Why become a member? ×

New Music Recommendations

lou24d53

I'm 45 and I've got to a stage in my life where I feel like I own (1,500+ Cd's, not vinyl, sorry!) and know all the music I need to see myself happy for the rest of my days. Well...I did...until I read posts on Basschat recommending new tunes.

We might all agree, or more likely disagree, on here but the one thing I think we probably all take away is a knowledge of new music.

Basschat makes me want to (a) listen to music I love and have otherwise forgotten about; and (b) seek out new music to check out from other posters suggestions, comments and Recommendations.

Please fire away with your current selections...👍

• Like 1

Ondt Blod from the very far North of Norway. They take hardcore, metal and melodies which would make Brian Wilson blush and somehow make it all fit together seamlessly. Natur is my favourite album from last year by some distance.

https://ondtblod.bandcamp.com/

KXM, which consists of Doug Pinnick from King’s X, George Lynch from Lynch Mob/Dokken and Ray Luzier from Korn, have just released their third album, Circle of Dolls, and it’s another top quality slab of modern rock. A great band which only exists for a few weeks every couple of years but has released three superb albums.

https://kxmmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

Bands/Artists I'm digging at the moment:

Blackberry Smoke

Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown

Jared James Nichols

Govt Mule & Warren Haynes

The Highwomen

Amanda Shires

The Bros Landreth (plus solo stuff from Joey Landreth & Ariel Posen from the band)

Black Star Riders

Stone Mountain Sinners

The Record Company

John :)

• Like 1

I'm 40 and I've found since learning bass for the past 4 years my taste in music has changed dramatically.  

My favourite bands at the moment is the Tedeschi Trucks Band, I also really like Snarky Puppy, Vulfpeck and the various spin offs and sub projects from members of those bands (Cory Wong, Fearless Flyers, Mark Lettieri etc).

I'm also discovering all that great soul and funk from the 60s and 70s that passed me by all these years when I exclusively listened to alternative rock.  Great music for bass players.

My Niece's band, Honeyblood, have put out 3 albums since 2014 and have been runners up for the Scottish Album of The Year, twice since then. They've supported many bands, including The Foo Fighters and Garbage and are just about to head off on a headlining UK tour in October. 

Image may contain: 3 people, text

Edited by gjones
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

Basschat makes me want to (a) listen to music I love and have otherwise forgotten about; and (b) seek out new music to check out from other posters suggestions, comments and Recommendations.

Yup.

Basschat was a much needed shot in the arm for this lapsed bassist when I joined three years ago.  Thirty years without a gig had made me complacent and I wasn't engaging with the instrument very well when I came back to it in my fifties.

Great topic.  I'm looking forward to checking out the recommendations.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 03:05, Doctor J said:

Ondt Blod from the very far North of Norway. They take hardcore, metal and melodies which would make Brian Wilson blush and somehow make it all fit together seamlessly. Natur is my favourite album from last year by some distance.

https://ondtblod.bandcamp.com/

KXM, which consists of Doug Pinnick from King’s X, George Lynch from Lynch Mob/Dokken and Ray Luzier from Korn, have just released their third album, Circle of Dolls, and it’s another top quality slab of modern rock. A great band which only exists for a few weeks every couple of years but has released three superb albums.

https://kxmmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Had a quick listen to those and on early impressions I like them both.  Cheers! 

• Like 1