Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools

spectoremg

50 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm guessing everyone thinks that  99% of music they hear is gash but differ in their thinking which 1% is good.

Guess again my friend!

I believe that people's fondness for larger percentages of popular music is dependent on their era in which they were teenage / maybe early 20's? For example, growing up in the 70's I liked a far larger proportion of chart stuff (say 70%) than I do now (say 20%). This is of course inevitable as pop music was (and still is) primarily aimed at young people. Things I didn't like were the more obvious rubbish such as 'Grandad' (as mentioned above) and similar 'novelty' records, and MOR howlers which were probably bought by an older generation anyway. But I inhaled all the other great things of that decade - Soul/disco, Glam, Country rock and punk/new wave amongst others. All very different genres but still relevant to my 17 year old self. This continued right through to now, although there are some genres I do struggle with enjoying (grime, techno, EDM etc) so my love of all things current has gradually diminished. This is made obvious when I'm watching Later with Jools, where I usually only like one or two of the acts each week. BUT - there is some new music being made that interests me, and I'm grateful that this can still be viewed on mainstream TV. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I rather think you'll find that Dec 19th 1993 is the generally agreed date when popular music went completely to sh*t. 

Thank goodness for acid jazz which managed to cling on to the public consciousness for it's life until around 1996.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

Good debate this – I'm now wondering what it must be like to move between playing bass with Bowie and Clive Dunn 😐

I can forgive Mr Flowers the great transgression of inflicting that on the population (and the flat wound string thing) as he is totally brilliant on, at the very least:-

Space Oddity - D Bowie

Rock On - David Essex

Walk in the Wild Side - Lou Reed

If he got a lot of money from royalties from the Clive Dunn song (CD was aged 51 at the time of recording and made to look 80), good on him - I think he only got sessions rates for at least some of the others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

And that was so long ago that probably a very large proportion of those girls in that choir are now grandmothers.

Possible - some became actresses, at least one in Coronation St. That song was another infliction on the population..... there have been many. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I was exposed to a whole plethora of people who had the view music died when the Beatles became famous - and if not then definitely at the end of the 60s. 

Among a cornucopia of excellent points you draw attention to a relatively obscure but nevertheless interesting tribe, notable for their devotion to British artists such as Dickie Valentine, Johnny Gently, Adam Faith and others of that ilk. Some of these adherents consider The Shadows to be dangerously radical while viewing artists such as Mr Eddie Cochran and Mr Gene Vincent as threats to public safety.

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

out of control 😏 stage clothes ... afghan coats and beads ... Flared trousers being made up from curtain material etc etc! 

This is what they need. Bohemian apparel, I mean.

Most UK popsters de nos jours look like nothing so much as code monkeys on their way to a strategy meeting.

6 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Most UK popsters de nos jours look like nothing so much as code monkeys on their way to a strategy meeting.

I've found that most UK pub bands are similar - jeans and rock t shirts all round if particularly rockin', or jeans and ironed (tis the Devil's work!!!) check shirt for more straight-ahead covers.

While the Lady Gagas of this world may produce some amazingly dreary music, at least she dresses like a complete eejit - which is to be applauded!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've found that most UK pub bands are similar - jeans and rock t shirts all round if particularly rockin'

There's the thing, y'see. What's a band to do now that pretty much everyone dresses casual all the time, even - or especially - if they work in an office? One either looks the same as the audience or one must wear a dress made out of bacon, just to stand out.

True story: One time we were on a multi-band bill with an originals outfit whose set was based on their self-recorded concept album about the ghastliness of society in general and capitalism in particular. To emphasise the oppressive uniformity inherent in the system these guys all dressed up in M&S suits and ties and lace-up black shoes. As the band went onstage a wag in the audience cried out 'Have you come here straight from work?' and the landlord sidled up to me and said 'Christ, you'd think they'd put in a effort and make a show. They look like a bunch of f**king accountants'.

Which was, of course, the band's aim but which ran aground on the reef of popular incomprehension. As these things do.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

One either looks the same as the audience or one must wear a dress made out of bacon, just to stand out.

