Why become a member? ×

A bass album that really affected you?

Angel

I was at Art college in Norwich having the time of my life 82-85. I found a lot of great music, saw lots of great gigs and probably did a bit of art as well somewhere. 

Out of the blue I just remembered today an album that blew my mind when I bought it in back in 85. I literally haven't heard it for decades as my copy is vinyl, and we have had no room in our house for my record player over the past 27 years of marriage. I need to buy a copy on CD!!!

Anyway, yeah so this is it - Stanley Clarke, Find out!

I absolutely adored that active bass sound. The playing was immense and the songs were catchy and vibrant. I bought a bunch of Stanley Clarke records afterward, but this one has always been my favourite. 

R-4440000-1370351686-2025.jpeg.jpg

The first solo bassist I heard was Michael Manring, that was when I heard bass being played as an instrument, rather than fulfilling a function. The bass album that really affected me was Steve Lawson’s Grace and Gratitude, which is still my favourite by him. It’s like listening to a Mark Rothko painting. Beautiful solo bass playing, woven into a sublime ambient soundscape.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Angel said:

I was at Art college in Norwich having the time of my life 82-85. I found a lot of great music, saw lots of great gigs and probably did a bit of art as well somewhere. 

Out of the blue I just remembered today an album that blew my mind when I bought it in back in 85. I literally haven't heard it for decades as my copy is vinyl, and we have had no room in our house for my record player over the past 27 years of marriage. I need to buy a copy on CD!!!

Anyway, yeah so this is it - Stanley Clarke, Find out!

I absolutely adored that active bass sound. The playing was immense and the songs were catchy and vibrant. I bought a bunch of Stanley Clarke records afterward, but this one has always been my favourite. 

R-4440000-1370351686-2025.jpeg.jpg

I bought that when it came out. Some great playing on it. 

My “solo bass” album was also Stanley. Bought it the same day as Jaco’s first. Expected to prefer Jaco’s, but it was no contest. This remains one of my favourite albums, probably the only “solo bass” album anywhere near.

3ED2F184-226B-41C9-B5E0-D69156C77956.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

My high school buddy and drummer was playing drums for Brand X in 76. Yankee Chuck Burgi.

Blue

I think Burgi was with them 77-79.

Unorthodox Behaviour was 1975 and of course had a young man by the name of Phil Collins on drums.

Percy Jones' bass on that album tho...!

Pearl Jam, Ten. Not a "bass album" but some sublime bass playing. At the time I was looking at a new bass for my 18th and this album confirmed you can play rock with a Fretless. So I got a Fretless. I was playing a lot of Hendrix, Sabbath, Pearl Jam at the time so it helped me be more creative in my playing under these styles and fill out the sound of a three piece. 

The first solo bassist album I got was a Jaco live album, Invitation. The Chicken, Amerika, great tracks and some accessible stuff you can actually play yourself in amongst all the wizardry. Set me off on a love of using bass to drive the melody rather than playing supporting riffs and fills. It helped having already bought a Fretless ;)

12 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Primus’ Sailing the Seas of Cheese for me.

Saw them when they were supporting Rush, but their sound was terrible. I decided to investigate and was not sorry!

I first saw them supporting Rush on the Roll the Bones tour. To be honest I thought they blew a Rush offstage, and I’m a Rush fan.

1 hour ago, Coilte said:

I have always admired the late great Glenn Cornick and his beautiful lyrical bass lines on the early 'Tull albums..especially "Stand Up". 

+1.  If I want to hear melodic bass lines that often define the track I listen to Glen on early Tull stuff. With Clive Bunker they were a superb rhythm section.