Why become a member? ×

Later with Jools

spectoremg

You could make your own show up.

Go onto youtube and pick a video from an ancient bluesman, a 'challenging' modern-ish band, somebody who won a BBC jazz award three years ago and a burke playing spoons in an ethnic hat.

OK ? Now flick between them and a vid of Joolz on boogie woogie piano, over and over again. Play Joooolz at the same time as one of the vids....it won't fit, but that never stops Joooooooolz.

Turn the bass waaay down and you'll not notice the difference.

Not that I watch it of course, it's shiite.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 7
  • Haha 14

28 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Go onto youtube and pick a video from an ancient bluesman, a 'challenging' modern-ish band, somebody who won a BBC jazz award three years ago and a burke playing spoons in an ethnic hat.

OK ? Now flick between them and a vid of Joolz on boogie woogie piano, over and over again. Play Joooolz at the same time as one of the vids....it won't fit, but that never stops Joooooooolz.

You forget the latest 'grime' person to appeal to the urban yoof

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mentalextra said:

You forget the latest 'grime' person to appeal to the urban yoof

Is that what you get now instead of the NME's current favourite landfill indie haircut band? Not watched it for about 4 years - my, how times change.

Used to force myself to sit through it as it was the only live music on TV. In recent years I appear to have exhausted my supply of giveafuk.

Edited by Bassassin
Fuk u, nanny filter.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I don't mind admitting that Imelda May singing Black Tears on 'Jools' was so bloody good it made me cry (ironic)... although that was on new year's eve, and a few years ago I might add, so hardly relevant.

It's also irrelevant that Imelda May is probably one of my favorite singers of all time. She is (in my view), also extremely lovely, awesome and sexy.

👌

• Like 1

I like to watch it to see how many Precision players there are per show.  Plus, methinks you're all being a bit harsh.  True, Jools can't interview for toffees and he does have some spectacularly awful acts from time to time.  But hey, since Old Grey Whistle Test - what has there been?  Bring back Whispering Bob.

Davo

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

I like to watch it to see how many Precision players there are per show.  Plus, methinks you're all being a bit harsh.  True, Jools can't interview for toffees and he does have some spectacularly awful acts from time to time.  But hey, since Old Grey Whistle Test - what has there been?  Bring back Whispering Bob.

Davo

Amen to that brother

Edited by Oopsdabassist
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ahpook said:

not forgetting the 2 and half minute chats with some nongenarian soul/easy listening  'icon' of which 2 minutes is Jools doffing his cap and toadying to said icon and 30 seconds is said icon saying something like how great it is to be back in Eng-er-land and he/she will be playing their new album in its entirity at the Ferret & Whistle in Dalston for 10 nights on the spin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mentalextra said:

It's a BC hardy perennial!

Yep. There seems to be a strange need in the UK to be rude about and rubbish people who are successful.

Why would any musician criticise another who manages to work hard and smart enough to make a living out of his talents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Yep. There seems to be a strange need in the UK to be rude about and rubbish people who are successful.

Why would any musician criticise another who manages to work hard and smart enough to make a living out of his talents.

I think its the show thats being critiqued not individual musicians.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I think its the show thats being critiqued not individual musicians.

I think you'll find the acts and the show are in the firing line.

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Does Jools have any input what is shown? He is just the presenter... I would imagine he just turns up and gets told what’s on the show and what dross questions to ask. I’d take that work to be honest.

It used to be the case that the producer picked the acts and JH just presented, but for a long time now he's also been on the list of producers. Not sure if that gives him any extra powers or is just another revenue stream.

8 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I don't mind admitting that Imelda May singing Black Tears on 'Jools' was so bloody good it made me cry (ironic)... although that was on new year's eve, and a few years ago I might add, so hardly relevant.

It's also irrelevant that Imelda May is probably one of my favorite singers of all time. She is (in my view), also extremely lovely, awesome and sexy.

👌

Her last (post divorce?) album was as depressing as brexit and only got played once in this house. let's hope she returns to something with a bit of life in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Does Jools have any input what is shown? He is just the presenter... I would imagine he just turns up and gets told what’s on the show and what dross questions to ask. I’d take that work to be honest.

I doubt he has any input. 

When the show first started in the early nineties it felt like the lineup was at least curated, to some extent, but in recent years it just feels like another record company promotional tool.

Like @chris_b I’m a ‘record it and watch it on fast forward’ viewer.

7 hours ago, Davo-London said:

But hey, since Old Grey Whistle Test - what has there been?  Bring back Whispering Bob.

Davo

The Tube, for one. The White Room too. Both shows had the bands playing 2-3 song sets, like OGWT, which I prefer to the Later... format of ‘one song and move on’. 

• Like 1