Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar show review 2019

Chrisbassboy5

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Which is not helpful at all, but there you go. I guess Joel has got what he needed out of it and may or may not check back to see if there's any more bickering going on.

FWIW, it was initially people sharing their thoughts. It only turned into bickering when objections were raised.

• Like 1

It's a discussion. It should be about the show. It has been placing too much importance on talking about not going to the show, not actually having been there. Interesting as it might be, that's not a review. Doesn't matter now, as I said. I doubt the organisers will be checking this thread every 5 minutes - they got the general idea and have a lot of work to do.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

19 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I think the problem is due to the fact that there are supposed to be quite periods during the show, but from what I have read very little is being done to enforce them. Every year the organisers say they are going to do something about it for the next show, and so far every following year at the next show we get the same reports that the quiet periods are being completely ignored. Add to that the fact that it looks as though this year the noise was significantly impinging upon the seminar areas, and you can see why people are getting frustrated and complaining.

The exhibitors might say that they need to be able to make a noise in order to properly demonstrate their products, but when any sound you make just becomes part of the overall cacophony how can anyone make any meaningful opinions about the equipment they are trying?

Agree wholeheartedly. Apart from the lack of strict enforcement (suited venue staff, without sound meters cannot enforce anything), sadly the usual culprit is the ad hoc "on stand demo" or jam, and anyone then trying to hear what they sound like is completely compromised unless you resort to volume.

So, the exhibitors aren't usually the problem and are more generally there riding the volume knob, because we don't want to be deafened either...!

For that reason this year we intentionally did not have any on stand performances or loud jamming...

Some exhibitors did, and that's usually when it went up overall, but, as said, rarely into the +100db range whatever.... 

24 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Out of interest, what was the average dB over the weekend? 

I didn't log the whole show so can't answer that, it's not what I was there for! You'd need to ask the organisers, but I suspect they couldn't tell you either!

From the readings I saw and using my ears/experience, I would say it was probably averaging around the high 80s, maybe low 90s, with very occasional peaks of 105 in the main hall when the show was busiest, but I was there to work, and generally only logging during the noisier times.  The ambient noise at the beginning of the day was normal conversation level, and despite the comments, there WERE quieter times (not necessarily enforced, just a lull!) so this would have to be factored in.

As said it wasn't what I was there for, and I did it out of personal interest rather than to prove anything. Not my circus, not my monkeys... I'd also love to know what was officially recorded.

• Thanks 1

@MoJoKe thanks for the reply. 

All the comments regarding the volume have made me wonder, not so much about the visitors, but rather about the exibitors/staff who are subject to the noise for the whole weekend. 

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, anything over 85-90 for prolonged periods (maybe 8 hours) increases the risk of hearing damage.

I haven't been to the show for the past 2 years, so have no skin in the game so to speak, but it has piqued my curiosity as to what the if the organisers views are on protecting those who are unable to escape. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Twigman said:

¿Qué?

"In general, sounds above 85 are harmful, depending on how long and how often you are exposed to them and whether you wear hearing protection, such as earplugs or earmuffs. 

Harmful Noise Levels - My Health Alberta - Government of Alberta

" With extended exposure, noises that reach a decibel level of 85 can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss." 

Dangerous Decibels » Noise Induced Hearing Loss

• The upper exposure action value is set at a daily or weekly average noise exposure of 85 dB, above which the employer is required to take reasonably practicable measures to reduce noise exposure, such as engineering controls or other technical measures. The use of hearing protection is also mandatory if the noise cannot be controlled by these measures, or while these measures are being planned or carried out.
  • Finally there is an exposure limit value of 87 dB, above which no worker can be exposed (taking hearing protection into account).

Noise: Frequently asked questions (FAQs) - HSE

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Until it violates any rules, it's whatever the populace of BC want it to be.

Well I want it to be gorgonzola, or maybe some cornish yarg.... 

Following your logic it's rather pointless having forum categories or thread titles... 

Edited by MoJoKe

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

A rather extreme interpretation, I think..?

Given that it said "review" and not "cheese" in the thread title, in this case I'd have to agree with you.  I can review the show because I was there and the thread is titled "Bass Guitar Show Review".  I perhaps should start a cheese thread if I want to discuss cheese, and others should start a "should bass shows be quieter, I don't know the answer because I wasn't actually at the London Show so I'm not really qualified to contribute in a constructive way" thread.

Look, we can debate (not bicker) all day long.  The fundamental point is not about noise ( @grumpyguts and several others didn't really think so either), so its probably this...  Was the show any good?  Was there enough or the right things to see/do/buy? Was it worth going? Was it worth exhibiting?  Should it be supported so that our community is represented and catered for, or should we stay at home or do something else and let it die quietly?

The guys at Future Publishing are big boys and don't need my help, but I DO want to see a positive and enriching bass community...  surely thats why we're all here, unless its just for the cheese, of course!

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

Given that it said "review" and not "cheese" in the thread title, in this case I'd have to agree with you.  I can review the show because I was there and the thread is titled "Bass Guitar Show Review".  I perhaps should start a cheese thread if I want to discuss cheese, and others should start a "should bass shows be quieter, I don't know the answer because I wasn't actually at the London Show so I'm not really qualified to contribute in a constructive way" thread.

Look, we can debate (not bicker) all day long.  The fundamental point is not about noise ( @grumpyguts and several others didn't really think so either), so its probably this...  Was the show any good?  Was there enough or the right things to see/do/buy? Was it worth going? Was it worth exhibiting?  Should it be supported so that our community is represented and catered for, or should we stay at home or do something else and let it die quietly?

BC threads frequently expand on the original subject matter, and drift OT. What's different about this one, I wonder?

Edited by wateroftyne