Why become a member? ×

'51 Precision?

Quilly

3 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Beware hidden quality issues on the PB50. I wanted to remove the scratchplate for a ‘Sting’ look, but when I did I found a big hole drilled into the body, plus tbe very apparent edge of the photo flame paper. Scratchplate back on... 

Oh, and the pots didn’t work either. 

Turned out ok in the end though.  

8609051D-9E76-460B-B1E5-63B8CC056238.jpeg

8EA898AB-E4F2-4AFD-81A7-F2B20CBC9F18.jpeg

1734C8FA-A5C5-484D-9325-EB2280BF4EAF.jpeg

Not surprised at all by that hole, I’ve seen scars hidden under scratch plates in MIM fenders . 

• Like 1

Those single coil pick ups do sound great.  They are noisy of course and though they have the P bass sound, they have a bit more of a "twang" to them.  Very unique.  I enjoy recording with a Custom Shop '55 reissue with the that pick up. Many years ago I had an actual '56 and it had a very "tubby" sort of sound but that may have been my poor technique and crappy amp as much as anything. 

468750938_55pbass_reissue.thumb.jpg.d00545bc2596551d1cdb56985a011625.jpg

18 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The 'tubby' sound may have been because original 50's p basses had a 0.1 cap which removes most of the high end, so you lose definition.

You may be correct.  I was too young to know anything about that.  It did have a ground wire under the pick up cover that was left off the CS reissue in the photo.  I used only flats on it as that was really all you could get back then and I hated how bright they sounded when new!  LOL.  I purchased that old bass from a guy who had been in a fifties band for $75.00.  I certainly wish I still had it!  I have only one photo of it from my very first gig.  A church picnic when I was a teenager.  The amp was a cheapo piece of crap but I loved it.

750069555_MarksFirstGig-56Pbass.jpg.adb6d4f1c137e3c59bbabc32b5fa9deb.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Will the fender /squire pick guard work on the Harley Benton? The stock HB one looks rubbish 

I know HB's use fender dimensions, but not sure if a fender pickguard will be a direct fit.

What specifically looks "rubbish"? If the edges are a little rough, you just need to use some fine wet/dry sandpaper. 👍

Edited by hooky_lowdown

13 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I know HB's use fender dimensions, but not sure if a fender pickguard will be a direct fit.

What specifically looks "rubbish"? If the edges are a little rough, you just need to use some fine wet/dry sandpaper. 👍

Would have liked to have used a 3 ply pick guard but I might just leave it and sand down the edges, per Bruno Bass photos I thing removing it altogether might not be an option. It arrives today :) 

I had one a few years back. Well, the 54 MIJ re issue in paisley.

The thing that put me off it was that the E string somehow became stuck under the ridge of the single coil pup and nearly ripped the whole thing out!

Apart from that I quite liked it even though the output lacked a bit of definition.

4 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

I had one a few years back. Well, the 54 MIJ re issue in paisley.

The thing that put me off it was that the E string somehow became stuck under the ridge of the single coil pup and nearly ripped the whole thing out!

Apart from that I quite liked it even though the output lacked a bit of definition.

That is a common issue with that pick up!  It happened to me with the old '56 I had.  I wonder if that is what inspired the pick up cover.

On 20/09/2019 at 07:51, BrunoBass said:

Beware hidden quality issues on the PB50. I wanted to remove the scratchplate for a ‘Sting’ look, but when I did I found a big hole drilled into the body, plus tbe very apparent edge of the photo flame paper. Scratchplate back on... 

Oh, and the pots didn’t work either. 

Turned out ok in the end though.  

8609051D-9E76-460B-B1E5-63B8CC056238.jpeg

8EA898AB-E4F2-4AFD-81A7-F2B20CBC9F18.jpeg

1734C8FA-A5C5-484D-9325-EB2280BF4EAF.jpeg

Bruno , you were unlucky.

my bass arrived today! first impressions , a lovely sounding bass to start with and all components seem solid and solidly put together. I took off the scratch plate expecting a horror show and was pleasantly surprised to find no blemishes and continuous sunburst , so I’m leaving it off. The controls give a good gradual roll on roll off for both tone and vol. Action a little high but that’s to be expected. My only ‘faults’ I could see were that the fret ends felt a little sharp and I’m not convinced the pots will hold up (the knobs don’t have a grub screw to take them off and I can’t remove the plastic...annoying) the neck feels like it could do with a bit of a polish also. The only job that needs doing really is a fret job and set up. I may place the thumb rest over the pickup, 70s style. The pick guard wasn’t bad at all well smoothed off to be fair . Overall very happy ....just needs a bit of a finishing off.

9DFD876D-BE4A-4B60-9670-77CBFBD404A8.jpeg

5635F13D-FC5A-463B-B1E0-A553BAD54719.jpeg

B21BC7FB-C36B-4DC1-B6F3-403EF5FB66FA.jpeg

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Quilly said:

(the knobs don’t have a grub screw to take them off and I can’t remove the plastic...annoying)

Pass a shoelace underneath the knob,make a loop then pull upwards. No chance of slips and scratches.

BTW. Was your scratch plate 3 ply or have Thomann followed the big F and went with single ply these days ?

19 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Pass a shoelace underneath the knob,make a loop then pull upwards. No chance of slips and scratches.

BTW. Was your scratch plate 3 ply or have Thomann followed the big F and went with single ply these days ?

Cheers, single ply, fairly cheap and cheerful 

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

my bass arrived today! first impressions , a lovely sounding bass to start with and all components seem solid and solidly put together. I took off the scratch plate expecting a horror show and was pleasantly surprised to find no blemishes and continuous sunburst , so I’m leaving it off. The controls give a good gradual roll on roll off for both tone and vol. Action a little high but that’s to be expected. My only ‘faults’ I could see were that the fret ends felt a little sharp and I’m not convinced the pots will hold up (the knobs don’t have a grub screw to take them off and I can’t remove the plastic...annoying) the neck feels like it could do with a bit of a polish also. The only job that needs doing really is a fret job and set up. I may place the thumb rest over the pickup, 70s style. The pick guard wasn’t bad at all well smoothed off to be fair . Overall very happy ....just needs a bit of a finishing off.

Glad to hear it, looks like a peach! If I hadn’t have already reshaped the headstock and amber lacquered the neck I’d have returned mine.

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Good to see too that they’re now fitting a more traditional looking bridge. Mine came fitted with a modern high mass type bridge which looks a bit incongruous on a vintage style instrument. I’ve since replaced it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Glad to hear it, looks like a peach! If I hadn’t have already reshaped the headstock and amber lacquered the neck I’d have returned mine.

Yes it’s a great bass for the price but the neck feels a bit ‘raw’ like it needs a polish with some really fine sand paper or something. The ends of the frets just need to be filed a bit also . That’s all I’ll do I reckon 

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Cheers , that worked 👍

• Like 1