Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB3 basses, opinions please

uk_lefty

I have unreasonable GAS for one of these. Unreasonable because:

1. I'm not after a distinctive sound from them

2. They don't do them left handed

However I want a black one so badly I'd be willing to convert the nut and play it upside down. I just love the look of them. I have other good basses including a Japanese P but I just think that for rock stuff I want an EB3. 

Tell me why this is madness/ the best idea ever. 

I speak from the experience of someone who's been playing one since something like 2010*.

It's madness because: they weigh a tonne, they are rather neck-divey, and they have a very particular sound.

It's the best idea ever because: that particular sound gives you a nice, fat low-mid authority which can sit well in certain styles of rock music; they're also very articulate at the dusty end of the neck, and the neck profile is rather nice for twiddly stuff. Having the two humbuckers does also make them surprisingly versatile. (Upgrading the neck humbucker with a DiMarzio Model One tightens up 'that' sound nicely, and is coil-tappable for even more versatility.)

And, perhaps most importantly, they look f***ing awesome.

*I recorded the majority of this album on an EB3, if you want to hear how it sits in a rock context

• Thanks 1

I'm a P guy, and over the years have had gas for the epi eb3, owned a few and ended up selling them on shortly after because the cons heavily outweigh the pros.

Best solution I found was to put a solderless loom in my P bass (so I can easily change pickups), install some SD QPers and roll off the tone a little. Could also change the capacitor to a 0.1 and you'll get the eb3 tone no problem. High output, tonnes of lows and low mids, will rumble no matter what amp you use! 😎

9 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm a P guy, and over the years have had gas for the epi eb3, owned a few and ended up selling them on shortly after because the cons heavily outweigh the pros.

Best solution I found was to put a solderless loom in my P bass (so I can easily change pickups), install some SD QPers and roll off the tone a little. Could also change the capacitor to a 0.1 and you'll get the eb3 tone no problem. High output, tonnes of lows and low mids, will rumble no matter what amp you use! 😎

I'd prefer to do the opposite... Have the sound of a P but the look of an EB3

I went through an Epiphone phase about 15yrs ago and wound up owning most of the range. The Jack Cassady bass stood out as my personal favourite, followed closely by the Thunderbird... in fact I might flip that order. The EB-3 had neck dive (which didn't bother me) and mine was actually really light. The reason it didn't go the distance was that the pickups were so weak and feeble. I toyed with the idea of doing it up but the decent pickups were the same value as the bass so I cut my losses. I'm assuming the pickups have been upgraded since then. The Flying V also had the same problems (despite being short scale), in case anyone wondered.

11 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

What is the string spacing like on these? I let an awesome bass go recently because the string spacing was too tight. I'm used to the Fender jazz type string spacing, not keen on them being too close together. 

Also does the EB3 give a bit of P bass style clank? 

If you want something with Fender Jazz spacing and P-bass type clank you should buy a Fender Precision with a Jazz neck.

These other basses exist because they offer something different in feel and sound.

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you want something with Fender Jazz spacing and P-bass type clank you should buy a Fender Precision with a Jazz neck.

These other basses exist because they offer something different in feel and sound.

Thanks for the comment but I am asking how this bass compares using familiar reference points because I have not had the chance to personally experience this bass and its unique feel and sound. 

The neck on mine is quite narrow (Gibson-style basses often are), though a similar depth to a Precision neck. I think my Schecter has a Jazz-like neck profile and string spacing, and things definitely feel a little closer together on the EB-3. I don't personally find it claustrophobic, but then I've never been too fussy about spacing.

It won't clank in the same way as you'd expect from a Precision, but it has its own take on aggressive sounds. The neck pickup provides a lot of deep "woof," and you can turn that into quite a distinctive "bark" by blending it with the bridge pickup. Different from Precision clank, but delightfully raucous in its own right.

• Thanks 1

EB-3 is 18mm string spacing and 38mm nut if I remember correctly. I have not had the Epiphone long scale version, but have had the limited edition short scale and a Revelation short scale EB3 copy... for me that's what the EB3 is about....short scale that produces thumpy, fundamental meaty bass tones, with a big dollop of bass, bass errr… and more bass... and the awesome look! The little pickup helps to cut through somewhat, but P bass "clank".....nah.. not really their thing. As mentioned, they can produce their own uniquely aggressive barky sound.

The bridge pickup used by itself is not that great IMO, though is that not how Jack Bruce used his Gibson to get "that" sound ?

• Like 1