Why become a member? ×

Gig preparation

markdavid

Hi all

Playing a gig tomorrow, have done the necessary rehearsing and have practiced at home etc but wondering if there are any pre gig tips anyone has that they put into place the day before/ morning of the gig to make sure all goes smoothly , after any tips at all that could be helpful, there will be some bum notes in a 2 hr gig with a band that gigs probably once a month at the moment (lots more booked next month :) ) but would be good to give the best performance i can , thanks

Check all of your equipment. Check that it all works, and make sure you have everything packed and ready to go well in advance. Have some sort of a system, so that when you're gathering all your stuff up at the end of the night, you'll notice if something is missing.

Make sure you're well hydrated and fed (but nothing too greasy or heavy).

Know where you're going, where you're planning to park, that sort of thing.

Have "cheat sheets" with you, but hopefully you won't need to use them.

Most importantly, smile and have a good time.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Sleep right the night before, eat right throughout the day but leave it a good 40mins without food before you're set, exercise in the day time before hand, something like 40 mins cardio/20 mins free weights and if you've got to sing no smoking beforehand and run your full set at home prior on the day of the gig. That's my typical routine, oh and a I have 500ml energy drinks one for the drive there and one to get me home. Oh and bring a book if its an early sound check, or a pillow if you're the kinda person happy to catch a few winks while your waiting. Xx 

1 hour ago, markdavid said:

Thanks for the replies, I always get stage fright before a gig so these will help

Normal mate even 100 gigs in ,that's where the rehearsing pays off .  I Make bits of errors every gig but you tend to spot immediately and the memory saves you.What sorts me is a nice easy opening song to ease you in .If your band has a tough one change it if you can 

• Like 1

Don’t practice beforehand, forget your set list, leads, and other crucial parts of your gear, don’t research venue parking, and leave home as late as possible, then take up as much of the sound check time getting your tone “just right” .

Oh hold on, you’re the bass player, sorry....as you were, follow all the above advice! 

• Like 1

usual gig goes:

• Check over equipment at home
  • Pack it all up ready to go
  • check everything is packed (especially strap, leads etc)
  • Put into my own car or if i'm catching a lift theres.
  • Have an energy drink/ Coffee on the way down (usually tired from work)
  • Get to venue unload and find out whats going on
  • Depending on the gig (if its my own band or working as a backing musician) grab a beer or two. never more than 2 before is my rule (or one if it's not my own band)
  • Soundcheck if there is one
  • find some food, if theres time
  • Warm up hands, i find i sometimes get cramps in them on the occassions i don't
  • Play gig
  • pack down as fast as possible (i really hate bands that slowly pack down on stage whilst congratulating themselves when theres a band waiting to go on.)
  • Watch other band if not on last
  • Pack car, Do a Check of the room to make sure havent forgotten anything
  • Drink energy drink on way home, if driving and knackered, find food on way home if not eaten
  • Stay awake for 3 hours after getting in due to some wierd adrenaline thing

Edited by simon88wilson

We have a private event to play tomorrow, we don’t do many functions and we are being paid handsomely for our time. 

We practise every Thursday night, and last night I was just leaving the house to go to rehearsal when our singer called saying he’d just found out the studio wasn’t available due to some overrunning refurbishment works. No notice, and no alternative. So tomorrow we are going into a gig with the least preparation we’ve ever had. We are all, as you’d imagine, unimpressed. 

We’ve managed to wangle an early load-in which means we can have a long soundcheck and run through several songs but it’s nowhere near a proper rehearsal. I’m sure in time honoured fashion ‘it’ll be alright on the night’, and we gig regularly enough to be able to do a good job, but I’m still not happy about the lack of preparation. 

Edited by BrunoBass

3 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

We practise every Thursday night, and last night I was just leaving the house to go to rehearsal when our singer called saying he’d just found out the studio wasn’t available due to some overrunning refurbishment works. No notice, and no alternative. So tomorrow we are going into a gig with the least preparation we’ve ever had.

Is your long term memory broken?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Drink loads of vodka. You'll sound brilliant! Guarantee! At least I do. I can even dance. 

At last. Sensible advice. Never mind all that practice your scales malarkey. Practice is for wimps. People won't notice a few fluffy notes. It's only a bass, after all. And you won't care anyway. Win, win 🤪

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Akio Dāku said:

Sleep right the night before, eat right throughout the day but leave it a good 40mins without food before you're set, exercise in the day time before hand, something like 40 mins cardio/20 mins free weights and if you've got to sing no smoking beforehand and run your full set at home prior on the day of the gig. That's my typical routine, oh and a I have 500ml energy drinks one for the drive there and one to get me home. Oh and bring a book if its an early sound check, or a pillow if you're the kinda person happy to catch a few winks while your waiting. Xx 

I’m exhausted just reading that.

I do whatever I usually do through the day, then put my stuff in the car and go to the gig.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1