Why become a member? ×

Practicing with wireless headphones

M-Bass-M

Due to how I have things set up, one of the annoyances that I have is that my headphone cable either finds itself hanging in front of my strings and interferes with play, or it ends up behind the neck and being pulled taught. Ideally what I want to is to practice with wireless headphones.

From my research, there appears to be two options:

1. Invest in some wireless IEM
  2. By a bluetooth transmitter (such as this one) and then pair with some wireless headphones / earbuds.

(1) is considerably more expensive than (2), with the reason most likely being latency. I know that I won't be able to practice if there's a noticeable delay between playing a note and hearing the note in my headphones. However, the product descriptions from the transmitter seems to suggest that latency is near enough removed thanks to Bluetooth 5.0. Also, I don't need the wireless range provided by professional wireless IEM, as I'm going to be dancing around my practice room, and not a stage...

Does anybody have any advice / experience that they may be able to impart on me? Clearly I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but equally I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work as I want it to.

Thanks!

Up to now, Bluetooth has simply not been worth bothering with due to the amount of latency it adds to the signal. What might be acceptable for most consumer uses is probably too great for anyone with timing critical applications.

The only way I would risk going the Bluetooth route, is if I knew I could get my money back, no questions asked, if turns out to be unsuitable. 

Edited by BigRedX