Why become a member? ×

Buying Preferences

PlasmaZombies

Hi all.

I was just wondering what people prefer when they are buying a new (to you) instrument, and what are your reasons behind it if any? For example - Say you are in the market for another bass. Do you prefer to buy 

1. Brand new, boxed, unplayed by anyone else's filthy mitts.

2. Display model, can try it out in shop, possible display discount?

3. Used, discontinued/vintage instruments, someone else has taken the depreciation hit.

Just interested to see what people's thoughts are! 

All of them... 

1. Low to mid price and a known mass produced bass... Because it then feels like it's mine and mine only. 

2. High cost bass... I rarely get the chance being left handed but my best and most expensive bass was up in Wunjos for a year or so I think. This way for the cost I know the actual instrument I'm getting and don't want it to be a duffer or disappointing in any way. I am v unlikely to want to sell so I'm OK with the depreciation 

3. Basses that are not made any more, are a known quantity.. Either necessity or just "I know what an MIM Jazz should sound and feel like". Or I'm unsure, buying it just to see what it's like and know I can sell for roughly the same if I don't like it

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

In the 30+ basses i've got through in the last 15 years, less than half were new, and mostly earlier on in my 'experiences'.

Second hand is far more cost efficient, and I haven't lost money on anything i've bought 2nd hand and moved on. New i've probably lost around £1k when shifting.

I like to try the basses or guitars before I buy them, particularly if it is a Fender or a Gibson and especially if it is a vintage example.

In terms of high quality/boutique stuff, I would be a happy to buy new/used without trying it out first once I have tried one example that has impressed me. For example, if my mate bought a brand new Spector and let me try it and I loved it, I would happily buy a  new (or used) Spector without trying it. If my mate bought a 1983 US Fender Jazz and I tried it and loved it, I would not be willing to buy another 1983 US Fender Jazz blind without trying it.

I'm a 3er by and large, for most of the reasons already stated. Additionally, I'm trying to reduce my consumption of things in general, and one way of moving towards this is by reusing something someone wants to move on, rather than me buying completely new. I realise there is a bit of a disconnect between obtaining what are fundamentally luxury items and wanting to decrease one's impact of consumption but hey, it's my line in the sand and I'm honest with myself about it :) I think 4 of my 5 regularly used instruments are at least second hand.