Why become a member? ×

Olympia Flats cheap on eBay.

Maude

I just thought I'd mention here that Olympia flatwounds are on ebay for £12.99, but I just made an offer of £10, just to see, and it was automatically accepted, I don't really need them but they'll get used. 

So if you want to try flats on the cheap then see how low an offer you can get away with, or just offer a tenner and they're yours. 😎

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332486029353

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have them on a couple of basses.

One set is around 10 years old I reckon, the other set I bought offa fleabay last Xmas-time for a tenner (plus a couple of quid postage IIRC).

They don't seem as 'bright' as the Fender flats, but they're not rubbish IMHO. 👌

After saying that, I'm far to 'cheap' to have compared them to proper expensive flats. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've had a couple sets, they are medium-high tension. I found the silks are really long especially at the ball end, so they over hang the saddles which dulls the sound and sustain somewhat.

Sound wise they are ok, fender flats, chrome's, EB Colbalt's, Labella's, TI's which are all more expensive do sound far superior and feel much, much smoother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Picato flats on my P bass because I have an endorsement deal with them. They seem really smooth with possibly medium tension. I just want the bass to sound old like Jamerson/Pino. They work for me and stay on the bass until they break. I think my current set have been on there for 5 years, so relatively not that long. Previous to the Picatos I had Rotosounds so that's all I can compare them to. 

14 hours ago, soulboy said:

I have Picato flats on my P bass because I have an endorsement deal with them. They seem really smooth with possibly medium tension. I just want the bass to sound old like Jamerson/Pino. They work for me and stay on the bass until they break. I think my current set have been on there for 5 years, so relatively not that long. Previous to the Picatos I had Rotosounds so that's all I can compare them to. 

IMHO Roto flats are the worst, super high tension and characterless.

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

MHO Roto flats are the worst, super high tension and characterless.

A shame isn't it - they're UK and just round the corner from me, but I don't really like any of the Rotos I've tried - I find the E on the rounds really disappointing, like it came from a different set. Always seem to end up using the U.S. makers... just doing my bit to make them great again ;)

• Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 22:39, soulboy said:

Their halfrounds were excellent too.

I've used Picato strings on and off for ages, since being put onto them by another Basschatter - good value strings and seemingly consistent quality. I have found availability to be a bit hit and miss though - if they were more widely available more of the time they might have a better market share... just my 2p. Definitely worth a try though if you haven't used them before.

3 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

I've used Picato strings on and off for ages, since being put onto them by another Basschatter - good value strings and seemingly consistent quality. I have found availability to be a bit hit and miss though - if they were more widely available more of the time they might have a better market share... just my 2p. Definitely worth a try though if you haven't used them before.

Agreed my local store stocks them but not in the gauges I use  45-105. Hardly a rare size.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

got a set of these last week and as mentioned I found out that they replace strings.  My E snapped on installation right at the tuning key.  Quick email and new E string was with me next day.  Id say these are low tension (in comparison to my usual Elites) and have an even tone with no dead E.  WIll be interested to see how they mellow.  Nice feel though not glassy smooth.  Feel slightly textured on my plucking hand but for £10 they are pretty good!

• 2 months later...