Why become a member? ×

should bands carry on when there's only one original member?

PaulWarning

We did a gig with Mickey Finn’s T.Rex a few years ago. Mickey was originally a member of T Rex with Marc Bolan, and formed the new band in the late nineties. Despite Mickey sadly passing away in 2003 they still use his name with the band on tours to this day I believe. How bizarre...

7 hours ago, police squad said:

Ian Paice

Only original member of Deep Purple

get over it people

Mick Jones has never left foreigner .He missed some gigs which meant no original members but still tours as Foreigner

But TBH the Gillan/Glover incarnation was the definitive one.

(Steve Morse has been in the band longer than Blackmore was.)

15 hours ago, Baxlin said:

But the best band of the evening was The New Amen Corner, obviously none of the original A C, but performing their songs.

Sure you’re right, and they’re good, but the irony is Andy Fairweather Low is still alive and touring. He is exceptionally good, and an ace guitarist (of which I was ignorant for ages). He is not keen on outsiders using the name...

There must be so many bands that are famed for a particular line up but not the originals. Deep Purple, YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd being some examples from my collection.

I tend to think of a band from the point they became a success maybe thru album / single sales, even touring success.

I would have thought most bands had line up changes prior to becoming successful. ?

Dave 

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Did Bruford not return for a spell 90-92 

He did for union as he was part of the ABWH (alternate yes) , but Alan White was still in the band, so they had two drummers (well, two of everything).

In fact, as there were only 4 years at the beginning when he wasn't in the group and Chris died 4 years ago, he is probably now the longest serving member of Yes.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

There must be so many bands that are famed for a particular line up but not the originals

Not as famous as the original lineup but you can't deny the strength of Dio-era Sabbath for example.

Also a lot of people prefer Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow to Deep Purple, again with Dio on vocals.

26 minutes ago, razor5cl said:

Not as famous as the original lineup but you can't deny the strength of Dio-era Sabbath for example.

Also a lot of people prefer Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow to Deep Purple, again with Dio on vocals.

Yep i always thought Heaven & Hell the best Sabbath album and Rainbow Rising in my top 5 classic rock albums.

But then again it was the original Sabbath that made them a success to start with.

The Rainbow Rising line up and then with Bob Daisley era i would say was my favoured Rainbow line ups and after that they went downhill for me.

Dave

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep i always thought Heaven & Hell the best Sabbath album and Rainbow Rising in my top 5 classic rock albums.

But then again it was the original Sabbath that made them a success to start with.

The Rainbow Rising line up and then with Bob Daisley era i would say was my favoured Rainbow line ups and after that they went downhill for me.

Dave

I always viewed them as Dio's backing band, be it Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio proper.

Did you know that Blackmore played most of the bass on Long Live Rock 'n' Roll?

(I've seen Dio in Rainbow, Dio, and Sabbath.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I always viewed them as Dio's backing band, be it Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio proper.

Did you know that Blackmore played most of the bass on Long Live Rock 'n' Roll?

(I've seen Dio in Rainbow, Dio, and Sabbath.)

Think Dio was such a strong character, frontman and just a brilliant vocalist that most bands would sound like a backing band. It was his voice that made the albums in my opinion. 

I remember a rumour that Blackmore had played bass on the album was that because he sacked Jimmy Bain :laugh1:

Rainbow Rising by far my fav Rainbow album and fav album with Dio as vocalist. The full band just worked very well together.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think Dio was such a strong character, frontman and just a brilliant vocalist that most bands would sound like a backing band. It was his voice that made the albums in my opinion. 

I remember a rumour that Blackmore had played bass on the album was that because he sacked Jimmy Bain :laugh1:

Rainbow Rising by far my fav Rainbow album and fav album with Dio as vocalist. The full band just worked very well together.

Dave

I think Jimmy Bain was hard done by in Rainbow - he contributed big time to Holy Diver (which Dio said was when everything came together for him).

I've still got a piece of Blackmore's guitar from their first tour (Leicester De Montfort).

8 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think Jimmy Bain was hard done by in Rainbow - he contributed big time to Holy Diver (which Dio said was when everything came together for him).

I've still got a piece of Blackmore's guitar from their first tour (Leicester De Montfort).

Fan of Jimmy Bain back then. Not sure what he's doing now but he was more than capable of carrying a good rock bass song and he was a pretty cool looking bassist in his day. He had the long hair image that seemed to be required in good rock bands in 70's and 80's :laugh1:

23 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

These pros are not doing this for fun. It's a career, a business and their only source of income.Most have to carry on, even if theres only one original member.

A lot of these guys from the 60s & 70s that are still working have managed to build careers on one hit record

Blue

Indeed. It does become a little bit embarrassing to watch though. Usually in a small local theatre or holiday camp. 

If these guys are the creative musicians or even professional level musicians they think they are, with all their contacts and history, it shouldn’t be too hard to start completely new bands with new songs. 

If I was playing holiday camps in 2019 with a band that hadn’t had a hit since 1989, and it was my sole income, I’d be wondering exactly what I was trying to achieve. 

If it’s a weekend turn up and play and take the money, that’s probably exactly the same as most of us are doing, but we are doing it with more transparency, I don’t wear a wig and pretend I’m 40 years younger than I am...

Edited by TimR

54 minutes ago, TimR said:

Indeed. It does become a little bit embarrassing to watch though. Usually in a small local theatre or holiday camp.

Depends how selective you are.

The Motown show at Wembley Arena a few years ago had probably 1 original per band but it was not an issue and didn't affect the show at all. They billed the band as Jr Walker and the Allstars, which wasn't strictly true but a minor detail to a great evening.

23 hours ago, TimR said:

If these guys are the creative musicians or even professional level musicians they think they are, with all their contacts and history, it shouldn’t be too hard to start completely new bands with new songs. 

If I was playing holiday camps in 2019 with a band that hadn’t had a hit since 1989, and it was my sole income, I’d be wondering exactly what I was trying to achieve. 

If it’s a weekend turn up and play and take the money, that’s probably exactly the same as most of us are doing, but we are doing it with more transparency, I don’t wear a wig and pretend I’m 40 years younger than I am...

In the 60s and 70s you could write songs and have a hit record and take it to the bank. That bank statement was a big money motivation. That was when people had to buy music. Music is free now.

What's wrong with wanting and trying to look your best. Wigs and hair pieces are and have always been used in show business.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 21/09/2019 at 09:57, PaulWarning said:

and Ritchie Ramone as well, saw him a couple of years ago, they're basically a Ramones tribute act, it's surprising how many bands go round with only the drummer as the original member, I saw John Coghlan's Status Quo a couple of years ago as well and I think The Vibraters only have the drummer left

Ritchie Ramone is easily the most talented drummer the Ramones ever had and wrote one of their biggest hits, although thanks to Johnny you’d never know. Ritchie has done quite a bit of original material with IMO a few decent singles. He’s not advertising himself as The Ramones and I think it would be odd if he didn’t knock out a few oldies live.

He should get CJ in, but I think his missus is the bass player.

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What's xwrong with wanting and trying to look your best. Wigs and hair pieces are and have always been used in show business.

At what point do you stop playing music with the musicians you created it with, and start to play the part of someone who used to be in a band?

If you’re dressing up and putting on wigs to make yourself look like someone else (even a former version of yourself),  playing music written 30 years ago, then it’s gone from the former to the latter. 

Edited by TimR