Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Stingray

drTStingray

Has anyone here got one of these on order or played one? 

They sound very interesting - passive but with neodimium pick up, series/parallel/single coil rotary control, and the same lightweight hardware, 5 bolt neck attachment and 22 frets (30 in scale), weighing in the 7 lb range and according to owners on Talkbass, sound immense. An indication that these are becoming a standard production item has been given. 

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/short-scale-stingray?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=short_scale_stingray

• Like 1

On 20 September 2019 at 18:23, songofthewind said:

Quite a thread on these on Talkbass.

Yeah definitely - seems a lot of interest in the US and some good reviews. 

Im surprised there's so little interest on this forum to be honest! Lightweight, short scale passive (and powerful) Stingray sound like a good combination. I have too many basses though!! 😬

6 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I think maybe they look a wee bit like a toy, or beginner bass. At least at first glance. The headstock is too large, to my mind, and works against the overall effect.

Certainly not the experience of people on Talkbass although I do get the comment about the slightly large headstock - I'm guessing this a balance between a reasonable string spacing and overall balance of the instrument. However they're reported to balance well. Apparently they sound very full bodied. 

I wonder how do other short scales stack up in this context - they're said to be becoming more popular - maybe because the demographic is advancing in age...... 

• 1 year later...