Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar show review 2019

Chrisbassboy5

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I just wish these things didn't have to take place in London.

So where else would you prefer the show to be held? Some anonymous shed outside Birmingham where there’s flip all else to do once you’ve exhausted the possibilities of the show?

At least in London there are plenty of other attractions and entertainments if the show turns out to be dull. If you can’t see that your are probably already dead inside.

Edited by BigRedX

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So where else would you prefer the show to be held? Some anonymous shed outside Birmingham where there’s flip all else to do once you’ve exhausted the possibilities of the show?

At least in London there are plenty of other attractions and entertainments if the show turns out to be dull. If you can’t see that your are probably already dead inside.

Two things:

1 - Don’t be so insulting to the rest of the country. It’s not a cultural vacuum outside of the M25.

2 - Don’t be so insulting to other Basschatters. Learn to make a point without relying on barbs.

Thank you.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

At least in Outside London there are plenty of other attractions and entertainments if the show turns out to be dull. If you can’t see that your are probably already dead inside.

Let me correct that for you.

I'm quite capable of organising my own itinerary, but if I go to a show I go expecting it to be worth a day of my time. This is likely if there are talks/workshops etc.

Outside the M25 venue costs crash so even somewhere like Manchester or Birmingham would be cheap enough to drop the exhibitor fee, get more exhibitors and make a similar profit(or more). Although some 'premier' exhibitors may be less willing to travel.

The choice ultimately becomes between small show in London where you need extra-curricular activities to make it worth going, versus a bigger, more diverse show outside London that might be able to keep you engaged all day.

I have been involved with various exhibitions (not musical) over the last six years. They have all be hit hard by the internet meaning people go to look rather than buy. The ones that are succeeding outside London do so by maximising the display/lecture element AND attracting lots of smaller traders.

London's advantage is a ready audience on the doorstep with minimal travel costs, but expensive and time consuming for anyone from further afield. London-based people are less likely to travel elsewhere (after all the rest of the UK is shite, isn't it?) but places like Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester have big catchments from the rest of the UK.

Hmm ... might take a look at the Merseyside Guitar Show, haven't been to Liverpool for a few years.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 09:07, BigRedX said:

So where else would you prefer the show to be held? 

Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh are easily a step up from London in terms of class and have as many options for culture and entertainment. (plus the 'locals' aren't londoners so are much more likely to smile and say hello).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 00:27, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I didn't get to attend any of the performances or workshops so I can't comment on those but I met a lot of people (including some basschatters) as I was helping on the Chowny stand where it was encouraging to see several youngsters coming up to play the basses. I had a good chat with Tony Butler who was playing his ultra cool Chowny signature bass, and I met met Mike Upton on the Kala stand where I bought a set of flatwounds for my u-bass. I also got a comfort strapp from bass direct and an incredible little amplug2 fly bass headphone amp from blackstar. I was expecting the weekend to be loud so I had my earplugs, but I only needed them a couple of times on Saturday and not at all on Sunday.

...and you bumped into me, so it obviously wasn't a complete waste of time xD  :laugh1:

• Like 1

I went this year, my first time in a while. I really enjoyed the performances throughout the day and was happy chatting to the stall owners about what products they had brought with them. I will admit, it got a little noisy at times and there should have been more quiet periods but this didn't detract from the great day I had. 

• 2 weeks later...

I quite liked it though I did feel there were less exhibitors which was a pity. The venue is less travel for me so I'm fine with that.

The main source of unamusement was that the guy who entered his kid to win the stingray is trying to flip it on eBay right now for £1600. That's a bit irritating. Like its went to a guitar player who won't even appreciate it.

21 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I quite liked it though I did feel there were less exhibitors which was a pity. The venue is less travel for me so I'm fine with that.

The main source of unamusement was that the guy who entered his kid to win the stingray is trying to flip it on eBay right now for £1600. That's a bit irritating. Like its went to a guitar player who won't even appreciate it.

What a surprise... ¬¬

Don't know what they expected when they gave a 2K bass to a 7 year old kid