Why become a member? ×

Best British Bassist

scarified

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='367557' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:29 AM']Yes, born in Notting Hill, but to French parents. Could be argued either way I suppose-I think he would probably consider himself to be British. Was known simply as John until one of the Stranglers' managers saw the 'Jean-Jacques' on his passport, thought it more 'interesting' and persuaded him to start using it. Narrowly avoided the French national service in the 70's, so obviously eligible for it. Dunno.[/quote]

Ahhh... you're probably right. Ask my wife... I'm wrong about everything :)

[quote name='scarified' post='365897' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:49 PM']Some of you will get into this topic, others of you will hate it. However, we should all agree that for some inexplicable reason there seems to be a huge number of kickass bassists who are British. Who's at the top of your list ?

I can easily rattle off 10 ...

John Taylor[/quote]

Nice surprise to see myself at the top of your list..

[quote name='dr.funk' post='367651' date='Jan 1 2009, 01:38 PM']Got to be Tom Jenkinson for me at the moment.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qjuv2iFnY"]Squarepusher rehearsal with live drummer[/url][/quote]
Superb i didnt realise bill bailey was so good on bass.

[quote name='chris_b' post='369210' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:30 PM']....Any list of best british bass players should include John McVie, Bill Wyman and Alan Gorrie....[/quote]
Then there is also Yolanda Charles, the incredible Phil Chen and the sadly late but great Alan Spenner.

[quote name='urb' post='366861' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:19 AM']Er, any votes for Dave Holland, probably in top three jazz bassists on the planet today.... and one of the few to play with Miles Davis and still be going very strong today... and from Wolverhampton[/quote]

I did already mention Dave see below from #20

"Don't really dig lists as they are subjective, although I can see the fun.
Couple of players that deserve a mention:
Dave Holland
Lawrence Cottle.

But Entwhistle as an also ran????

!![size=5]FFS[/size]!!"

[quote name='jakesbass' post='369267' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:18 PM']I didn't know Phil Chen is British!
great player[/quote]

He aint... [ British i mean ]
You new it... i new it... :)
But for the disbelievers.. :huh:
If you have got the afternoon to spare...

One of the most utilised session bassists during the '70s and '80s was Phil Chen. His CV is quite impressive, as he has played with and/or recorded with the following artists:

Rod Stewart
Jeff Beck
Keith Richards
Ron Wood
Jerry Lewis
Ray Charles
Bo Diddley
Little Richard
B.B. King
Chuck Berry
Bee Gees
Brian Wilson
Jackson Browne
Eurythmics
David Lindley
Dave Edmunds
Graham Parker
Carl Wilson
Timmy Thomas
Clarence Carter
The Doors
Butts Band
John Mayall
Spencer Davis
John Fogerty
Donovan
Cleo Laine
Jimmy Witherspoon
Phill Collins
Steve Lukather
Joan Osborne
Peter Frampton
Eddie Money
Albert Lee
Vinney Moore
Mark Almond
Danny Richmond
Van Morrison
Skatalites
Bob Marley

Not much is known about Chen's early years, except that he spent time in Kingston, Jamaica, before relocating to London, England during the '60s. Chen came to England with the Vagabonds as a spare guitarist. His on again, off again membership status in the band often depended on how much room there was on stage at the Vagabond's cramped pub venues. If there was room, Chen played. He became an official member when he replaced the band's departed bassist. After taking up the four-stringed cause he went to pioneer reggae with the group for five years until he left in 1970 to pursue studio work.

While it may now be a household name, reggae was unheard of outside the Caribbean when Chen, [b]from Kingston, Jamaica[/b][u][/u], hit London in the mid-60s with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds. Chen appeared on such Vagabonds recordings as 1966's New Religion, before realising that he could make a better living at session work, which he pursued full-time by 1970.

Chen's studio credits were by now piling up furiously. His versatile style as a session player meant his name turned up on album sleeves by talents as diverse as Donovan, Joan Armatrading, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Witherspoon, Linda Lewis, with whom he also toured, Cleo Laine, as well as on Pete Townshend's 'Tommy' soundtrack, and still he hankered to be in a band. He was in and out of Arrival, Gonzales, the Butts Band and Streetwalker. In 1973 Rod Stewart asked him to join the Faces but Chen had a previous commitment, a studio assignment in Jamaica with the Butts Band and couldn't go out on the road with the Faces.

Although it was three more years before he worked with Rod, he was a cert for the Rod Stewart Group from the moment it crossed Rod's mind to form it and by the latter part of the decade, Chen joined Rod Stewart's band full-time, as he played on such hit albums as 1977's Foot Loose Fancy Free (for which Chen earned a co-writing credit for the track "You're Insane"), 1978's Blondes Have More Fun, and 1980's Foolish Behaviour, and toured the world with Stewart. An active member of the group's productive songwriting pool, he proved to be unstoppably adept at every rhythm from breakneck rock and roll to relaxed reggae and plays the lot with a faultless balance of feeling and technique.

Shortly after the dawn of 1981, Chen and other members of Stewart's band were fired, after they allegedly refused to fly from London to Los Angeles to appear on the American Music Awards.

Chen continued to play on other artist's albums throughout the '80s, including Jackson Browne's Lives in the Balance, Eurythmics' Revenge, Pete Townshend's White City: A Novel, Robin Gibb's Walls Have Eyes, and joined forces with Brian May and Eddie Van Halen for a one-off side project under the name of Brian May Friends, 1983's Star Fleet Project. Although he has downshifted a gear or two, Chen has remained active in the music scene, as he appeared on both the Doors' all-star tribute album, Stoned Immaculate: The Music of the Doors and Lita Ford's Greatest Hits Live in the early 21st century.

Phil Chen is currently a Master Class Instructor at the LA Music Academy.

Phew.....

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='jakesbass' post='369267' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:18 PM']....I didn't know Phil Chen is British!....[/quote]
Mmm. I used to see him in the 60's playing bass with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds and then Gonzalez in the 70's. He's been part of my musical life for so long I'd forgotten the inconvenient fact that he was born in Jamaica!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='367557' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:29 AM']Yes, born in Notting Hill, but to French parents. Could be argued either way I suppose-I think he would probably consider himself to be British. Was known simply as John until one of the Stranglers' managers saw the 'Jean-Jacques' on his passport, thought it more 'interesting' and persuaded him to start using it. Narrowly avoided the French national service in the 70's, so obviously eligible for it. Dunno.[/quote]
Having French parents might make him French but if he is he's [b]OUR[/b] French bass player!!! :huh: :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='369304' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:37 PM']Having French parents might make him French but if he is he's [b]OUR[/b] French bass player!!! :huh: :)[/quote]
I think jj burnel is brilliant the stuff on black and white is really raw,toiler on the sea is my favourite im a big cornwell era fan.I was well suprised to find out that burnel "took the other bus" sometimes, ie he is bisexual,well according to steve stranges autobiography anyway.