Why become a member? ×

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I can't see it on the Customisation page. Just has other tolex and baffle colours.

Shouldn't be a paid for option though - it's got to be cheaper than the tolex.

The textured paint option is actually in the tolex drop down options @ £50 extra. I'm currently awaiting delivery of my new Four10 with this option.

I've never had an issue with the textured paint finish on the Super Twelves or Super Twins I've had so it was a no brainer once I'd discovered it was an option.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

Yeah both my One10s look like this...

If they weren’t lighter, smaller and louder than everything else in the category I’d get something else 😐

Both my One10's have some peel to the rear but I'm not too bothered.

I imagine most new products have some teething problems. From all reports BF do take the time and trouble to address customer concerns.

Barefaced put a very very lengthy post on Facebook a few months ago explaining in detail the issues they’ve had with the tolex and glue, and the lengths they’ve gone to to find a solution. They now believe they have one so most 2019-produced product should have different tolex and glue (I don’t know the exact time the production switch occurred though).

Yes, it’s not the greatest thing in the world and yes very few other manufacturers have had such obvious cosmetic issues within such a short time from purchase, but let’s not forget that these guys built the company up from nothing ten years ago. It was a design diary on this very forum which lit the touchpaper for them, and they’ve had a very public learning curve to deal with.

I for one am a proud Barefaced owner and user (including one cab with slightly shrinking tolex!) and find that it’s very very easy to sit back and criticise and overlook the great success they’ve had. We should try to remember that sometimes, especially as I suspect a lesser person than Alex (me, for example) would have given up a long time ago.

Edited by Merton
Spelling
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, grandad said:

I imagine most new products have some teething problems. From all reports BF do take the time and trouble to address customer concerns.

Well I can’t say I lose sleep over it... Would rather it hadn’t happened though.

Certainly doesn’t make the One10 a bad cab though... If I thought there was anything better I’d be using that instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

Well I can’t say I lose sleep over it... Would rather it hadn’t happened though.

Certainly doesn’t make the One10 a bad cab though... If I thought there was anything better I’d be using that instead.

Agreed - it makes it a bit tatty looking which isn’t what we want but the sound isn’t affected. I’ll probably wait for mine to get really bad then ask them to re-cover it with the new glue and tolex :)

• Like 1

Er hmmm. Can I just remind folk that some people are willing to pay EXTRA money for that 'crapped* on' look! Apparently like fake [insert anything you like] it adds that elusive "mojo" and makes your audience regard you as some sort of minor god.

Image result for relic'd bass

Edited by Al Krow
your, your, YOUR (not you're)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, grandad said:

I never had any problems with any of my BF cabs but whenever I contacted them for any advice or guidance the response was always very swift. Very good customer service in my experience of dealing with them.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have used BF cabs for many years and never found anything better. However I took an amp in for repair recently and he asked me what cabs I use, I told him and he said that he is not a fan of them as they build their crossover circuits on a piece of plywood rather than a prober circuit board thus risking a fire hazzard.

Can anyone confirm this or indeed had any problems with fire or burning ???

Ta

3 hours ago, Roger Eve said:

I have used BF cabs for many years and never found anything better. However I took an amp in for repair recently and he asked me what cabs I use, I told him and he said that he is not a fan of them as they build their crossover circuits on a piece of plywood rather than a prober circuit board thus risking a fire hazzard.

Ta

I’ve seen the insides of a BF cab, certainly some ‘interesting’ build techniques going on in there 😂

While my barefaced cab hasn't caught fire, I did have an issue with one of the cones sparking and causing a loud crackle when I used any sort of low frequency effect (oc2 etc). Contacted Alex who basically said I was wrong and it couldn't be. (I wasn't, it was.)

Took it to a local electronics wizard who found a break in one of the driver connectors; meaning only 1 cone had been working. Said it had to have been there from point of manufacture (bought this second hand), and as the low frequencies were physically vibrating the connector it was catching and causing an arc and the broken cable crackling. Emailed Alex to let him know the findings, but no response 🤷🏻‍♂️

Safe to say my next cab won't be a barefaced...

