Why become a member? ×

14 days trial/SBL

wishface

Scotts Bass Lessons that is.

I can't really afford a regular subscription, so I'm wondering how much use just 14 days on the site would be? I presume you can't just go in and spend 14 days downloading everything to use at your leisure.

I seaw the trailer for the Prog Metal stuff, which looks interesting. I do like some prog (you can leave the vomit vocals at home though :D)

I entered my email, but didn't continue as I'm not sure I want to put my credit card detail in just yet. That's fine. But my god, do they send you A TON of emails for this that and the other!

Also a give away (for a bass no less, nice!) that allows you to click a link multiple times to get multiple entries? That seems pure clickbait. I'm not convinced by that sort of practice, though not surprised. A bit disappointing

2 hours ago, wishface said:

I entered my email, but didn't continue as I'm not sure I want to put my credit card detail in just yet. That's fine. But my god, do they send you A TON of emails for this that and the other!

Also a give away (for a bass no less, nice!) that allows you to click a link multiple times to get multiple entries? That seems pure clickbait. I'm not convinced by that sort of practice, though not surprised. A bit disappointing

From one "face" to another...

I think the credit card thing is standard practice for a free trial. It's annoying, I know, but it's par for the course. You just have to be sensible enough to cancel the agreement within the time and you'll not be charged. I agree about the competitions but you can just ignore them. Ditto all the emails - they can be annoying but I'd sooner have spam about basses than erectile dysfunction. Moving swiftly on....

We need to balance this with the fact that SBL contains a lot of really great content - all free with absolutely no catch. I've no doubt that with some self-discipline you could educate yourself to a prolific standard with the free stuff that Scott and others like him put out. 

As I lack this self discipline, I too get tempted occasionally. I almost signed up for the recent "practice accelerator" but had an honest chat with myself and had to admit that I probably could not commit the time, just at the moment. I was spammed cross-eyed over that one ("just three seconds left to sign up" etc.) but I guess it's his living and I think he's a fantastic teacher with a really natural, unassuming personality. Doubtless this conceals a terrifying, cynical, magnate (alnico?) running an empire of bass-based-evil from a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Leeds but I can live with that. 

"Ahhh... Mr Bond. I see here that you have not met your practice targets for slap triplets for the month. I am very disappointed."

sbl-evil-copy.jpg

Edited by Baceface
  • Haha 6

I think he's a good teacher. He seems like a nice guy. I'm not criticising him at all and I'm happy his site is successful.

It's just a shame to have to use such clickbaity means, but that's the way of the world. That's how Youtube works,

The competitions are nice, I certainly would love to win a bass worth big bucks - who wouldn't? But again allowing multiple clicks is just a marketing strategy. It doesn't offend me though. I keep it in proportion.

I do maintain a healthy scepticism of signing up with a card for a free trial. Yes it is standard practice but knowing I can't really afford to go beyond, do I really need to be signing over my details on another website?

C'est la vie I guess

• Like 1

On 19/09/2019 at 08:53, wishface said:

It's just a shame to have to use such clickbaity means, but that's the way of the world. That's how Youtube works,

I know what you mean. My biggest complaint is that the cost of membership isn't stated.

I assume that means it's expensive. However, I also realise that "expensive" is a relative term and I can compare the cost with private lessons and work out if the relative merits of SBL membership make it worthwhile.

Keeping the cost hidden just puts me off. I really rate what I've seen of his content but wish he'd be upfront about the charges.

I think he's working with investors now, since this took off. Acording to one newspapre article I read. I suspect this is their side of things. He's just a bass player/teacher, not an internet sales guru and this sort of thing is how those people behave.

Not sure I'd agree the costs are hidden per se. But you do have to create an account first, which of course puts you on the mailing list so you end up getting all this stuff. A bit annoying. Once you do that you are invited to choose a plan. I don't like that, but it's how everybody operates unfortunately. They all rely on hoping you'll forget to cancel as its set up to charge by default. It's not deceptive, but it is shady