know you want isolated but I've had no issue with daisy chain on my nano pedalboard setup, but the key is not getting the cheap PSU's.  The BOSS PSA 230 with a good quality daisy chain, I use the BOSS one, works fine for me and the PA doesn't complain about noise.  I also power a Polytune and then daisy chain from there, not sure if that makes a difference?

Some effects are really fussy about isolated power supplies - I have a Zoom B3n and that doesn't like unisolated supplies at all. I'm going to swap the Vitoos PS1 into that pedalboard at some point in the near future (replacing the Vitoos Iso8 that's in there now) to find out whether it is or isn't properly isolated.

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

Some effects are really fussy about isolated power supplies - I have a Zoom B3n and that doesn't like unisolated supplies at all. I'm going to swap the Vitoos PS1 into that pedalboard at some point in the near future (replacing the Vitoos Iso8 that's in there now) to find out whether it is or isn't properly isolated.

Keep me updated as I'm selling my power supply to buy a Vitoos Iso8 

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

A quick test showed the PS1 had insufficient oomph to power a Zoom B3n, so results are inconclusive. It will power a B3, so I'll experiment a bit more later.

Could the Vitoos Iso8 power all 8 pedals comfortably? No glitching, cutting out or overloading?