19 hours ago, Roger Eve said:

Ta

Surprising, perhaps, but a wooden PCB board doesn't represent a fire hazard in itself, although a fibreglass PCB is a much better solution from just about every point of view.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

I’ve had my Big Twin 2 for what feels like forever now. It was one of the very first BT2’s to leave the factory. It’s been a godsend. Durability wise, I’d say it’s done pretty well. The only marks it has are from over zealous moving of it. The textured paint has a scrape on the bottom rear edge, and one of the chrome caps on the handle end is dented. Not bad for the amount of gigs it’s done and the number of times it’s been dragged in and out the back of the gig van. I’ve never looked inside it and I probably never will, so I can’t comment on that aspect of it. Is it the best cab I’ve ever used? No, that mantle still belongs to the Mesa Powerhouse I once got to use, the one with a 15” in the centre and a 10” in each corner. However, the Mesa weighed as much as the earth itself and I know full well that if I’d bought one, it would be been long gone by now. Is the BT2 the best cab I’ve owned, yes, by a long way. Not being a fanboi and I know some folks have had definite issues with BF cabs, just my own personal experience 

• Like 1

I am really pleased with my 2 Super Compacts which I have owned for a number of years. At a smallish gig 2 years ago one of the SCs just went silent. I was using just the one SC with a Fender Rumble 500 head and just at the end of the first 45min set the cab just stopped working. Emailed BF the following morning and a new driver arrived the following day. Swapped the driver and hey presto all good again. Great after sales support and customer service. I owned a One10 which was great for home use but after building a 10ins combo using one of @stevie and @Phil Starr  cab designs I moved the One10 on as the combo cab just sounded better to my 70 year old ears ears. Two SCs with a Mesa D800 head is just sublime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2019 at 23:14, bertbass said:

In 50 years of playing, I haven't owned an amp or a cab from any manufacturer that hasn't had peeling Tolex.  Some have ended up with no Tolex left on then at all.  My barefaced 2 x 10 is the only one that hasn't peeled its Tolex.  Maybe I should say so far, but after 2 years it's still all in one piece.

Not all tolex is created equal. The only defects in my Kaman era UK production Trace cab are the ones I put there by mishandling it.

I have had two issues with my Barefaced cabs.  

Firstly, a One10 I bought new made a rasping sound when played at anything above dead quiet.  The Bass Gallery took it back and over a video call with Alex or someone else at Barefaced they took it apart and saw that a piece of plastic that came with the cone had been left in after it had been fitted.  Problem solved; The Bass Gallery apologised and someone drove it over to my house when it had been repaired.

Secondly, a Super Midget I got second hand (and slightly worse for wear) from eBay made a noise when certain notes above the 12th fret on the G string were played.  I had a long Email conversation with Alex.  He thought it would be the tweeter so I bought a replacement from him and changed it.  Nope, new tweeter made no difference.  I ended up playing something through a looper whilst running my hands all over the cabinet.  I found if I pressed the handle down the noise disappeared.  So I removed the handle, cleaned it thoroughly, unbent a bit of metal and all was good.  Alex refunded the money for the tweeter and I have a good cab. 

Alex and Barefaced were helpful to me and I have not been put off Barefaced at all.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have had and used a BF Midget (Gen2) for a number of years now, and have just replaced the handle. I got the kit from BF, which required some dismantling before using on the Midget. Also I noted that there were two bolt holes, whereas my cab has only one. I was, as instructed, very careful unscrewing the bolts so that the nut inside the cab did not before detached. All looks good with a new handle with the rubber grip not ripped as the original one had been. 

I am happy with the BF Midget. Easy to carry, it has been reliable. 

I've sold both of mine (a One10 and a BB2) but that's not because I was unhappy with them. I found the One10 couldn't get up to the volume I needed to gig (and I wasn't competing with anything really loud) and didn't have any other use for it after the band I was using it for in rehearsals went to headphones, and although the BB2 is pretty light, I went even lighter with a GR Bass combo.