Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar show review 2019

Chrisbassboy5

4 minutes ago, cetera said:

Maybe as it's the 3 moderators arguing between themselves that has sent this thread 'off topic' they could just get a room and have a bass play-off between themselves

I'd lose, unless one of the other two doesn't even bother playing the 5th.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

Just to add my 0.02 dollars worth. I generally preferred the new venue. The volume levels were high at times, but I felt they were less than what I've experienced at Olympia . The one caveat to this would be the somewhat bizarre placement of the 'Tone zone'  in the main hall. I tried to sit in on some of these sessions, but I couldn't follow them at all.

Conditions in the workshop rooms were somewhat claustrophobic at times, but not as bad as the 'black hole of SBL' that we had at Olympia over the last couple of years.

The main thing I did notice was the significantly larger number of kids at the show. (Quick thanks to 'Jean-Luc' on the Chowny stand and the guys on the Wilcock stand who were only to happy to let my 11 year old daughter try out a number of the instruments (at a low volume or over headphones I hasten to add 🙂).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrCrane said:

Just to add my 0.02 dollars worth. I generally preferred the new venue. The volume levels were high at times, but I felt they were less than what I've experienced at Olympia . The one caveat to this would be the somewhat bizarre placement of the 'Tone zone'  in the main hall. I tried to sit in on some of these sessions, but I couldn't follow them at all.

Conditions in the workshop rooms were somewhat claustrophobic at times, but not as bad as the 'black hole of SBL' that we had at Olympia over the last couple of years.

The main thing I did notice was the significantly larger number of kids at the show. (Quick thanks to 'Jean-Luc' on the Chowny stand and the guys on the Wilcock stand who were only to happy to let my 11 year old daughter try out a number of the instruments (at a low volume or over headphones I hasten to add 🙂).

Was your daughter the blonde girl also playing bass with headphones at the Stonefield booth, and putting all of us to shame with her chops? If yes, hats off. :)

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

Maybe as it's the 3 moderators arguing between themselves that has sent this thread 'off topic' they could just get a room and have a bass play-off between themselves so that this one can get back 'on topic'? ;)

I'm sure someone would come along complaining that they were being too loud. 😀

Incidentally, and this confirms absolutely everybody's complaint about noise, I've just reviewed my audio-only recordings of the day, and the ones I took at the Luthier/tone Zone, despite placing the Zoom audio recorder as near as possible to one of the speakers, are almost painful to listen to. Only good for transcribing for a written article, if BGM needs them, but I would not want to subject anyone to a listen. What an utter shame.

46 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Was your daughter the blonde girl also playing bass with headphones at the Stonefield booth, and putting all of us to shame with her chops? If yes, hats off. :)

Don't think so. Unless she coloured her hair when I wasn't looking.

This one's mine.

r4a4F5KbDg6sLC9b7wKVNc88BGdzPPyX6kv-faFZ

Edited by MrCrane
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MrCrane said:

Something we can all agree on I think.

Not at all! Whippersnappers stealing my gigs, buying the gear I want! They should should be up chimneys, making sure that they're clean! 😡

And seriously now folks. Yes, it was good see a large contingent of youngsters present, certainly flies in the face of the, clickbait type proclamations that guitar based music (and bass of course) is dead. It's also something I see in my local Guitar Guitar, a good number of young folk coming in with adults to buy instruments. Long may that continue.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To be more precise, my issues with the show relate more to a few of the vendors.  Here is the email that I received from Polar (UK distributor for GK and Ampeg), which left me with the impression that I might get a discount on a GK Legacy 800 if I attended the show (okay, yes, I admit that I personally fooled myself regarding what they wrote).  I guess judge for yourself if it looks a bit misleading:

"We should have the Legacy 800 available to try at the Bass Show, and we will have retail partners with us who can sell you GK products, however we wouldn’t have anything you could take away on the day.

We could arrange a shipment to your address, and you could pay for the product at the show, (we may even be running some exclusive show offers)."

I had my earplugs with me, so I was not bothered so much by the ambient nose levels.  It's just that Polar should have also provided a set of headphones at their stand (and the Legacy has a headphone jack in the rear), knowing that the show would be loud.  Or maybe I was supposed to bring my own headphones?

Which noise ,bass noise ,I stay 2 hours only for lack of entertainment,I tried  five basses ,all with headphones,there weren’t hardly any noise , the atmosphere was great but the usual celebrity pro workshop or else was not my cup of tea ,no even a little goodie as a souvenir,noise was well bearable and you can always wear earplugs I took mine in case a Wild guitarist put the level to 11 😂I will come back I only miss year one , I have all the tee shirt none this year, hopefully it come back as it was ...

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

It's just that Polar should have also provided a set of headphones at their stand (and the Legacy has a headphone jack in the rear), knowing that the show would be loud.  Or maybe I was supposed to bring my own headphones?

Strange as I tried the GKs DI/preamp box with a set of fresh looking DT770s which they just had there plugged in, the guy who gave me a jazz bass to try it out was very helpful and gave me a quick rundown of the hidden options etc. and told me to play with it as long as I liked.

4 hours ago, Romeo2 said:

Strange as I tried the GKs DI/preamp box with a set of fresh looking DT770s which they just had there plugged in, the guy who gave me a jazz bass to try it out was very helpful and gave me a quick rundown of the hidden options etc. and told me to play with it as long as I liked.

Okay, that's probably after I arrived.  I suspect I may have been one of the very first people at their stand on Saturday morning.  A bit unfortunate.