Left leaderboard
Barking Spiders

Here is the worst music genre ever and it's name is Smooth Jazz Pop Coverss

This is, this isn't difficult to do. Get any song, bung  some walking bass line plus a swing, bossa nova or slow tempo rhythm underneath and Robert is your mother's brother. Smooth Jazz is the curse of many a potentially romantic meal out  but is at its most irksome when you hear a fave song of yours given the jazz lite makeover.

PS, excuse the typos in the thread title. i do know the difference between its and it's!

Edited by Barking Spiders
typo changes

I did a year or two with a big (as in 10 members) pseudo-latin group featuring some amazing players. We started off doing basic latin standards to moderate success, but after a few shows we had a chat about marketing and I pointed out that while most people don't actually like jazz, they do want to think of themselves as the kind of person who likes jazz. From there on we got a couple of good-looking singers and made decent cash off playing pop covers quickly arranged for three part harmony with a percussionist and a nylon guitar - maybe a trumpet solo if we felt flash. Unfortunately we just were a bit too early to get in on the youtube Postmodern Jukebox movement!

• Like 2

Tainted Love Karen Souza, I liked that one, great bass sound. Didn't particularly like the rest.

Nils Landgren does the Jazz cover thing very well. . . .

• Like 1

To be fair to Richard Cheese, his reworkings were always tongue-in-cheek. Smooth Jazz in its more earnest form is, of course, an abomination, and I do believe that when the Four Horsemen rend the very skye and ride upon this mortal plain, bringing unto mankind the woes of death, of pestilence, of famine, and of war, one of them shall hold aloft a saxophone, yea, even of the soprano register, lo, and his name shall be Kenny G.

• Haha 5

I'm sure there are plenty of murdered songs but here is one example of me liking this version over the original though that may be an age thing.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 3

There are just good and bad songs, I would never dismiss an entire genre of work, rather mine out the good stuff.

Except rap, obvs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve actually listened to all of them now and I really like them. Not massively keen on Tainted Love, but that could be any version and I would react the same way 😀. Thanks for posting, although I can’t agree with your sentiments 👍

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Paul S said:

There are just good and bad songs, I would never dismiss an entire genre of work, rather mine out the good stuff.

Except rap, obvs.

😮 - love rap me.

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

To be fair to Richard Cheese, his reworkings were always tongue-in-cheek. 

and excellent live - saw him with Lounge Against The Machine at Sonisphere a few years ago and they were utterly brilliant

And a shout out for the Lounge Kittens who's three part harmonies and piano version of the filthiest excesses of punk, metal and R&B are fantastic (and again, they are great live)

Paul Anka did an album of swinging rock covers in 2005, which included this one. Squeamish people look away now....

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

😮 - love rap me.

Don't love it, but it was reactions like @Paul S that made me start this thread as there is so much good stuff out there: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Except rap, obvs.

Sorry to disagree but taste being a personal thing  there are several genres where I dislike everything I've ever heard including Smooth Jazz. Smooth Jazz originals are bad enough but it's bossa nova lite and torch song type pop and rock covers that bring out my inner sociopath

Yup, in rap/hip hop there's a lotta gash but there's also a lot I like a helluva lot. Outfits like A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy have never put a foot wrong 👌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Sorry to disagree but taste being a personal thing  there are several genres where I dislike everything I've ever heard including Smooth Jazz. Smooth Jazz originals are bad enough but it's bossa nova lite and torch song type pop and rock covers that bring out my inner sociopath

But what is Smooth Jazz? Are Dave Gruisin, Eric Gale and Bob James Smooth? Is a track like Dexter Gordon's Guess I'll Hang my Tears Out to Dry Smooth ? I personally think it is all down to radio formatting. Jazz FM's Dinner Jazz anyone?😵

So you dont like smooth jazz. Cant say ive heard many Smooth Jazz covers. I love some smooth jazz though like the incredible Norman Brown but really dont like Kenny G. There is good and bad in all genres.

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I like that one! 😃

Edited by Ricky 4000

I was actually joking :) 

I don't like ALL rap but I like some.  I don't like ALL jazz but I like some. etc.

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

Except jazz, obvs.

FTFY 

If there is a personal hell for me it will be endless shopping trips with jazz like this playing.

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

This is, this isn't difficult to do. Get any song, bung  some walking bass line plus a swing, bossa nova or slow tempo rhythm underneath and Robert is your mother's brother. Smooth Jazz is the curse of many a potentially romantic meal out  but is at its most irksome when you hear a fave song of yours given the jazz lite makeover.

PS, excuse the typos in the thread title. i do know the difference between its and it's!

As someone else pointed out, Richard Cheese is firmly tongue-in-cheek. The clue is in the name 😉. I first heard RC years ago and think he’s hilarious. I suspect that version of KITNO is also firmly tongue-in-cheek, and personally it amused the hell out of me, I think it’s great. Didn’t get past the first 2 as I’ve got to flea treat our new cats in a minute!

• Like 1