Why become a member? ×

should bands carry on when there's only one original member?

PaulWarning

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like real hair to me but i'm no expert.

Can't say i've ever seen a thinning hair pic of Paul McCartney over the years.

Dave

I'm sure it is real hair.and it looks great.but not Paul's real hair..

I hope you guys don't think KISS members are on stage with tgeir oen hair.

Blue

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ll check them out, not doing the facespace thing I’ve lost touch with him and what he’s up to.

very strange stuff - but then this is Gary Emmins we're talking about - I've lost touch too - I only heard about it via our merch man

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVKm20e7Ih51febhGQPR0Q

https://thefilthyspectacula.com/the-main-deck

Edited by Twigman

6 hours ago, TimR said:

Irrespective, MCCartney is a pretty bad example. He’s not wandering around incognito most of the time and then popping up for a performance dressed up as a 1960s version of himself with 3 other people and still claiming to be the Beatles. 

In fact I’d say he is the polar opposite. He’s moved on and had success with many other projects. Fair enough he’s had the money and hit the big time at the right time that others haven’t managed but for the purposes of the discussion I’d say he doesn’t fit our description. 

Now the Bootleg Beatles are probably more along the lines of the ultimate direction that these bands will end up being. There’s nothing wrong with that at all as far as I can see.

I just think it’s a bit weird when the performers have forgotten that they’re playing a part when they step on stage. That part is ‘the person they were 30 years ago’, fine, wear a wig, wear odd clothes, put on an exciting and dynamic performance, but I think the only person they’re kidding is themselves. 

There was a great Saxon program done where they tried to be relaunched from playing in Spanish clubs to age related audiences, to become a modern, relevant British heavy metal band. And they weren’t really up for it and it fell flat. 

Some people are living their onstage persona still, when really they should have moved on. Perform as that person, but 30 years on who in their 50s and older, really recognises themselves as that 20 something rebel? 

Agreed, all good points and Paul is not a good example.

I've even scaled back and wear more traditional age appropriate clothes ro gigs.Its not 1969. When I saw Cheap Tricks bass player Tom Petterson performing in a blue polo shirt and khakis, I sad that looks like where I should be.

And what a cool 12 string Tom is playing.

Blue

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

The last? That could be 20 lineups removed from the original lineup.

Yes. But if they’re still making and recording new music that’s popular, they’re not hanging on the successes of others who went before them decades ago. They’re still a ‘real’ band, rather than one approaching a tribute act.

41 minutes ago, Twigman said:

very strange stuff - but then this is Gary Emmins we're talking about - I've lost touch too - I only heard about it via our merch man

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVKm20e7Ih51febhGQPR0Q

https://thefilthyspectacula.com/the-main-deck

Great videos, music well done but not really my thing, bet it would be an interesting gig tho

Fairport Convention - only Simon Nichol from the original lineup, but he hasn't been there the whole time.

But it's a band that evolves with people coming and going, I don't see why a and like that shouldn't go on forever as longs as (a) there's some genuine continuity (Viz. some of the Iommi on his own 'Sabbath' albums) and (b) they keep producing new material that builds on the original corpus rather than becoming a 'tribute' to themselves.

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed, all good points and Paul is not a good example.

I've even scaled back and wear more traditional age appropriate clothes ro gigs.Its not 1969. When I saw Cheap Tricks bass player Tom Petterson performing in a blue polo shirt and khakis, I sad that looks like where I should be.

And what a cool 12 string Tom is playing.

Blue

JAYSUS... those vocals! Make him stop!

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm sure it is real hair.and it looks great.but not Paul's real hair..

I hope you guys don't think KISS members are on stage with tgeir oen hair.

Blue

Nope i just don't see it Blue. We need more evidence i reckon.

I just can't find any pics that hint at McCartney wearing a wig. ?

As for KISS. Of course its their real hair. What makes you think otherwise :laugh1:

Dave

57 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I just can't find any pics that hint at McCartney wearing a wig. 

I've long been of the opinion that he's had hair transplants, along with Mick Jagger and some others, it is very unusual  for anybody to have that much hair well into their 70's.

If I was in the public eye with that much money it's exactly what I would do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

JAYSUS... those vocals! Make him stop!

I know what you mean, but I believe he's singing in key.

Those are our locak Midwest boys that did well for themselves. I use to go see them when they were playing bars in Milwaukee in the early 70s.

I also got to hang with Rick at a Jeff Brck show in Milwaukee a few years back.  Ricks father owned a music store. Rick would take Gibson and Fender guitars over to the UK and sell yhem to some of your stars.. He sold a few guitars to Jeff.

Sorry for going off topic..

Blue

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I've long been of the opinion that he's had hair transplants, along with Mick Jagger and some others, it is very unusual  for anybody to have that much hair well into their 70's.

If I was in the public eye with that much money it's exactly what I would do

Yep that's a strong possibility. 

18 hours ago, Twigman said:

What do you class as the 'original lineup' ?

Is it the lineup that attends the first rehearsal?

Or the lineup that records the first record?

Does a name change count as the same band or another?

The band I was in during the 90s went through 4 name changes, 6 singers, 5 guitarists, 2 bass players, 2 keyboard players (as well as line-ups where all the keyboard parts were produced by sequencers), 4 drummers - including one who left the band and rejoined later (and line-ups where the drums were all loops and programmed samples). I was only member in all the line-ups but I started as the bass player and ended up as the guitarist. And just in case you think that sounds like lots of different bands, when last version of the band split in 2002 we were still playing songs written by the original line up back in 1990. We also had recordings originally made and released under one band name/line-up that were re-released under a later band name and promoted with an entirely different line-up preforming them live.

The Terrortones had 8 guitarists and 5 drummers during their 6 years of existence. Each of our 4 releases has a different line-up playing on it. 

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The band I was in during the 90s went through 4 name changes, 6 singers, 5 guitarists, 2 bass players, 2 keyboard players (as well as line-ups where all the keyboard parts were produced by sequencers), 4 drummers - including one who left the band and rejoined later (and line-ups where the drums were all loops and programmed samples). I was only member in all the line-ups but I started as the bass player and ended up as the guitarist. And just in case you think that sounds like lots of different bands, when last version of the band split in 2002 we were still playing songs written by the original line up back in 1990. We also had recordings originally made and released under one band name/line-up that were re-released under a later band name and promoted with an entirely different line-up preforming them live.

The Terrortones had 8 guitarists and 5 drummers during their 6 years of existence. Each of our 4 releases has a different line-up playing on it. 

I think the topic is about bands that have at least nudged the charts a little (as in the value of seeing them live or if they can be classed as genuine), otherwise I'm going to start mentioning all the drummists and guitards during my 6th form band days! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I think the topic is about bands that have at least nudged the charts a little (as in the value of seeing them live or if they can be classed as genuine),

The charts are of little consequence these days.

There are many bands touring that have been going for years with multiple releases that have never been near the charts