Why become a member? ×

Fender Elite Jazz modded

artisan

Just modded the electronics in my Elite Jazz bass & proper loving it now.

I've never been a fan of active basses & always play this bass in passive mode which made me list it for sale a short while ago.But as I love the bass I decided to rip out the active circuit & fit one of Kiogon's stack knob kits with added series/parallel switch.

It's now my perfect Jazz bass & to me looks so much better without the cluttered active controls.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So I have an Elite P and I only ever use the active switch as a kill switch but passive mode sounds pretty muddy to me.  Am thinking about changing everything out but did you find the same pups with the preamp removed sounded different to passive mode through the pre?  Am wondering if I can get around it all without spending loads by just going around the pre and using the same pups.

4 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Hey Misowaki, I'm not sure what you mean by using the active switch as a kill switch. 

Ah, I meant by removing the preamp batteries so it kills the sound! =D
Perhaps mute switch would have been a better way of phrasing it...

But any idea on the pup sound with preamp removed?  Will it sound different?  When the batteries go in this, it starts squealing and popping and that's in passive mode!  I figured if it affects it in passive, perhaps the preamp is also muddying it up some.

20 hours ago, Misowaki said:

So I have an Elite P and I only ever use the active switch as a kill switch but passive mode sounds pretty muddy to me.  Am thinking about changing everything out but did you find the same pups with the preamp removed sounded different to passive mode through the pre?  Am wondering if I can get around it all without spending loads by just going around the pre and using the same pups.

Hi it definitely sounds a lot clearer with the new electronics installed & it's much more intuitive to find a sound I like.

I like the sound of the N4 noiseless pickups.

I recommend the series/parallel switch too.

• Thanks 1

Nice one, then that's what I'll look to do.  New passive controls, same pups, see how we go!  Only thing is the plugs... do Kiogon's solderless looms use the same plugs do you know?  I've got a soldered one on another bass and don't fancy cutting the plugs off the pup wires should it not work for me for whatever reason =S

11 hours ago, Misowaki said:

Nice one, then that's what I'll look to do.  New passive controls, same pups, see how we go!  Only thing is the plugs... do Kiogon's solderless looms use the same plugs do you know?  I've got a soldered one on another bass and don't fancy cutting the plugs off the pup wires should it not work for me for whatever reason =S

No you will have to cut the wires unfortunately,I was a little daunted about doing it at first but I'm so glad I did.

There is no way I'd ever put the active system back into it now.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 21:34, Pea Turgh said:

A forum member who makes solderless wiring looms that are dead easy to fit!

Yes, they are easy to fit - being solderless pre-assembled units.
But Kiogon also uses top quality components, and he's a helpful sort too - always willing to answer questions, even if he's not actually selling you anything :)

To the OP. I fitted one of his stack control wiring units to my Roadworn Jazz a little while back, and it's great - I like the added flexibility it gives over standard V V T
Nice looking Jazz you have there BTW. Gotta love Block & bound necks, especially on a Jazz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Yes, they are easy to fit - being solderless pre-assembled units.
But Kiogon also uses top quality components, and he's a helpful sort too - always willing to answer questions, even if he's not actually selling you anything :)

To the OP. I fitted one of his stack control wiring units to my Roadworn Jazz a little while back, and it's great - I like the added flexibility it gives over standard V V T
Nice looking Jazz you have there BTW. Gotta love Block & bound necks, especially on a Jazz

Thanks Marc 👍I love blocks too.

It is a fantastic bass especially now with the crappy active stuff removed.

I find the series/parallel switch very useful too when I feel the need for a P bass moment but can't be bothered to switch basses 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathy said:

Thanks for posting. This looks like it could be an option for my deluxe precision. Although this does bring with it the added complication of getting a customised pickguard. Any recommendations?

Kiogon could make you a suitable loom to fill all of the holes,maybe VVTT ?

I would think,drop him a line he is extremely helpful.

Edited by artisan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathy said:

Thanks for posting. This looks like it could be an option for my deluxe precision. Although this does bring with it the added complication of getting a customised pickguard. Any recommendations?

I'm doing similarly with my Elite and the only options I found for pickguard are £50+ or make my own (which I am going to do). You don't necessarily have to but you'll have to remove the whole board and likely have extra holes. 

If you wanted to buy one I think WD Music have some on their site.

• Like 1

@Heathy

Here's one but mega bucks https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-basses-c111/precision-bass-american-deluxe-c158/wd-music-american-deluxe-p-bass-single-ply-070-tortoise-shell-p2365

Non-tort is cheaper but still £50+

I had a blank arrive today for £18.  By the time I've taken a Dremel to it it would have cost me three times that in labour but whatyougonnado 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Misowaki
  • Thanks 1

That looks great. I too dislike the active sound of my jazz elite. It's not bad in passive though. Was going to fit a John East pre but maybe this would be a better option. I wouldn't have even thought of doing this. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2019 at 10:19, artisan said:

Just modded the electronics in my Elite Jazz bass & proper loving it now.

I've never been a fan of active basses & always play this bass in passive mode which made me list it for sale a short while ago.But as I love the bass I decided to rip out the active circuit & fit one of Kiogon's stack knob kits with added series/parallel switch.

It's now my perfect Jazz bass & to me looks so much better without the cluttered active controls.

I'm loving the look of this. Do you know if they do a similar thing for a passive Fender PJ bass? I'd love seperate tone knobs for the P pick up and Jazz pick up.