Why become a member? ×

Help identifying my Bass

Sherak

Hi,

First post, hello... I came here as I have a Bass and would like to know a bit more about it as I am struggling pinning it down on the net, I say I have a Bass its a Bass a freind aquired and left in my muics room the past 5 years and doubt he has any intention of picking it up at any point soon.

Its a Fender Telecaster style P-Bass, single pickup, made in Japan in 1991... thats all I could get from looking at it and the serial number. pics attached. 

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

Thanks all and lol re the G string, it always throws me when I tune it, Ive not asked why its strung that way, I'd guess he may have had an issue with the string poping off the nut but like I say thats just a guess, Its probably not seen a new set of strings in a decade of more so when I restring it I will investigate. 

Thanks again for the info. 

Edited by Sherak

44 minutes ago, Sherak said:

Thanks all and lol re the G string, it always throws me when I tune it, Ive not asked why its strung that way, I'd guess he may have had an issue with the string poping off the nut but like I say thats just a guess, Its probably not seen a new set of strings in a decade of more so when I restring it I will investigate. 

Thanks again for the info. 

seems very unlikely to be a nut problem, given that there's a string tree.  Far more likely that he just didn't have a clue what he was doing when he put it on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

I'd love one of these: If anyone knows where there's a leftie..........don't tell me or I'll have to buy it!

Don't think there's a Fender lefty... However I'm not breaking your rules if I point you towards the Hartley Benton that's less than 100 quid or the Bach (B and Ch music in Czech Republic) that's about 250 quid. 

21 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

seems very unlikely to be a nut problem, given that there's a string tree.  Far more likely that he just didn't have a clue what he was doing when he put it on

Ha ha 🙂

Knowing the guy this seems very unlikely, the only other explanation I can think of is it was that way when bought or traded for it and he never changed the strings. I've dropped him a message to find out. Watch this space ✌️

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

It’s a 51 Reissue, there is no contouring on the body.

The closest they got to a 54 reissue had that poxy block with Sting’s signature on it. I don’t think  they have ever released a pure 54 style reissue.

Ahhh yeah, tbh it's something I don't like about it, it's a bit chunky, I quite like tele's but this is a lot bigger. 

And I was right about the G, it was like it when he bought it and has never changed it, he said he paid bout £300 10 year ago. I don't think he is so keen on it tbf

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2019 at 21:15, blisters on my fingers said:

For F##ks sake move them away from the radiator !!!!!

and welcome Sherak

The boiler that powers those radiators died a lon long time ago 😁

Anyone care to put a value on this? I got intouch recently and he said he would let it go for £400.