You don't necessarily need pork-based products wrapped round your nether regions to look like an eejit - I find there's slightly less smelly ways 😁 (BTW, I bought this outfit in 1990 in Portobello Road, and it a) still fits and b) hasn't disintegrated due to toxic sweat overload... And apologies for sticking up yet more daft pics of yours-misanthropically)

608867072_ChokedDownOnTheFarm11-8-19CU.thumb.jpg.ed6526837e6410391d47f9e7a6f96ac1.jpg

• Like 5

And when teh music gets boiring it isn't time to moan - it's time to REBEL!!!

Do you remember lying in bed
With your covers pulled up over your head?
Radio playin' so no one can see
We need change, we need it fast
Before rock's just part of the past
'Cause lately it all sounds the same to me
Oh oh oh oh, oh oh

9 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Which was, of course, the band's aim but which ran aground on the reef of popular incomprehension. As these things do.

A great example of the great, writhing serpent of irony trying too hard and eating it's own tail.  At which point I'd imagine much angst would be generated over being misunderstood and not appreciated.  Cue: Flailing of teeth and much gnashing of fists.  Mind you, if this was the late 70's I thought most amateur mod bands dressed like that anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

At which point I'd imagine much angst would be generated over being misunderstood and not appreciated.  Cue: Flailing of teeth and much gnashing of fists. 

Actually, they seemed to be entirely unaware that their subtle costume gambit was - er - falling on deaf ears

8 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Mind you, if this was the late 70's I thought most amateur mod bands dressed like that anyway.

Nah. It was around 2004 at a toilet gig in London's glamorous West End.

16 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

True story: One time we were on a multi-band bill with an originals outfit whose set was based on their self-recorded concept album about the ghastliness of society in general and capitalism in particular. To emphasise the oppressive uniformity inherent in the system these guys all dressed up in M&S suits and ties and lace-up black shoes. As the band went onstage a wag in the audience cried out 'Have you come here straight from work?' and the landlord sidled up to me and said 'Christ, you'd think they'd put in a effort and make a show. They look like a bunch of f**king accountants'.

h yes, Rainbow. Graham Bonnet era...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

h yes, Rainbow. Graham Bonnet era...

rainbow.jpg

I think that Mr Bonnet's problem was that he had his hair cut short at a time when for a metallist to do so was neither profitable nor popular. 

That, and the fact that his stage-wear made him look like a Poundland Don Johnson out of Miami Vice. I'm astonished that the notoriously pernicketty Mr Ritchie Blackmore didn't have a word with him about the image thing, Ritchie being such a fashion avatar and all

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

That, and the fact that his stage-wear made him look like a Poundland Don Johnson out of Miami Vice.

🤣

Wikipedia describes his style as being a cross between Don Johnson and James Dean. Perhaps they meant James Blunt?

A troubled career with some short sojourns in same bands, one exit being down to an unfortunate 'wardrobe malfunction' in the zipper department.

Still his influence spreads far and wide,or at least as far as Joe Bonamassa, every bluesman's favourite accountant.

Hmm... Bonnett, Bonamassa, Watts -  the seeds of a potential sartorial supergroup?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

🤣

Wikipedia describes his style as being a cross between Don Johnson and James Dean. Perhaps they meant James Blunt?

A troubled career with some short sojourns in same bands, one exit being down to an unfortunate 'wardrobe malfunction' in the zipper department.

Still his influence spreads far and wide,or at least as far as Joe Bonamassa, every bluesman's favourite accountant.

Hmm... Bonnett, Bonamassa, Watts -  the seeds of a potential sartorial supergroup?

And his other half is a bass player, Beth Ami Heavenstone, so he’s doing something right.👍

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

rainbow.jpg

I think that Mr Bonnet's problem was that he had his hair cut short at a time when for a metallist to do so was neither profitable nor popular. 

That, and the fact that his stage-wear made him look like a Poundland Don Johnson out of Miami Vice. I'm astonished that the notoriously pernicketty Mr Ritchie Blackmore didn't have a word with him about the image thing, Ritchie being such a fashion avatar and all

Take a look at (unfortunately the now deceased) Scott Weiland, I think Mr Bonnet had more than a slight influence on his look at times.