Why become a member? ×

Olympia Flats cheap on eBay.

Maude

I was curious about Olympias and bought a set a few years back. They’re excellent- not just good value for money, but a great sounding set of strings. I’d been using Fender flats, but I couldn’t really get on with the tension, and the Olympia strings have much more ‘give’ to them, than the Fender set. I’d agree that they’re about medium tension. They have a little more brightness than some flatwounds, which suits my current band, as I have to alternate between early 70s thump and 80s twang, both of which these strings do very well. I love ‘em.

I bought some to try on my BB (not used flats before) and I like them - I did shell out for Dunlops to go on my Sandberg and they are a bit more flexible and slightly smoother in feel than the Olympias BUT a lot more money.

The Olympias are staying on the BB and to my inexperienced fingers they feel great and sound good too.

Worth doing the Make An Offer thing on Ebay - mine auto accepted at £10, so worth using up your offer attempts to shave a few quid off if you can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I got, and put on the Olympia Flats. They have been on for 10 days or so now and were used at a 4 hour rehearsal last Sunday.

Firstly the value for money is first class. Whether £16 OR £13 you cannot beat that.  The strings are made in Korea and each string is sealed in its own packet. On first look the A,D & G strings look fine but the E looks a little suspect. The wind is not as even as on the other 3 strings.

I put them on anyway and could not be sure whether the E was deader than the other strings but I reported it to the seller and got a new string by return. The following impressions are compared to the Fender (d'addario) flats on my Peavey Precision clone and the rounds that the Olympias replaced.

Tension, much closer to the rounds they replaced than the Fender flats. Nothing needed changing on the bass, action and relief spot on. I cannot really compare the two sets as the Fender's have been on several years but both the old Fender flats and the D'Addario Fender  Flats on the Peavey are higher tension and the E went off very quickly. Only time will tell with the Olympias.

I had read that there was a stickiness to these strings and at first I did not understand. Going up and down the fretboard felt no different, however after a while I did feel that there was a slight grab when finger plucking with my right hand. I am not sure whether this was just my imagination but it  seemed better once I had wiped the strings with an industrial wet wipe.

Tone. Definately brighter than I expected although the zing of a new set ofrounds was missing. Ten days on and a lot of playing does not seem to have dulled them at all. The only downside so far is the visually suspect E string. However the customer care fronm Advanced Music was first rate and I have had duff flats form Fender more than once.

I have not played Chromes or Cobalt flats as they are too expensive to just take a punt on but these Olympias seem fine and I will be replacing the strings on my Peavey with them.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Just for the record, I bought a set of these for a short scale. OK this meant winding the thick part of the string around a 3/8" post which isn't ideal.

They didn't like it and E string broke when putting it on (leaving enough to reattach) and A broke spontaneously a couple of weeks later at the tuner.

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just for the record, I bought a set of these for a short scale. OK this meant winding the thick part of the string around a 3/8" post which isn't ideal.

They didn't like it and E string broke when putting it on (leaving enough to reattach) and A broke spontaneously a couple of weeks later at the tuner.

I thought of doing that too, so glad you've been my guinea pig! Previously I put some on a  full length neck and they were fine however.

• Like 1