Why become a member? ×

Get your own CUSTOM* bass in 2 WEEKS*

BassApprentice

57 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Am I right in thinking all these people have done is design a bass and are selling it ? 

We seem to have a major issue with that on here 🙄

No that's not what they have done.

They have take someone else's bass design and stuck a different headstock on it (which appears to be almost universally disliked) and then attempted to justify it for technical reasons which they are unable to back up with actual proof.

That's what people have an issue with. 

• Like 3

@LukeFRC @Stub Mandrel

Frequency of comments: I am very appreciative of the fact that users of Basschat UK took note of us small builders from Vienna and raised questions, which in turn gives us the opportunity to make our point. Thta said, as much as we are trying our best to stay on top of things happening online, we are only a small team and we've got basses to build, so we don't have the physical resources to monitor and comment on everyhting about us, so please don't be too harsh on us on this count. Also, some posts, such as on Youtube or FB, can be commented on in passing while others would need a quiet weekend morning to consider and respond to. 

Union Jack: My sincere apologies. We changed the flag. I hope the one presently on display gives no further cause for complaint.  

About the headstock: 
- Is a straight one cheaper to build than an angled one? - Yes.
- Is a straight one less prone to snap one day? - Also yes. No leverage working against one's beloved neck. 
- Is a straight one "better" for sound? - My desire to keep replies short and simple may have gone down the wrong way with some, so here's the long version: 

We take neck stiffness extremely serious. Our headstock is thicker than the conventional standard (routed at 17 vs. customary 15mm), we leave extra wood under the nut as pictured in my earlier statement above, and we also shifted wood from the neck pocket bottom to the neck heel (neck heel thickness 28 vs. customary 25,4mm) so that the neck screws have some extra stretch to "bite" into the neck (if done properly, the screws are never supposed to "bite" into the neck pocket bottom, otherwise you won't achieve direct coupling). 

Why all these efforts to make the neck thicker, while leaving the playable stretch as thin and comfortable to play as everyone is used to? A tuned 4-string set exerts a tension of 1000 newton (100kg). The neck spans 2 thirds of the scale length and its cross section measures only a tiny fraction of the body's, so in terms of wood, nothing matters as much as a good, stiff neck.

We consider a strong, present, resonating growl the most important sound property in a bass. Others may have other priorities, we don't judge, but strong and well-defined output is ours. That's why we went to great lengths to develop our own pickups which generate 1000mV output (as opposed to an average 300mV of pickups with comparable passive design). Without the support of a solid, stiff neck, a strong pickup is of no use. We found that we could implement OUR sound intentions best in a bolt-on, straight headstock design and that's that. 

Sceptical anyone? Of course you are, you've never heard of us before. Whoever wants to try our sound and building quality, you can do so in Vienna, New York or the comfort of your home, as we offer a generous return policy, you'll find all info on our front page

Headstock shape: You may have a point, I have to say interest notched up notably since we introduced the short headstock and even more so its matched version which we offer without extra charge. Generally speaking, it really would have felt wrong to us to be the 100th builder with a 4-left headstock just slightly different from 99 others for trademark reasons. We felt way more comfortable with 2-left-2-right and our distinct bite, but here's a question, how would you go about "offering a more traditional headtsock"?

Here's our take on custom: in many people's minds it is tantamount to handmade, not in ours. We never pinned "handmade" to our chest. By contrast, we consciously bank on means of digital production (and transparently say so), thus yielding the benefits of consistent quality, cost and time efficiency, and it also enables us to explore new ways of applying artwork to the bass guitar. That body surface together with the pickguard is a big area. We are trying to make something of it in our secret menu for those who want options beyond our configurator. Here's a glimpse on what comes out of it.
DSC00022.thumb.jpg.6ba5f3254574173853711bd5d69ce7c0.jpg
Quite a number of orders come into being by way of the ASK US A QUESTION button at the bottom of our configurator. People make use of configurator options as much as they are avialable and then hit this button to ask us if this or that can be done beyond their selected configurator choices.

Edited by BITE Guitars
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BITE Guitars said:

@wateroftyne @binky_bass

Headstock shape: You may have a point... but here's a question, how would you go about "offering a more traditional headtsock"?

Maruszczyk, Lakland, Celinder, Lull, Sadowsky, Overwater, Vintage, Bass Collection, Sandberg etc seem to manage...?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, by the way 🙂

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 12:41, BigRedX said:

No that's not what they have done.

They have take someone else's bass design and stuck a different headstock on it (which appears to be almost universally disliked) and then attempted to justify it for technical reasons which they are unable to back up with actual proof.

That's what people have an issue with. 

Like every other nearly Fender builder out there .They have only mentioned the headstock  because its been slated and they've answered with why its that's way.If you think its codswallop so be it .Just seems way way over the top the way they are being grilled .Not everyone's cup of tea ,fair enough 

• Like 4

@jazzmanb @BITE Guitars I don't see it as being grilled, and I don't thing Bite have taken it that way. 

