Why become a member? ×

Reinventing the wheel

ednaplate

[quote name='Jase' post='366402' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:57 PM']What's wrong with a relic? We all like our particular colours, shapes etc, same as LED's.....it's a matter of personal taste. If I had spare cash I'd relic both my basses. It's just like a custom paint job to me.[/quote]

thats exactly what i meant by my last post, but you worded it much better.

It's instant gratification. If you want a worn looking instrument then just play the hell out of it for 5 years or so and then it'll start to look worn with YOUR playing wear pattern, not someone else's and not one created in a workshop.

Also bear in mind that not all finishes wear in the 'classic' Fender style. I own two Overwater Basses that are 20-25 years old and both have been played hard for most of their life and they show little wear except for the odd ding here and there.

Also how would people feel about taking the perfect playing vintage bass that has suffered in it's finish and having it restored to a fresh out of the factory look?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='366378' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:41 PM']I agree with you.

I played a Fender Pino Palladino Relic Precision at GAK in Brighton. It would not have been impossible for the staff to have relieved me of in excess of 2000 quid if it hadn't been a relic. Well, if I'd actually had £2000 as well. :)

Mind you, would rejecting a relic that felt perfect and sounded perfect for you also be a mistake?[/quote]

I always thought relic basses were really dumb. "Why oh why" I would think. Played a Pino Relic Precision in New York City and it followed me home. My favourite bass of all time.

Steve

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='366233' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:07 PM']I shall shortly be launching my new range of Del Var "Road Worn" strings for '2009:

* Vintage 50's Saddle Kink at bridge end
* String wrap infused with "Golden Age" iron oxide rust and pre-applied dried flesh
* Intonation "Stretched-Out" to get that late-period Jamerson sound
* Sprayed with choice of 3 "Roadhouse" scents: 'Stale Beer', '100 Smokey Bars' and 'Truck Stop Hooker'
* One string in each pack pre-snapped for that genuine 'Dang it, Ah'm such a hot picker, Ah just done broke mah string' look

Available in all popular gauges. See us on our stand at NAMM

[i](Disclaimer: "Road-Worn" Authenticity applies only inside purchaser's mind. May not function in real world. May generate scornful comment. Your statutory right to be gulled is not infringed) [/i][/quote]

Wow, my ideal strings.
Are you going to be producing a 60's version using roundwounds and the scent of Jazz cigarettes? :)

Large manufacturers like Fender are their own worst enemies, really. They've tried to make modern takes on the classic designs, like the 80's Elite basses & the 90's Zone basses, etc. But at the end of the day they're always going to follow the economic case & that's the simple point that many bass players are highly conservative & will stick with what they know, or variations thereof. So as long as people keep buying them, jazzes, precisions & mustangs will be the order of the day. Simple as that.

The only way to change that is for people to stop buying them. Like that's going to happen! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='366415' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:17 PM']It's instant gratification. If you want a worn looking instrument then just play the hell out of it for 5 years or so and then it'll start to look worn with YOUR playing wear pattern, not someone else's and not one created in a workshop.[/quote]

what if you want a worn looking instrument now? people buy vintage tinted necks and mint green pickguards, they do yellowed white finishes on basses because people dont want to wait for the worn effect, it takes too long.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='366415' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:17 PM']Also bear in mind that not all finishes wear in the 'classic' Fender style. I own two Overwater Basses that are 20-25 years old and both have been played hard for most of their life and they show little wear except for the odd ding here and there.[/quote]

yeah, but peoople only really want reliced fenders, because its an iconic look.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='366415' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:17 PM']Also how would people feel about taking the perfect playing vintage bass that has suffered in it's finish and having it restored to a fresh out of the factory look?[/quote]

i wouldnt care less, if thats what the owner wanted to do, thts fine by me. but you'd be stupid to do it, the price will drop considerably because its no longer all original, which is rare and therefore raises the price.

it´s not worth fighting against, people. lets face it, given a choice is it gonna be a nice shiny new guitar or a new one that´s been sandpapered in the factory? It´s no contest for most people Do worn instruments look good? yep, but instruments that´ve been faked to look worn look stupid. those that are old enough can probably remember the introduction of stonewashed jeans. the thought that someone would pay extra for their jeans to look old was laughable and many people, myself included, were objects of amusement for all and sundry. nowadays I can´t remember the last time I saw a pair of ´new´ jeans, then again I don´t look for them and anyway I´m digressing. I just hope that the world doesn´t go mad and stop making shiny new basses.

