Why become a member? ×

Fretboard position markers

Nicko

I've often wondered why the fretboard position markers are where they are, ie 3, 5, 7, 9, 12.

From an open string you get root, min3, 4, 5, maj 6, octave

The actual notes on open E are E, G, A, B, C#, E, if position 9 was on 10 you'd have E, G, A, B, D, E, rearranged this would be EADGBE and match standard open strings for a 6 string.  Close but no cigaar.

From pos 5 on low E you can play an A major scale hitting all the position markers in a standard fingering box but you never play a G.

What is the reason for the position marker placement?

21 minutes ago, Nicko said:

The actual notes on open E are E, G, A, B, C#, E, if position 9 was on 10 you'd have E, G, A, B, D, E, rearranged this would be EADGBE and match standard open strings for a 6 string.  Close but no cigaar.

I don't know - but some banjos are like that.

banjo1.jpg

As a complete guess I've always assumed that it was useful to know where the octave was so let's put a marker there. Then it would useful to have other markers so you knew at a glance where you were. If they were on every fret there would be nothing to differentiate them so every other fret was opted for. Now the choice is on the odds or evens, if evens were chosen then the octave at the twelfth wouldn't stand out, so odds were chosen.

Markers on every other fret help you count quickly and the octave is easily rocognised by being on its own with a pair of unmarked frets either side. A quick glance and you know exactly where you are. 

I told you it was a guess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ambient said:

See my post above, the link explains it.

I actually prefer my theory over the 'they're the notes in the C major scale with one missing and a different one added' one in the link. That link is far more about what they're for and different styles than why they are where they are. Interesting link all the same though. 👍

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Just bought a guitar with no dots on. It’s better cos you should be looking at other stuff while playing. Like the football, turned down on the pub telly. Or wondering if another band member might tried on their lead and pull it out. Or if the looney dancing will spill their drink over the monitor.

No time for neck ornamentation.