Why become a member? ×

Some advice required.

Sardonicus

I'm going to swap the EMG-SSD pickups in my Spector Performer 4 for a pair of Music Man style pickups and the new installation will have the same wiring as a jazz bass, 2 volume and 1 tone,  as the current 2nd tone knob (at the bottom of the picture) is now going to be redundant, do I disconnect everything from that knob, the leads and capacitor etc and just leave it on its own?

It's my first time swapping pickups so I just wanted to get some advice before I crack on.

The photo below is of the current wiring, the knob at the top is the bridge volume, the knob on the right is bridge tone, t he knob at the bottom is neck tone and the knob on the left is the neck volume.  The schematic is what I was emailed and the last pic is a screenshot about the new pickup wiring.

12.PNG

2.png

100.png

I reckon so - it’s now just a dummy knob.

Everything has to be pretty much unsoldered and then re-done for your new project, and then leave it there as a dummy knob.

Save the picture and or draw the schematic should you wish to change back at some point and good luck, sounds like it will be great

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I reckon so - it’s now just a dummy knob.

Everything has to be pretty much unsoldered and then re-done for your new project, and then leave it there as a dummy knob.

Save the picture and or draw the schematic should you wish to change back at some point and good luck, sounds like it will be great

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, draw the old schematic and keep it just in case, thanks for commenting 👍

• Like 1

Whoever owned the bass before me had a go at the wiring and it's a shambles so I'm going to rip everything out and fit all new.

I've got a pair of passive P28 Music Man style pups 7.14k ohms from C.H.Guitars http://www.chguitars.co.uk/pickups/bass-pickups/p28-music-man-style-bass-pickup-1991.html and they have recommended to fit A500K log pots for the 2 volume, a B500K lin pot for the tone and a 0.022uf cap.  Does anyone have experience of changing the pups in a Performer and how does this look to you?

Any comments would be greatly received.

25 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I would ask John @KiOgon whether he can make you up a solderless loom for your new project. The quality is excellent. You could then drop it in with the new pickups and then rebuild the existing loom at your leisure whilst still having an operational bass. 

I have already been in touch with @KiOgon and his knowledge and advice has been invaluable.  I’m going to do the work myself as it’s something I’ve always fancied doing, thanks for commenting 😁👍🏻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

* Update *

I put the Music Man style pups in and they sound great, they’re louder and clearer than the EMG-SSD’s that were fitted before.  I didn’t enjoy soldering and I’ve clearly made a slight mistake somewhere as the neck pickup volume knob doesn’t shut off fully and the tone knob isn’t operating 100% 🤷🏻‍♂️, at least I gave it a go.  Tomorrow I’m off to my local guitar shop to get them to rectify my handiwork 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Big Rich
Grammatical error