Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Nate Mendel Precision

radiophonic

My first new bass in about 3 years. I'm not into relics and I don't like the Foo Fighters. Fender should just make a stock version of this bass. I wanted a P-bass with a rosewood board and this one is a nicer colour than the stock Mexican offerings and has a decent bridge and Seymour Duncans. The Nitro finish means that it doesn't feel like bass has been plastic coated and the fake road wear means that I won't care when the real thing happens. Definitely a stage bass. I've never owned a precision but this sounds exactly how I expected it to. Once I get some Nickel wound strings on it and lower the action a bit, it will be perfect. The 'A' neck is nowhere close to any Jazz that I've ever played (despite some internet review claims), but a bit chunkier than my Stingray, albeit sightly narrower at the nut. What's to say? It looks like a Fender, has a big 70s Fender logo and plays like a Fender. Big beefy precision tone and I'm looking forward to cranking it up at the next practice. 

755171373_Photo16-09-2019210657.thumb.jpg.74f0116afae503c07e5ff05c84c2e20f.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

They're not supposed to have a Jazz neck - its just a less chunky Precision neck. On of the nicest necks i've ever played and a great bass.

I realise that, but several forum posts elsewhere made the comparison. I didn't pay much heed because the nut measurements were obviously way different. I do recall playing an early 70s Jazz that was surprisingly chunky, but I think it was also a bit wonky and had a very high action.  I've never got on with Jazz necks anyway! It's chunky enough for me - certainly a noticeable increase on my Stingray - but still pretty easy to play. It's also extremely high output for a passive bass - louder than my Stingray for sure, although less extended obviously. I'm wondering how low I can get the action and I really must lose the stainless steel strings. They just feel all wrong these days.

1 minute ago, Jonse said:

Fab basses, wish they'd extend the road worn line further. Give us a road worn tele bass already! 

I just don't get why they don't offer the neck as an option on the other MIM basses (since they make it anyway) and why are they able to offer a rosewood board on this single MIM model. Fenders are basically modular after all. OTOH I suspect they are a bit embarrassed by the bridge being a significant mechanical upgrade on the usual sardine can. It even has a Fender logo on it! For the record it was a toss up between this and a 'Performer' P/J. They look like good basses, but this is waaay cooler.

13 hours ago, radiophonic said:

I just don't get why they don't offer the neck as an option on the other MIM basses (since they make it anyway) and why are they able to offer a rosewood board on this single MIM model. Fenders are basically modular after all. OTOH I suspect they are a bit embarrassed by the bridge being a significant mechanical upgrade on the usual sardine can. It even has a Fender logo on it! For the record it was a toss up between this and a 'Performer' P/J. They look like good basses, but this is waaay cooler.

You made the right choice. 

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

As far as I'm aware the neck is modelled on a B profile neck, which is slightly slimmer than regular P basses.

I have a '70 with a B neck, and its certainly smaller in hand than the 1990s USA P I had at the same time.

It was listed as an 'A' profile / shallow C. I've played a few P-Basses and although they've varied quite a bit, this is definitely narrower at the nut (1.615" apparently). It's not noticeably shallower though, so it's a tad more baseball bat-like but still basically feels like a precision. I don't have big hands but even though I'm aware of the size, it's surprisingly easy to play.  When I go back to the Stingray, it feels like a guitar by comparison though.

4 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

It was listed as an 'A' profile / shallow C. I've played a few P-Basses and although they've varied quite a bit, this is definitely narrower at the nut (1.615" apparently). It's not noticeably shallower though, so it's a tad more baseball bat-like but still basically feels like a precision. I don't have big hands but even though I'm aware of the size, it's surprisingly easy to play.  When I go back to the Stingray, it feels like a guitar by comparison though.

Wow - ok i didnt realise that it was A profile.

Sounds interesting tho. I've only played one Nate Mendel and it felt very comfortable.

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

Wow - ok i didnt realise that it was A profile.

Sounds interesting tho. I've only played one Nate Mendel and it felt very comfortable.

....although according to Fender 'A' is 1.5" and B is 1.625", so 1.615 is really a one off. I wonder if they just bodged a batch of B necks in 1971?

15 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

It's entirely possible. 

I guess it just comes down to whether it feels good or not! 

It does! But it's odd that they never repeated it. By 71, the CBS ownership was in full swing and the quality had got pretty variable and AFAIK, they didn't announce it as a new neck, it just came and then went (see also the bridge pickup position on 70s Jazz basses - they just did it, then stopped doing it). There was no driver at the wheel. I get to use it anger for the first time tonight... 

56 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

It does! But it's odd that they never repeated it. By 71, the CBS ownership was in full swing and the quality had got pretty variable and AFAIK, they didn't announce it as a new neck, it just came and then went (see also the bridge pickup position on 70s Jazz basses - they just did it, then stopped doing it). There was no driver at the wheel. I get to use it anger for the first time tonight... 

Enjoy!