Why become a member? ×

A bass album that really affected you?

Angel

11 hours ago, MGB said:

This is just such a great musical album with all players being in topform but for me as a bassplayer Jeff Berlin stood out even more.

cover_83421822014_r.JPG.jpg

+1 on this album. Saw bass playing in a different light when i heard this. Was lucky enough to see Jeff Berlin with John McLaughlin back in 80's. Been a fan of Jeff's since. Can't play like him but i can dream a lot.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Yep to the Rattus Norvegicus, and most Rush stuff, lots of bass driving the songs. Slightly more subtly, Lizzy's stuff is a favourite, too.

Solo bass albums? I've bought a few and got rid: a bass solo'ed is like a comedian explaining comedy: instructional, and occasionally interesting, but not the point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

+1 on this album. Saw bass playing in a different light when i heard this. Was lucky enough to see Jeff Berlin with John McLaughlin back in 80's. Been a fan of Jeff's since. Can't play like him but i can dream a lot.

Dave

was that with Trilok Gurtu on percussion?  I caught that tour in Leeds - would have been 1987 or 8 I believe. had bought the tickets thinking it would be jonas Hellborg on bass but was more than blown away when jeff played joe frazier. 

back on topic, the first album brought out by a bassist that I really noticed was Squire's fish out of water. Then Jaco Pastorious'eponymous debut and Stanley's I wanna Play for you. 

• Like 1

Stan the man - School days and that 1st solo (brown cover). It isn't my playing, but showed the variety of possibilities.

Level42 helped me to find several instrument details like different string gauges.

All records, where bassist is that magical ingredient that makes the arrangement work. Take the bass away and the song is lifeless. 

All players that play only the right notes in right places. They don't need to play every note but are able to simplify.

Cest Chic I wore this old vinyl copy out I bought in 1994. I bought it from an old crumbling record shop in Blaydon it still had the plastic and original price tag on it. Bernard and the band were just the pinnacle of tight funky playing. I always thought to myself why does no one realise how great these guys were. 20 years later everybody finally realised. Guess daft punk must have been thinking the same.

Again not a bass album as such but Hooky's work on " Closer" certainly had some effect on me...I actually had that before "Unknown Pleasures" ( and, strangely, some time before I ever heard LWTUA  or Transmission as well...), knew I was hearing something special even then

• Like 4

4 hours ago, YouMa said:

Cest Chic I wore this old vinyl copy out I bought in 1994. I bought it from an old crumbling record shop in Blaydon it still had the plastic and original price tag on it. Bernard and the band were just the pinnacle of tight funky playing. I always thought to myself why does no one realise how great these guys were. 20 years later everybody finally realised. Guess daft punk must have been thinking the same.

I bought Sister Sledge “We Are Family” in the very early ‘80s. Plenty of people realised how good Bernard and the boys were at the time.😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, davepb24 said:

Again not a bass album as such but Hooky's work on " Closer" certainly had some effect on me...I actually had that before "Unknown Pleasures" ( and, strangely, some time before I ever heard LWTUA  or Transmission as well...), knew I was hearing something special even then

Being born in '73 I was too young to appreciate Joy Division when they were around. I got into them in my early teens through New Order and JD's Substance was the first album that really made me think about the bass, that and Power, Corruption and Lies. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maude said:

Being born in '73 I was too young to appreciate Joy Division when they were around. I got into them in my early teens through New Order and JD's Substance was the first album that really made me think about the bass, that and Power, Corruption and Lies. 

Lol I'm a few years older but just missed JD, my school class was very much rock/metal, no problem there but I was the only Status Quo fan and got laughed at for having their name down one strap of my rucksack and OMD's on the other...honestly did not get the connection between JD and New Order for quite some time either... :-0

Not bass albums strictly, but the bassists were certainly a driving force in the bands that made these records: Rob Wright (NoMeansNo), Mike Watt (Minutemen), David Wm. Sims (Jesus Lizard). It was a revelation when I found this stuff - bass mags at the time only seemed to go on about Stanley Clarke or Jaco Pastorious. I know they're great players and all, but their smooth waffle meant nothing to me (and to be honest, it still doesn't). 

I did however eventually find Charles Mingus, and that felt good.

download.jpg

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

download-3.jpg

Edited by D.A. Smalls

20 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

As well as Bootsy this had a definite influence on me, though it's only a lowly single!

The first two Bauhaus albums were (I was going to say influential, perhaps not the right word) eye-openers for me in a kind of ‘sonic palette’ way, what was actually possible with guitar, bass and drums. Excellent albums and a great live band especially around the time of Mask.

10 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

great live band

Indeed! Saw them a number of times, and even attempted a Daniel Ash hairstyle using gallons of hair lacquer. Due to my rather flyaway barnet this was doomed to failure, especially as, being Oop North it was windy and rainy 90% of the time!

For me, at that age, the ones that stood out specifically for bass, and in terms of sound and presence more than pure technical skills, would have been Introduce Yourself by Faith No More (and to a lesser extent The Real Thing) and Live & Cuddly by NoMeansNo (actually from the tour of Wrong, as selected by @D.A. Smallswhich I now listen to far more frequently)

Never really been a fan of solo/instrumental bass albums.  the only ones I bought back then (in fact the only ones I've ever bought) were the first couple of solo albums by Stuart Hamm, and only then because I'd been dragged along to see Joe Satriani on the Surfing With The Alien tour, Stu was playing bass, and his bass solo was the only remotely entertaining part of an evening of remorseless widdling.  But I found the albums to be pretty dull AOR, and only really liked Moonlight Sonata on Radio Free Albemuth

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

This was another of my most influential bass albums:

950BFD4F-4DFE-4A4F-87D3-992B71F154B2.jpeg

WITC was an awesome tune and I loved that bassline. I recall the promo vid where the bassist had a Wal and a Trace rig and thought the tone was ace. Wasn't so sure about his shorts, though.....

• Haha 1