Why become a member? ×

should bands carry on when there's only one original member?

PaulWarning

52 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Thin Lizzy is a case in point.  Even worse than simply carrying on, Lynott had called time on the band and it had folded, so it wasn't even a continuation effort with simply less one more member.  I'm a big TL fan myself and can't help thinking the revival without Phil was nothing more than an attempt to milk money out of the name of the act while they still could.

I saw Thin Lizzy a few years back (Scott Gorham, Brian Downey, Darren Wharton, Damon Johnson, Ricky Warwick, Marco Mendoza) - it was an enjoyable gig, but felt more like a tribute act to me. I did feel it was significantly heavier than Thin Lizzy ever were.

More recently, I saw Brian Downey’s Alive and Dangerous at the Cathouse in Glasgow (capacity about 200!). Really enjoyed it, much truer to the original Thin Lizzy sound. I’m glad they didn’t try to pass themselves Thin Lizzy though.

George

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ambient said:

Depends who the member is I guess. Level 42 with just Mark King would work. Equally Pink Floyd with just David Gilmour.

I don’t think any incarnation of Pink Floyd has performed live without both Mason and Wright. No Gilmour in the beginning, then no Barrett, then no Waters. Even after Wright was fired, he continued to play  live as a session man.

George 

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Deep Purple only has Ian Paice.

the drummer does seem to be the only original member on occasions, except Spinal Tap obviously,  no offence to drummers but they're not usually the part of the band that defines it 

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I dunno. Another guitarist playing his guitar parts, doesn't make as much difference as say, another guitarist playing Richie Sambora's part in what's left of Bon Jovi. IMO.

There's not many that can surpass Holmes' ability for sitting in a swimming pool drinking vodka.

If you want the Mean Man, accept no substitute.

• Haha 1

Jeff Lynne's ELO were pretty convincing... more convincing than 'The Move' with both Bev and Trevor Burton...

In complete contrast... Heaven and Hell with the lineup of Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice - arguably the most accomplished lineup of Black Sabbath (sorry Ozzy!) and indisputably awesome but not using the same moniker!

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Jeff Lynne's ELO were pretty convincing... more convincing than 'The Move' with both Bev and Trevor Burton...

In complete contrast... Heaven and Hell with the lineup of Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice - arguably the most accomplished lineup of Black Sabbath (sorry Ozzy!) and indisputably awesome but not using the same moniker!

I saw Heaven and Hell at Hammersmith - they toured as that because Sabbath proper were up for the Hall Of Fame at the same time.

(TBH, and they knew it, they were another Dio backing band...)

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 08:29, prowla said:

Deep Purple only has Ian Paice.

What about Gillan and Glover? Ok, not wanting to be pedantic but everyone knows the classic line up of Purple.

Edited by ubit
Strictly speaking he is correct
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They weren't original members, although I think most people would consider them the classic lineup

Yup, as I say, its being rather pedantic to say the original line up was the one that made them famous

Edited by ubit

58 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yup, as I say, its being rather pedantic to say the original line up was the one that made them famous

True of so many bands that it undermines the 'original member' argument pretty squarely.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 09:33, Billy Apple said:

There's not many that can surpass Holmes' ability for sitting in a swimming pool drinking vodka.

If you want the Mean Man, accept no substitute.

He looks like sh*t these days as a result!

Always liked WASP with Chris, but Doug Blair was a better guitarist.