Why become a member? ×

Replacement reverse tuner recommendations/help – P Bass

richardjmorgan

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my latest acquisition – a Highway One P, but the tuners leave a far bit to be desired in terms of holding their tuning – they seem much looser than others. If I'm going to replace them, I'd ideally like reverse-winding ones so they behave the same as on my Flea Roadworn Jazz. Which basically makes this a three-part question:

1. Is there anywhere I can get hold of another set of RW tuners? I've had a look around and it would appear not, but I thought I'd check with the BC hivemind.

2. Will these fit ok? I tried it out with one the other day and it seems like the stem's about the same size and will just need some new screw holes drilling, but I'm no expert.

3. If they aren't readily available separately, is there a decent equivalent I could/should be looking at?

I have a set of Gotoh GB640 res-o-lites (same as Gotoh GB640-R but not reverse winding) on my vintage pro thunderbird amd agree they are indeed excellent. The reverse ones would probably confuse me so being able to choose between reverse & non-reverse ones was good for me. They are noticably lighter than other tuners, turn smoothly & look great. One bonus to these over traditional reverse winding tuners is that the baseplate is flat so they don't have the protruding nubbins on the back which need little dimples drilled in the headstock to accomodate them. Now I have a second vintage pro I'll probably get another set of GB640 soon.