Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools

spectoremg

18 hours ago, ahpook said:

a burke playing spoons in an ethnic hat

I intend no disrespect to my good friend the learned Professor @ahpook when I tentatively venture to point out that the correct spelling is 'berk'. 

Berk is a contraction of Berkshire (pronounced as in 'work' rather than 'bark') the county name being here a component of the word formation Berkshire Hunt,  a passing reference to a long-established aggregation of fox hunting types but in this instance employed more specifically as an example of Cockernee rhyming slang.

Berk = Berkshire Hunt = a pejorative term or insult which rhymes with '-unt'.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

I intend no disrespect to my good friend the learned Professor @ahpook when I tentatively venture to point out that the correct spelling is 'berk'. 

Berk is a contraction of Berkshire (pronounced as in 'work' rather than 'bark') the county name being here a component of the word formation Berkshire Hunt,  a passing reference to a long-established aggregation of fox hunting types but in this instance employed more specifically as an example of Cockernee rhyming slang.

Berk = Berkshire Hunt = a pejorative term or insult which rhymes with '-unt'.

You live and learn!

*James Naughtie likes this*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jacko said:

Her last (post divorce?) album was as depressing as brexit and only got played once in this house. let's hope she returns to something with a bit of life in it.

Fair enough - I suppose it is a typical break-up album.

Here's the band on Jools' show, as an excuse to keep on topic:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spongebob said:

On the plus side, it'll soon be time for the Hootenanny! Ruby Tuner and KT Tunstall....again......probably.....

Get to see that very annoying bloke walking around with his clock face. Nearly a typo.....!😉

Shh. It's not live....

I'll take Ruby Tuner... a welcome change from Ruby Turner.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

Yep. There seems to be a strange need in the UK to be rude about and rubbish people who are successful.

Why would any musician criticise another who manages to work hard and smart enough to make a living out of his talents.

In one my friend. Its music, its never going to be everyone's taste. Its a music show and not a "reality" tossfest, be thankful. 

3 hours ago, spongebob said:

On the plus side, it'll soon be time for the Hootenanny! Ruby Tuner and KT Tunstall....again......probably.....

Get to see that very annoying bloke walking around with his clock face. Nearly a typo.....!😉

Not forgetting Gregory Porter, Seasick Steve and Dexys (not at the same time though - that would be strange)! 🤒

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Not forgetting Gregory Porter, Seasick Steve and Dexys (not at the same time though - that would be strange)! 🤒

I'm sure he's a fine singer and a good bloke but I've never quite got the all-round kudos Gregory Porter gets . He seems like a permanent resident of Later and yet there are entire genres that barely get a look in

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

My suggestion to Later would be to add a series of specials to the schedule. I seem to recall that in the early days Jools went to New Orleans for a show about the music down there.

There have been, and still are, plenty of gigs that Later could cover. a few years ago Jeff Beck at Ronnies, this month Jon Cleary at Ronnies. A couple of years ago Keb Mo at the Union Chappel and Vulfpeck and Vintage Trouble. . .  all missed. The Funk Brothers came to the Festival Hall in 2000. In 2005 the Muscle Shoals, Hi and Stax studio guys came over and played at the Barbican. All these gigs should have been covered, but they weren't! There must be many examples in other genres.

Never mind knocking what is already on TV, what about all the missed opportunities?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

My suggestion to Later would be to add a series of specials to the schedule. I seem to recall that in the early days Jools went to New Orleans for a show about the music down there.

There have been, and still are, plenty of gigs that Later could cover. a few years ago Jeff Beck at Ronnies, this month Jon Cleary at Ronnies. A couple of years ago Keb Mo at the Union Chappel and Vulfpeck and Vintage Trouble. . .  all missed. The Funk Brothers came to the Festival Hall in 2000. In 2005 the Muscle Shoals, Hi and Stax studio guys came over and played at the Barbican. All these gigs should have been covered, but they weren't! There must be many examples in other genres.

Never mind knocking what is already on TV, what about all the missed opportunities?

You could start a new thread on the missed opportunities. 

On 20/09/2019 at 16:51, mikel said:

So its now "miserable" to be pro and positive about another musician, rather than joining in the bad mouthing? I will settle for that, happily.

Irrelevant how professional and successful another musician is people are entitled to their own opinions about that person good or bad and voicing that opinion if it’s negative doesn't mean you are bad mouthing them

I'm sure there are musicians that you don’t particularly favour or you think are overrated etc 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The Smiths for starters.

My list is really long Ian Wadkins, Pete Doherty, Kanye West just to name a few and to make it perfectly clear “I AM BAD MOUTHING THEM!!” And I challenge anyone to come up with anything POSITIVE about them!!..........🤬

Edited by Jimothey

On 23/09/2019 at 01:47, Jimothey said:

Irrelevant how professional and successful another musician is people are entitled to their own opinions about that person good or bad and voicing that opinion if it’s negative doesn't mean you are bad mouthing them

I'm sure there are musicians that you don’t particularly favour or you think are overrated etc 

I have no issue with that, music is subjective. I took issue with being labeled "Miserable" for not lining up to take a pop at the show.