IMO, no matter how well it´s done a relic job is still just pretending to be something that it´s not, and anyone that is seen playing one will be seen as being a wannabe poseur, regardless of their talent. What about the people with genuine worn basses? are they gonna look like [i]wanabees[/i] aswell? what´s this gonna do to the prices of worn instruments? but then again the world´s full of different people with different ideas.

heres a thought though, if the factory relic is actually done to a standard so that it looks authentic, how´re you gonna tell that it´s not a real fender that´s got mojo? is there gonna be a sticker on the back saying what it is or will the serial start with something like ´SIM´ for Sandpapered In Mexico?. If there´s a distinguishing mark (serial number for eg) that tells the punter that it´s not real, then what´s the resale prices gonna be like?

anyroad, I only started this reply to say :) to BigredX. If I´m offered a battered bass I want a big discount too.

[edited for unnecesary potentialy-offensive rudeness]

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='Sercet' post='366423' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:27 PM']I always thought relic basses were really dumb. "Why oh why" I would think. Played a Pino Relic Precision in New York City and it followed me home. My favourite bass of all time.

Steve[/quote]

The Pino relic I played was also quite fantastic. I'm not keen on the idea of pre-relicing (is that a word?) but if I'd have had the money I would not have quibbled over buying the Pino.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='366166' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:40 PM']Never really got the relic thing.... seems to me people buy it to make them look more interesting than they really are.[/quote]

That how i feel.

As long as people are willing to pay a fortune for a beaten up old bass the word Relic will always help sell anything.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366478' date='Dec 30 2008, 07:25 PM']That's pretty harsh on the people here (albeit a minority, it seems) who do like the idea of relic'd instruments.[/quote]

is it? I suppose it is. that was just my opinion of course and let´s face it no one takes any notice of me anyway, but if it´s your thing and you feel upset about others thinking you look a prat with your designer scratched bass then just call me an old fart. they´re entitled to their opinion as well, even if they´re wrong

Meh, the kids of today with their pretend scratched basses and their pretend ripped jeans wearing their pretend runing shoes riding their pretend racing bikes. What´s the world coming to? I remember when they had propper respect, and all this used to be fields and the queen looked so lovely in the jubilee of 77 with her pink frock on...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366510' date='Dec 30 2008, 07:59 PM']Hey, I've got lots of opinions too, but I manage to get them across without calling people 'knobs'.[/quote]

I suppose I should apologise to anyone offended. i keep forgetting that pub-speak dosen't work too well on the interweb. I shall edit my post accordingly. :)

I'm not a fan of relicing. Pretend wear and tear is just silly. You wouldn't pay a lot of money for a wrecked car or a house with the guttering falling off and a few broken windows, so what's going on here?
Looks like Fender have discovered that there are players out there who can be cynically exploited and will love them for it!

[quote name='chris_b' post='366562' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:10 PM']Looks like Fender have discovered that there are players out there who can be cynically exploited and will love them for it![/quote]
I just don't get this attitude. All that's happening is that Fender are making stuff and selling it.

Am I missing something? Do people need to be saved from themselves or something?

I can't bear jazz, but I'm not calling for shops to stop selling it...!

[quote name='chris_b' post='366562' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:10 PM']I'm not a fan of relicing. Pretend wear and tear is just silly. You wouldn't pay a lot of money for a wrecked car or a house with the guttering falling off and a few broken windows, so what's going on here?
Looks like Fender have discovered that there are players out there who can be cynically exploited and will love them for it![/quote]

Bollocks! We all like our own special things with our basses :) we're all geeks to some degree, that's why we hang around here!.....it's not silly, it's just another finish option. Comparing them to a wrecked car or a house with the guttering falling off is silly.....I suspect the instruments will be in good working order.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366565' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:13 PM']....I just don't get this attitude. All that's happening is that Fender are making stuff and selling it. Am I missing something? Do people need to be saved from themselves or something?....[/quote]
I wore my bass down to the wood by playing it so I guess I look at relicing as cheating. I think the same of people buying ripped and worn out jeans. I totally agree with your view. You are right but I am sticking to my dislike of pretend wear and tear.

[quote name='Musky' post='366429' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:36 PM']Wow, my ideal strings.
Are you going to be producing a 60's version using roundwounds and the scent of Jazz cigarettes? :)[/quote]

The Jack Cassidy-endorsed "Haight Ashbury" range will proudly debut Fall 2009, available in 2 exciting 'original vintage' Red and Brown Lebanese Olfactory-finish versions.

Thank you for your interest and welcome to our mailing list.