Why become a member? ×

My dream is coming true (Modulus Flea)

AndyTravis

Congratulations, lovely bass. I've never been a big Flea fan but I've always loved these basses. The sig models he's had since are rather different and imo not a patch on the Modulus. Anyone that wants a new one can get one from Modulus, just $4199 before you add options, shipping fees, import tax... 

It's great to get an instrument you've wanted for a long time. I was learning Dream Theater's Erotomania on my Yamaha Attitude LTD II today, having wanted one since about 2003, it was a year to the day yesterday since mine arrived in the post from Germany. 

DSC_1065.JPG

DSC_1070.JPG

• Like 4

As I have an MG, two Vigiers, and two Status necks, I would say that every one works well.

Steinberger had so strange neck profile (close to a double bass), that I never bought one. I did try two Zon Legacy Elites, too, but the MG won the first prize at that time (1995). I was about to buy a Vigier Passion II 5-string, but around a fortnight before I had gathered the money, that Vigier had gone. And a five string was a must at that time.

Around 1990 - 1995 while studying bass I had a chance to play lots of fine instruments, like Pensa-Suhr, MVPedulla, Tobias Signature 5, MG BassStar fretless 4, Sadowsky, Spectors, JayDee, Alembic, two Ken Smiths, Status, four Vigiers, four Wals... oh dear, those were the days. And Bond had that strange graphite guitar.

Congrats, you will get a tool that sounds kool.

• Like 1

Congrats on the Flea!

I'm on my second after stupidly selling my first (05, SD Bassline + OBP-1). The singular worst case of sellers regret I've ever had. Thankfully I managed to track down another! (97 with original Lane Poor + Bartolini NTBT)

It'll have to be prized from my cold, dead hands. Hands down the best bass guitars on the planet. Heaps of growl, clarity, focus and punch with a very unique mid-range voice that no other bass can emulate.

Enjoy, I have a feeling you'll like it. :)

IMG_20190526_195406_398.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Bogdan said:

This one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_flea_sig_bass_rdwrn_shp.htm

Didn't get a chance to play one but looks kinda cool and I'd love to own it.

@Bogdan - IMO they're great basses.  
As with each of the Roadworn series, they're lovely players, good construction and sound great. I particularly liked the Flea sig, with its' Stacked control plate too.
Took a while for me to get used to this, but I really liked it. So much so, that I got Kiogon of this parish to make one up for me, for my Roadworn Jazz :)

I like Shell Pink as a colour for a bass (Sadly Mrs S thought it was the worst colour guitar she'd ever seen!)
My only criticism of the colour on that particular model, is that it's too faded and not quite pink enough
If you ever get chance to try one - I would say do so...... If you like Jazz basses, then it may be the bass for you :)
Along with the RW Jazz, they're very lightweight for a Jazz too

1 minute ago, Bogdan said:

@Marc S - thanks for feeding my new bass thirst. Now I'm sold, I just need to get my hand one one to try out in local stores and think of an excuse for my wife :)

Ha ha, you're welcome @Bogdan - but it didn't take much to fuel that thirst for a new bass, did it? lol ;)
Hope you can get to try one out. But if you get chance to play a Roadworn Jazz - try one of those too - especially one of the earlier ones 

Good luck with your search

• Like 1

On 24/09/2019 at 11:38, Marc S said:

Ha ha, you're welcome @Bogdan - but it didn't take much to fuel that thirst for a new bass, did it? lol ;)
Hope you can get to try one out. But if you get chance to play a Roadworn Jazz - try one of those too - especially one of the earlier ones 

Good luck with your search

Okay, you got me. I was secretly thinking about it ever since... it came out LOL 

• Haha 1

Those Modulus Flea basses really are something else. Taking the a reasonable Stingray as a foundation and then taking that recipe to the next level by refining every aspect of the design. I have never been a huge fan of Flea but I was of the opinion at the time when Flea was using these that they sounded far better than anything he had played previously. The still hold up as his best tone for me. 

I'm pleased you got your hands on something you've wanted for so long. If you ever have an off day with it, just remember the longing and desire to preceded it's arrival. 

• Like 2