Why become a member? ×

well known artists that never or hardly ever do gigs

Barking Spiders

8 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Sisters of Mercy seem to do a small handful every year and also never record anymore.

I think Eldritch just grabs a couple of handy musos whenever he needs a bit more towards his legal bills lol... saw them about 2001, utterly soulless

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It's actually hard to see some of these artist that were big stars in the 60s and 70s playing to 100 people in small clubs because they need the money.

Blue

This reminds me of that excellent documentary Only the Strong Survive featuring (among others) the very excellent Rufus Thomas and Sam Moore. Sadly, some of the artists were playing small venues struggling to make a living.

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Paul is still selling out 40,000 seats with no problem. But Paul's an exception for a myriad of reasons.

Blue

Yes, but the Beatles stopped gigging in 1966 and didn't stop making albums until 1970.

I'd consider them the original 'band that stopped gigging but still had success'

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 09:38, Barking Spiders said:

Apart from some electronica outfits what bands or artists have managed to have long recording careers while hardly, if ever, gigging. Heaven 17 didn't while they were at their 80s peak but then once they hit their 50s decided to tour their first two albums!. Cracking live they were too.

S'funny, I was reading about Penthouse & Pavement recently. Apparently, the pavement side was largely influenced by the (fab) basslines of session player John Wilson, who completely went to ground after the band didn't bother to pay him for a bunch of sessions later on - and they've never been able to contact him since!

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, but the Beatles stopped gigging in 1966 and didn't stop making albums until 1970.

I'd consider them the original 'band that stopped gigging but still had success'

Good point and at a time when most bands didn't have the luxury of not touring.

Even by 1970 the technology was not quite there for live performance. Nothing compared to what big productions are today.

Blue

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Good point and at a time when most bands didn't have the luxury of not touring.

Even by 1970 the technology was not quite there for live performance. Nothing compared to what big productions are today.

Blue

I read that they were fed up of not being able to hear themselves over the screaming audiences!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

S'funny, I was reading about Penthouse & Pavement recently. Apparently, the pavement side was largely influenced by the (fab) basslines of session player John Wilson, who completely went to ground after the band didn't bother to pay him for a bunch of sessions later on - and they've never been able to contact him since!

I believe it was another band that didn’t pay John, for a later session,  not Heaven 17?

John Wilson was only seventeen when he recorded with Heaven 17, he was just some kid who Glenn Gregory knew through work. I think he played all the guitar parts on Penthouse and Pavement too. Amazing.

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I read that they were fed up of not being able to hear themselves over the screaming audiences!

True, they performed without any kind of stage monitors in large venues.However there were other issues. 

They were no longer a little dance hall band and their material became very sophisticated and the technology was not there to perform it live. I will say their live performance of "Nowhere Man"  is impressive.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I believe it was another band that didn’t pay John, for a later session,  not Heaven 17?

Ah, I'm sure you're right.

I'd taken it that somebody (from H 17) hadn't paid him. But I see what you mean. It could alternatively read as that 'somebody' was another band.

A case of semantics. 🙂

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

John Wilson was only seventeen when he recorded with Heaven 17, he was just some kid who Glenn Gregory knew through work. I think he played all the guitar parts on Penthouse and Pavement too. Amazing.

Wow, I'd never considered that he could have been that young. Awesome playing. :hi:

Edited by Ricky 4000
punctuation

10 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

You are John Wilson and I claim my fiver!😆

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I wondered what happened to him as he doesn't seem to have appeared on anything I've heard since. Live it was Julian Crampton and a fine job he made of it too