This forum is a unique and fantastic way to get genuine feedback for bass start ups, in this instance 9 out of 10 people have said they would likely not buy one of these due to the headstock. As we represent a fair cross-section of the bass playing community it would seem fairly unanimous that the headstock is a massive hang up for many potential customers that like the concept but are wholly put off by the headstock. 

If Bite are savvy, and wish to have a successful business, I would expect them to have open ears on this and to (at the very least) offer a traditional headstock as an alternative to their signature headstock. From their comments, it seems like this is now a serious consideration, which if they implement I would applaud as it shows they have listened to their potential customers. 

This is a great idea for a business, to be able to order a unique bass in your own style for a good price and with an attractive lead time. I am certain Bite will do well if they can offer a traditional headstock along side their more unique one.

After all, business is business!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Like every other nearly Fender builder out there .They have only mentioned the headstock  because its been slated and they've answered with why its that's way.If you think its codswallop so be it .Just seems way way over the top the way they are being grilled .Not everyone's cup of tea ,fair enough 

As I said in another thread regarding a new manufacturer of what are essentially Fender copies, unless you are very lucky you are pretty much doomed to failure if you can't do one of two things:

1. Build functional but basic, straight copies of P and J Basses and sell them for less than a Squier versions.

2. Make custom built copies that superficially look like a P or J Basses but have been individually tailored to the customer's needs whether it be simply a custom finish/fancy woods or something more radical like neck-through construction - similar to what Sei offer with their J Bass inspired instruments, but still be able to sell them for less than the typical Fender Custom Shop instrument.

I think if you're going to copy the body shape then you might as well go with it for the headstock too (subject to trademarks...).

If you're going to get more radical, then do a coherent style across the whole instrument.

(IMHO, of course!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prowla said:

I think if you're going to copy the body shape then you might as well go with it for the headstock too (subject to trademarks...).

If you're going to get more radical, then do a coherent style across the whole instrument.

(IMHO, of course!)

I think the point is to show what it would look like with a more conventional headstock.

An option could be buying one and and chopping refinishing the headstock.

It’s interesting isn’t it, how wrong it looks without the headstock we’re all conditioned to expect to see with Fender style basses.

Would be interesting to see what a poll of outsiders (totally unfamiliar with bass guitars) thought about which looked better... That said it doesn’t really matter what they would think as they wouldn’t be buying one anyway 🤔 

• Like 1

Gotsta target your target audience!

Even if people are conditioned to like something, (which on one hand I see your point, but on the other I don't 100% agree with as I don't own any Fender basses and I really love the look of all the non-fender headstock I do own (ACG, De Gier, Bee Bass, Conklin, Overwater, Aries, Yamaha, Warwick etc.)) you need to target what they like, be it due to conditioning or not. We're all conditioned in varying degrees, essentially 'conditioning' is what turns the blank slate you are born with into an individual personality.

That being said, I still really do not like (personal opinion) the headstock Bite offer at all. It is (to me) clunky awkward, a bit ugly and really spoils the basses aesthetics and I wouldn't buy from them because of this and this alone. In my humble opinion of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

To me, the headstock just makes me think of the cheapo guitar packages that used to get advertised in the Grattan catalogue back in the day bundled with a tiny amp, a strap and a lead for £30 or something. I’m not sure that what the manufacturer are after, but that what it makes me think. Ha ha, it’s called BITE and it has a bite shape at the end. Funny. For about 5 seconds.

I Spotted the bass on youtube being played by the tapping guy (very well) ,the headstock looked different so I knew it was a lesser known builder but given who was playing thought it must be a decent builder

.I Don't love or hate the headstock ,its just different .Like all the nearly Fenders are.Different like a Bongo is,different like a Dingwall is .

I really don't like the shape of a bongo or a good chunk of basses out there.Some costing 1000s but someone clearly does . I don't like the look of most of the Fenderlikes again some costing a lot of money but clearly some do .I Don't see why BITE and their headstock can't have a place . Some will like it some will not . 

I don't dislike the shorter headstock, but then I'm strange and like the G&L headstock.

If I were in the market for a four string Fender style bass, I'd certainly consider them based on what I've heard of the pickups, so long I could try one in the flesh first.

However, I'm not in the market for any basses at the moment, especially not four strings, so all academic anyway.

16 hours ago, Graham said:

If I were in the market for a four string Fender style bass, I'd certainly consider them based on what I've heard of the pickups, so long I could try one in the flesh first.

So if you were why would you consider one of these over a proper Fender, or one of the established and respected copyists such as Sandberg, Maruszczyk, G&L, etc.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

So if you were why would you consider one of these over a proper Fender, or one of the established and respected copyists such as Sandberg, Maruszczyk, G&L, etc.

I liked the sound of the pickups in the demo video, which would be enough to make me long-list one ahead of playing one, now there's a headstock option that I don't find completely off-putting. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, binky_bass said:

A Bongo and its overall style is 100% different, and yes totally Marmite. But a 'Fender Copy' with a different headstock pretty much alienates 90% of the market. Sure 10% will dig it, but as a business do you want the 90% or the 10%?

It hasn't alienated all the Fender looky like players out there thus far with their slant on a different head stock .To be fair they've all wandered not too far from the blueprint fender style