Why become a member? ×

Build my own vs Harley Benton vs Gear4Music 5 string P(ish) basses

Jimothey

I really want a 5 string P bass and can’t afford a lot (around £100 max) I’ve been looking at the Harley Benton PJ5-HTR Deluxe and the Gear4Music LA 5 string p basses and reading reviews there doesn’t seem much in it?

The big thing for me is I don’t really like Red Basses and hate Tort pickguards so I’d have to mod the HB straight out of the box and I don’t know what it is about G4M basses but I don’t really trust that the quality is as good as HB Basses??

Has anyone played either and could give me a review of them??

The last option would be to build my own??

Fella over on Talkbass is over the moon with his PJ-75 VW, £50 over your £100 budget 😞

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/i-own-a-harley-benton-club.1123735/page-321#post-23095149

i owned  the 4 string PJ HTR a few years back. TBH don't remember much about it,that's not a negative cause I'd remember if it was crap 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, itu said:

BYO is the most expensive way. Hands down. £100 is next to nothing: check some component prices and add them together. You will be amazed. It is like building a car from spare parts.

@pedwrote a nice article:

I read that review the trouble is Glarry I don’t think do a 5 string Precision 

Out of all my builds my most expensive was about £90 because I don’t use premium parts (allparts, warmouth etc) and because I’m skint I buy cheaper parts that you would find on HB, G4M etc anyway the timber I don’t use exotic woods it’s mostly stuff I’ve got hanging round my workshop at work

I've worked out building my own would be approx:

Paulownia body modified to allow for 5 string neck and split coil £23

5 string Maple/Maple neck £24

Pickups £20 

Hardware £30

Pickguard + Paint £20

So it will probably be around £110 give or take and the end result will be something like this (I hope!!) but with Maple fretboard and block inlays 

B06C9AEC-DE1F-4F75-8424-F6A336C4DB62.thumb.jpeg.c52178ae46df46c0d38fd5a3b378f968.jpeg

If I wasn’t going for brass hardware I’ve already got a chrome bridge and tuners it would be even cheaper................😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Harley Benton over G4M and anything else in the price range  hands down.

Having done BIY kits, never again. Far cheaper and easier to buy already built. 

Thats what I was thinking I’ve not really heard anything bad against Harley Benton’s 

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Fella over on Talkbass is over the moon with his PJ-75 VW, £50 over your £100 budget 😞

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/i-own-a-harley-benton-club.1123735/page-321#post-23095149

i owned  the 4 string PJ HTR a few years back. TBH don't remember much about it,that's not a negative cause I'd remember if it was crap 🙂

Thanks mate I’ll have a look at that later I think if I’m gonna buy one it will be a Harley Benton not unless anyone can recommend any other brand that does a 5 string P that would be worth a look.........😀

• Like 1