Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools

spectoremg

It was ok, I guess. Lewis Capaldi plainly has some chops and has good comic timing when interviewed too. However, the mix still seems poor for the most part and do we really need yet another terrible version of Johnny B Goode? I can get that down at the local pub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

It was ok, I guess. Lewis Capaldi plainly has some chops and has good comic timing when interviewed too. However, the mix still seems poor for the most part and do we really need yet another terrible version of Johnny B Goode? I can get that down at the local pub.

Who did Johnny? Capaldi?

13 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

That Claudia Winkleperson is not a bad singer.....

Was she on the Jools show last night. I only saw a quick clip of Lewis Capaldi that i thought was pretty good. Did see a tiny end clip of someone with a violin that looked interesting and different. Didn't hear enough of her performance to really judge tho.

Dave

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Was she on the Jools show last night. I only saw a quick clip of Lewis Capaldi that i thought was pretty good. Did see a tiny end clip of someone with a violin that looked interesting and different. Didn't hear enough of her performance to really judge tho.

Dave

Sorry you need to have seen it, it was Imelda May  with Ronnie Wood who now wears her hair very similarly to Claud...

On 05/11/2019 at 16:58, skankdelvar said:

rainbow.jpg

I think that Mr Bonnet's problem was that he had his hair cut short at a time when for a metallist to do so was neither profitable nor popular. 

That, and the fact that his stage-wear made him look like a Poundland Don Johnson out of Miami Vice. I'm astonished that the notoriously pernicketty Mr Ritchie Blackmore didn't have a word with him about the image thing, Ritchie being such a fashion avatar and all

I seem to recall that the always calm Mr Blackmore said he considered hitting him round the head with his guitar when he had it cut. 😂

An interesting thing about music, like many other things, is you tend to remember the good and forget the bad. On the way to a gig recently we were listening to the top 20 on the radio from that same week in both 1974 and 1984. We cheered at 1974, but in reality it was awful. Loads of really bad soul/r&b that I’d completely forgotten, and have now forgotten again. The only decent things were Queen - head and shoulders above anything else - and David Essex. It wasn’t what I’d remembered 1974 being like at all. For balance, 1984 was possibly marginally worse. 😉

• Like 1

Mr Capaldi seems a very funny guy, but I couldn’t understand a word he was singing, which was a shame as he can clearly hold a note. Although the weird wobbly bottom jaw thing at the end of each sentence was a bit distracting. 

I think Ronnie should have let Ms May take the vocals tbh. 
Foals were not unpleasant, violin person was interesting, I liked the harmonies in the strat playing female lead singer band. 

My comprehensive and informative  reviews are available for a large fee

I like Ron. An old rocker giving a couple of old pot boilers a blast. Great fun. The vocals were a little croaky, but what do you expect? The guy should be dead and he's out there, into his 70's, still rocking his socks off. The Wild 5 pumped more energy into a playing a few 12 bars that the rest of the studio put into all theirs songs put together. If you're going to criticize the pedal steel playing, well, I'm with you there.

I've seen many Ron Wood gigs, from the Birds to the Stones. I'm sure I remember more of them than he does!

OK shoot me! Despite the obvious "moments", it was the high point of the series for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

The Wild 5 pumped more energy into a playing a few 12 bars that the rest of the studio put into all theirs songs put together.

I guess we all see different things and as you said, you like him. I was never bothered about him either way and I think it was the most lifeless johnny b goode I have seen since there was a group of 16 year olds busking it outside our local record shop a few years ago. And I think if I was on a stage with Imelda May I think I would have probably let her sing!

Was it foals the beardy hipster group there? I had heard them before but not been impressed, but they seemed pretty good on that, I would certainly listen again. Didn't like the  

The violin woman I thought was going to be bad, but I was playing the piano at the time and joined in and it was enjoyable so I guess she was ok!

Lewis Capaldi was a bit bank / christmas advert for me. 

The girl singer group, I didn't like their song much but I loved their actual sound, especially the sound of her strat.

Enjoyed Lewis Capaldi, first time I've actually listened to him. Far better than Mr Sheeran.

Ronnie & Imelda... thank goodness for fast forward.

Foals - first track (Black Stallion?) was good, the other tracks were lacklustre IMO.

Nilufer Yanya was good.

Sudan Archives... interesting, but a bit unimpressed with the sequencer.