Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB4 - Now NBD !

edstraker123

I was in the town shopping early this morning so decided to pop into Dawsons and see what was new . I spotted a Gibson EB 4 which I liked the look of so had a go . I'm in love  !

It was a really nice looking bass , as light as anything and a neck which was unbelievably fast. Tonally it really floated my boat too. I even got compliments on my playing from another punter (that's never happened before !)

Mrs Straker is away for the weekend - do I buy it on finance tomorrow and smuggle it in ?

Review of said beast below :

Edited by edstraker123
  • Like 1

I really wanted one of the 2018 satin black models in a 5 string, but not many of them appeared on these shores as there were quite a few clearance bargains around from the 2017 range! They sound like a Thunderbird but not as muddy, from what I can gather, and typically weigh under 8lbs.

5 hours ago, grayn said:

Congrats, it looks very nice indeed.

Does this mean that Gibson have finally built a decent bass?

Oh yeah, that bridge looks the business, as does the confused grain.

I've gotta one of these in wine and red, it's an awesome bass, everything from vintage warm to Spector style thump and growl. 

Love mine and some bargains about. Got mine from Dawsons too, ordered it in to collect from Leeds shop.

9 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I have it’s 2013 predecessor, same great pickups, bridge and hardware. Brilliant sound range, great neck and also lightweight. The anti-Gibson mafia just won’t try these and just demonstrate prejudice.

Anti-Gibson mafia?  I don't like the sound of that.  Can you imagine the size of gun you could get in a bass case!!

On 22/09/2019 at 12:00, edstraker123 said:

Did some further research last night  and there are just none about in the usual music shops - just a 5er in GAK.

Suffice to say I was at Dawson's for opening - they were so sure I'd be back they'd actually put it out the back off sale !

Even got permission off the boss - a happy ending !

20190922_115735.thumb.jpg.670a48c048aaa74ac7884a330745edfe.jpg

That looks lovely!  Glad the Mrs approved too - always best practice to be upfront.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 03:37, AngelDeVille said:

usually snub my nose at coil splitting, but this one sounds terrific when split.

I completely agree - had a few guitars and basses before and never really bothered using it but on this one a pull on the volume turns it into a different beast and then the same to the 2nd volume and it's something different again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

I completely agree - had a few guitars and basses before and never really bothered using it but on this one a pull on the volume turns it into a different beast and then the same to the 2nd volume and it's something different again.

I like coil tapping the bridge pickup and having a slightly lower volume than the neck, get a great tone like that.