Why become a member? ×

Advice please: Connecting and sequencing 'effects'

Soledad

I've messed with the odd effects pedal over the years just putting the chorus (say) between bass and pre-amp in. But I now have 4 boxes to hook up and I'm not sure the best way to do it. The boxes are a Darkglass SS comp, Sadowsky pre; chorus, tuner. The main amp I use is a GB Streamliner (valve pre) with send/return on the back.

Do I series all 4 between bass and pre-input, or series all 4 between pre and power (through the send/return), or do I need to split the pedals and put some before pre-amp, and others into the send / return. I'm guessing the Sadowsky in particular would be best before the pre-amp, but compression may be better post pre-amp. Basically, don't know.

It sort of depends what you use the pedals for and when you use them along with what you use them with (I.e together or not) 

I’d put the tuner first so it gets a clean signal. Then the pre, assuming it’s kind of on all the time, then the chorus then compressor, again assuming you use it to govern your sound most of the time. Then have the amp flat to the active input, or if you really depend on the sadowsky pre then go into the power amp directly to bypass the front end of your rig. 

Alterations are maybe having the chorus post compression depending on settings as the comp might limit the effect I’d the chorus. 

That’s what I’d do but as I say it depends on what settings you use and your sound etc, there are no rules!

• Thanks 1

I'd run everything straight into the amp. Most pedals are designed to run at instrument level, some don't like the higher line level that FX loops run at. Running modulation and time based effects on the loop is only really beneficial when your preamp is providing your overdrive sound, which is more common on guitar than bass. Compression is generally best before EQ, otherwise you could for example boost the bass EQ and end up over-compressing.

I'd go Comp -> Pre -> Chorus.

Tuner can go at the end if you want a more thorough mute switch if your chorus is prone to making a wooshing noise when everything else is silent. Otherwise would be best to place it before the chorus so you don't have to deactivate it in order to tune up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1