Why become a member? ×

Bought a new power supply but my Pitchblack tuner wont run from it???? HELP!!!

Mudpup

Any help/suggestions gratefully received please :-)

Today i got around to buying a new power supply to get rid of some slight noise on my pedalboard today.
I've done nothing other than switch from a Diago Micropower with a daisy chain to a Fame DC Junior isolated one. 

But my Korg Pitchblack tuner wont work from it - it runs fine from batteries but not from the new supply. All other pedals working perfectly. I've tried the obvious stuff like running a functioning pedal from the same output and it works fine. I've tried running the Korg from a different output and it still doesn't work. 

The new Fame power supply gives out 2500ma in total from 5 outputs - so 500ma each effectively -plenty for what i am using.

My pedals are a Zoom MS60B at 500ma, Tech21 VT Bass DI at 100ma, Seymour Duncan Studio Bass  at 21ma and a Sony wireless receiver and of course the Pitchblack.

Any ideas????

5 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Have you checked the polarity? Some power supplies can be switched from providing negative in the centre to negative in the sleeve, and vice versa, and that may have happened by mistake in this case?

Don't think i can change that - theres no switches or buttons on it. And wouldn't that mean the other pedals won't work either?

5 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Dodgy cable? Have you tried another?

Yep tried that Harry - just swapped the pedal with one of the others that was working from the same supply and it doesn't work from there either. It's definitely the pedal. 

39 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Yep tried that Harry - just swapped the pedal with one of the others that was working from the same supply and it doesn't work from there either. It's definitely the pedal. 

And if you power it with a separate power supply? Still the same?

The Pitchblack has a small draw of 35 mA and shouldn’t have any issue being powered from the Fame. AllI can think of is that you are either plugging  your dc in into the dc out (which is unlikely), the dc in got damaged (in which case a separate power supply test will confirm/deny) or that you need to plug in a jack (jack switches unit on) for it to work and it just looks as if it isn’t working due to you not trying with a jack inserted.

Edited by HazBeen

The DC connector from that unit has broken from the PCBA. Open the unit, check the solderings and fix, if needed. At least you can opt one very common issue out.

Put the cable to the connector when the unit is open. Push, turn and pull a bit to see if the solderings have failed. Modern factories use tiny amounts of tin and bigger parts are prone to brake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

And if you power it with a separate power supply? Still the same?

The Pitchblack has a small draw of 35 mA and shouldn’t have any issue being powered from the Fame. AllI can think of is that you are either plugging  your dc in into the dc out (which is unlikely), the dc in got damaged (in which case a separate power supply test will confirm/deny) or that you need to plug in a jack (jack switches unit on) for it to work and it just looks as if it isn’t working due to you not trying with a jack inserted.

Cheers Hazbeen :-)

Its not the DC out - I even grabbed my glasses to check that it was in the correct hole - and its got a jack in it. Sounds like its a broken connector inside. I had the same fault years ago on another one but never investigated it further, just assumed it was dead and bought another. sounds like its not uncommon with them......i'll have a look inside or maybe grab a £20 jobbie from Amazon 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If the power socket is knackered and you don't fancy trying to fix it, you could try using a 9V battery clip to DC jack adaptor. They're also quite handy for powering old pedals that don't have DC jacks, like my old Mini Q-Tron!

Stuff that messing about malarkey.......new D'Addario tuner just arrived from the bay of fleas :-)
And rather posh it is too......Thats the last Korg one i'm having - the last one blew up too!

10 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Have you got a jack plugged into the input? My Korg DT10 needs a plug in the input to turn on even if you have the power supply attached.

Yep - its def the power thats the problem, runs fine on battery